TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Replace HDD in Plus

I know we have a thread for HDD questions but it is too long to dig in to find the answer to a simple question..

Has anybody tried swapping out the drive in a Roamio Plus for a larger one?
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
P42

Yes
And yes it works just fine

WTB: Sprint iPhone5s
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Can you share any details like did you need to format the drive or did you just buy a new drive and slap it in?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealone View Post
Can you share any details like did you need to format the drive or did you just buy a new drive and slap it in?
Just read the first few posts in the other thread, and you'll have you answers.

(But yes, just slap it in. There is no prevision to copy existing recordings though.)
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Thanks.
What size did you upgrade too?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Lots of people are doing this using the 2 or 3TB Wester Digital AV-GP drives.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Can I use a 4TB? I'm alos thinking the with the inproved I/O speeds and upgraded chips that a SSD might now take advantage of the faster speeds?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

No, 3TB seems to be the limit. A couple people have tried 4TB drives and they get some sort of error when the TiVo boots up.

A SSD is a horrible idea. SSDs have limits on the number of times they can be written to. A TiVo is constantly writing to the drive for the live buffer, now on 6 tuners. A SSD would have a very short lifespan inside a TiVo. Plus it's unnecessary. The Roamio is already really fast. I don't think you'd see much, if any, improvement from adding a SSD.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Humm well if it's that easy to swap drives in and out might be worth a try. But thanks for the advice.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
speedy2
TivoAddict

Quote:
Humm well if it's that easy to swap drives in and out might be worth a try. But thanks for the advice.
From first hand experience I can confirm that a 3TB drive works great. I used a WD AV-GP drive (the same that TiVo has used in the past) just to make sure I had no issues. It's been a week so far and it works just fine. Good Luck!
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Go for it! You could be the guinea pig pioneer that discovers there is no problem using an SSD in a Tivo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
NYHeel

Which size screws are used on the Plus/Pro model? I have Torx 10 and 15 bits but don't think I have a Torx 8 bit (or I have to look around a little more). Does the Plus/Pro use any Torx 8 size screws?
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
zundian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
Which size screws are used on the Plus/Pro model? I have Torx 10 and 15 bits but don't think I have a Torx 8 bit (or I have to look around a little more). Does the Plus/Pro use any Torx 8 size screws?
The Plus/Pro models have the same size screws as a Premiere and TiVoHD, no Torx 8 screws whatsoever.
zundian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
fungflex

Just FYI, i bought a plus and had a 3tb drive laying around. This drive was being used on a windows box so it was formatted NTFS but had a ton of files already on it.

I just opened the plus box, unwrapped it, unscrewed the box itself and swapped the 3tb drive in and 1tb drive out. After plugging everything back in I plugged in the power cord and started guided setup.

That is it, nothing else needed to happen, took no effort at all and my "plus" is now a "pro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
I was actually able to use a 10/15 torx bit to get the box open. It wasn't a perfect fit but it worked.

Quote:
Can I use a 4TB? I'm alos thinking the with the inproved I/O speeds and upgraded chips that a SSD might now take advantage of the faster speeds?
I would strongly advise against SSD usage on a tivo. Essentially the way the tivo fills and writes data could be a massive issue if there isn't TRIM support for SSDs on the operating system level.

I would guess that since Tivo has no SSD support that TRIM support isn't coded and so you will very quickly fill your hard drive and notice terrible degraded performance fairly quickly.

Also, with the current performance of your standard 3TB drives working great what benefit would a SSD have on a Tivo? Starting a video a fraction of a second faster? Seems there is more of a cost and technology burden then a possible improvement.
fungflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #15
Kolenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungflex View Post
I would strongly advise against SSD usage on a tivo. Essentially the way the tivo fills and writes data could be a massive issue if there isn't TRIM support for SSDs on the operating system level.

I would guess that since Tivo has no SSD support that TRIM support isn't coded and so you will very quickly fill your hard drive and notice terrible degraded performance fairly quickly.

Also, with the current performance of your standard 3TB drives working great what benefit would a SSD have on a Tivo? Starting a video a fraction of a second faster? Seems there is more of a cost and technology burden then a possible improvement.
I'll +1 this recommendation.

If we assume that a stream takes 20Mbps, then with 6 tuners, you are using 120Mbps buffering to the drive. However, that only translates to 15MB/s. That is still within the "Worst Case Scenario" for these drives (if barely). Since it is video, you won't be doing a lot of 4KB random writes, which means you are very much within the comfort zone of these drives.

The only benefit is shorter seeks as fungflex says, but I don't think it is worth the cost. It isn't like you are going to see the impact of many seeks over a short period of time. The software's buffer can easily mask the effects of a slow random seek, and already does. This is actually one of the places where HDDs still beat SSDs: low-level constant activity, where a lot of storage is desired.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #16
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

If I did try a SSD drive it would be just for testing. it's a size to $$$$$$ thing I have a Samsung 840 pro 512Gb not much space for long term use in a TiVo but for fun just to test. I also agree about the lack of trim support in the OS. Thanks for all the help and advice.