TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
crxrocks

Comcast and Roamio

Currently have DTV and am under contract for a little while yet, but starting to look at the Roamio. I have 3 HD-DVR receivers and are configured with Whole Home DVR.

With DTV I am currently paying $6 per extra receiver ($12), a HDTV fee ($10) a DVR fee ($10) and a Whole Home fee ($3).

If I were to purchase a Roamio Plus and 2 mini's - and pay lifetime service for all three devices - what other monthly expenses will Comcast charge (outside of the content package itself and taxes/regulatory fees)? Cable card fees? Any other DVR or HD fees?

Kind of irritated by the extra fees from DTV and would love the TiVo again.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by crxrocks : 09-04-2013 at 09:43 PM.
crxrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
HarperVision

That is EXACTLY what I am doing as we speak, except going to Oceanic Time Warner. I was fed up with all the extraneous fees too.

I believe your first Cablecard is free with comcast. I wouldn't tell at all that you want their HD service or they'll probably charge you for that. When I had comcast in PA all I ever told them was I wanted whatever digital package I chose, then needed the Cablecard for my TiVo to map the channels. I ended up getting all the HD versions of the channels anyway, just by them pairing the card, even some that weren't even in my package tier actually.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
crxrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
That is EXACTLY what I am doing as we speak, except going to Oceanic Time Warner. I was fed up with all the extraneous fees too.

I believe your first Cablecard is free with comcast. I wouldn't tell at all that you want their HD service or they'll probably charge you for that. When I had comcast in PA all I ever told them was I wanted whatever digital package I chose, then needed the Cablecard for my TiVo to map the channels. I ended up getting all the HD versions of the channels anyway, just by them pairing the card, even some that weren't even in my package tier actually.
Thx. I'll have to do some additional homework I guess. Looks like on Comcast website they don't have a HD fee, but figure they'll get it somewhere. My commitment with DTV isn't up until April 2014 but might be worth paying the out of pocket termination fee after the first of the year if the comcast deal is good enough.
crxrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
mattack

Your first cable card should be *included* in your digital cable subscription.. and you will likely get a minor "deduction" for providing your own equipment.

So basically, you won't be paying anything for hardware, and will likely be paying a little bit less (because of the small deduction) than the base subscription price.. (not including taxes and all of the other things they tack on)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
mntvjunkie

I have Comcast in MN, and this is how it works for me. It only sees one outlet, so you will only pay for the first cable card. Since Comcast doesn't currently charge for the first cable card, I don't get any extra charges for equipment, and actually get a few bucks off my bill for bringing my own equipment.

There is, in most packages, a $10 HD Fee, which I pay to get the HD versions of channels. This fee is NOT present in HD Triple Play packages, but I have no use for a phone, so it is actually cheaper for me to pay the $10 fee.
mntvjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote