TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
jdaniels1982

Angry Roamio Pro Picture Quality / Sound Quality diminished?

Recently jumped from my old 2 Tuner Premier XL to the new Roameo Plus 6 tuner.... I cannot shake the feeling that the video and audio quality in general seems diminished on the new box compared to my old 2 tuner unit...Color doesn't seem to pop as nice...and the overall picture seems darker, particularly on the premium movie channels. The audio seems quieter with diminished base with the overall sound much "tinnier"...I have turned the TV volume up to compensate but it doesn't seem as good.

When I refer to picture quality I am NOT referring to the HD interface...I'm just talking watching TV or recordings.

Could the diminished quality overall be the result of the cable signal splitting 6 ways instead of 2?
Anyone else noticing?

Appreciate any help
Joe
jdaniels1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
jdaniels1982

Keep in mind also I am using the same cable card that worked great in the XL...so I can't blame the cable card.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Is the Roamio set for pcm or Dolby Digital output? IF set for PCm it will output in stereo and what you describe is what it sounds like. Any TiVo I have connected to a TV I keep it set on DD since the TVs can handle the 5.1 DD audio since that is what is sent from the broadcast channels as well.

Otherwise the audio from my Roamio Pro seems identical to my Premiere and Elites. I have not critically looked at the picture yet. It might be a little darker, but if it is, it is only slightly. I'll need to get some test patterns transferred to my Roamio PRo one day and see what things look like using Chromapure with my X-Rite Display 3 PRO Colorimeter. But I'm not really in any rush to do it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-02-2013 at 12:50 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

If the audio is set to DD output then the audio is passed through to your receiver or TV untouched, so it would be identical between the Roamio and Premiere. If it's set to PCM then it's being decoded and there could be a difference.

Are you using the same input on your TV? Most TVs have different calibration settings for every input. So if you switched to a different input then it could be that the settings are different and that could be why it looks/sounds different.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
jdaniels1982

I used the exact same hdmi cable and hooked up to the same hdmi input on my Samsung tv that I had been using on my old 2 tuner tivo premier xl, so it's definitely not the cable or the tv.

Also the picture is not just darker...I have noticed some of the channels appear slightly more pixelated thin the Roameo then on the old 2 tuner Premier. Definately a much more "digitized. Look".
For example Bravo channel on Cablevision has always looked somewhat compressed with minor pixelation, but now on the Roamio that same pixelation seems to be worse, almost like the signal splitting to 6 tunershas further reduced the quality...

What do u think? Am I totally off on the cause?
Old 09-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

OK so the audio should be identical. Unless you had that PCM setting set on your old Premiere. You may want to look at the old Premiere if you can, or just try the setting on your Roamio and see how it looks.

For the picture quality there could be a difference. The Roamio uses a different scaler. How did you have the video outputs set on your old Premiere? Did you have multiple resolutions checked? Or did you force everything to 1080i or 720p?

The pixelation could be a signal problem. You have to remember that you're going from 2 tuners to 6 tuners, so internally the signal is being split more. SO if your sign strength was right on the edge then it could be worse in the new box. You should check the signal strength meter and see how it looks. If you regularly see channels with a strength below 70 then you might want to consider getting a cable amplifier.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
jdaniels1982

Signal strength meter on the old primer was always between 85-91
For some reason all six tuners on the Roamio always show 100 percent across the board.
I have a cable Motorola cable amp I bought last year which I'm not using since I moved but I will try it. Still doesn't explain why everything is darker....
Should I exchange the box?

Thanks btw
Old 09-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

If the signal strength is 100 then it might be too strong. Try throwing a splitter into the mix just to see if you can get them to drop below 100.

The darkness could be from the scaler. Which resolutions do you have checked on the Roamio, which did you have checked on the Premiere?
Old 09-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
jdaniels1982

Well I just exchanged the box for another Roamio plus...gonna start fresh. I'll keep u posted how it turns out
Old 09-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
dnadrifter

I too am noticing what I believe to picture quality issues. I am replacing a comcast motorola box as this my first Tivo. Going through the exact same hdmi cable. Just got it set up, paired the cable card.

The picture quality though just doesn't look as crisp. It looks flat and just not crisp. I am going to go back to the comcast box to make sure I am not imagining it, but so far I am surprised as I didn't think quality would be impacted. The TV shows 1080i coming in from the receiver. I should probably check to make sure my receiver isn't doing something to the signal from the tivo (although it was fine with the comcast box).
dnadrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaniels1982 View Post
What do u think? Am I totally off on the cause?
Yep.

If the settings are the same, then there is zero difference (and the whole nature/point of "digital").
Old 09-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #12
dnadrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnadrifter View Post
I too am noticing what I believe to picture quality issues. I am replacing a comcast motorola box as this my first Tivo. Going through the exact same hdmi cable. Just got it set up, paired the cable card.

The picture quality though just doesn't look as crisp. It looks flat and just not crisp. I am going to go back to the comcast box to make sure I am not imagining it, but so far I am surprised as I didn't think quality would be impacted. The TV shows 1080i coming in from the receiver. I should probably check to make sure my receiver isn't doing something to the signal from the tivo (although it was fine with the comcast box).
I think I was imagining it. I bypassed the receiver and had the same picture. I put the comcast box back on and I think I had the same picture the tivo box had. It may have just been some of the channels I was watching as some looked better than others.
dnadrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
Rkkeller

Did you check the output settings under video?

I thought mine was a little worse then when I went into the menus, it was set at 720p, not 1080p.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

To compare apples to apples you would need to have the same output set as previously. The TV or scaler could have different settings for each resolution sent. I know this is how my scaler is. I had never input 1080P60 in the input my TiVo was on before. So my scaler came up with the default settings. With my previous TiVos I needed to increase brightness a little to get the proper level.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #15
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Yep.

If the settings are the same, then there is zero difference (and the whole nature/point of "digital").
If you're using fixed output res that totally depends on how well the new Tivos are scaling the output. Agree that with native res on both it should be the same, but even that depends on brightness levels for output etc.

For example, my Elite and my Xboxes are all set to 1080i fixed, but when using the Xbox as a WMC extender the output looks washed out compared to the Tivo so I have to have different input settings on the TV for both. Same TV, same source material.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
celtic pride

was your tivo premiere xl 2 tuner the THX model? maybe your an audio/videophile and can really tell the difference in quality
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote