TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
dfuerpo

Is Tivo Always Recording?

I am new to the Tivo world having just purchased a Roamio Plus and two Minis. Tonight I had just tuned to the evening news when I got a call to...er...attend to a bodily function. I grabbed my ipad on the way to the bathroom, which is now my habit. I thought I would try the ipad Tivo app which I installed a couple days ago. I found the evening news show in the app and was given to option to "record and watch" (no option to just watch). I chose that and was surprised to find the show started to play from the beginning, which was at that point about seven minutes in the past! So my question is: is the Tivo always recording when tuned to a station? If not, how did it do this?
dfuerpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
ltxi

yes...and maintains a half hour buffer
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
MScottC

TiVo is always recording. If not doing a formal record, it buffers the last 30 minutes for each tunner. In other words, at any point of the day, if the channel was not changed on that tuner, you can rewind 30 minutes. A channel change, however, clears out that buffer. In the Roamio you are actually getting 4 buffers at the same time, and with the Roamio Plus and Roamio Pro, you get 6 30 minute buffers that you can bounce between as long as you don't change channels on a particular tuner. When you hit "Record", the TiVo will go back to the beginning of the show plus some, or as close to the beginning of the show as it can, based on how much is in that buffer, obviously no more than 30 minutes, or to when the channel was changed to what you are trying to record.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
ltxi

didn't i just say that?
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #5
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
yes...and maintains a half hour buffer
and to get way more geeky, apparently the buffer is *really* some specific disk size amount, and the UI shows it to you as a rolling 30 minute buffer in live TV mode.

That's why sometimes when you record (on at least some Tivos), you can get way more than 30 minutes previously put into the buffer.. I forget if this was fixed on the Premiere & Roamio or not.. IIRC, it still happens on Tivo HD.. (E.g. lets say it's 6:35 and the buffer was already on a channel with a show that started at 6.. SOMETIMES hitting record will actually start the recording at 5:45 or something, WAY longer ago than 30 minutes previously, AND even before the current show even started.. It will put 'start' time at the correct location in the show though.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:19 AM   #6
dfuerpo

I think I'm in love....

Thanks for clarifying that for me!
dfuerpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:39 AM   #7
MScottC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
didn't i just say that?
Not really, you only said a very small part of it.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
and to get way more geeky, apparently the buffer is *really* some specific disk size amount, and the UI shows it to you as a rolling 30 minute buffer in live TV mode.

That's why sometimes when you record (on at least some Tivos), you can get way more than 30 minutes previously put into the buffer.. I forget if this was fixed on the Premiere & Roamio or not.. IIRC, it still happens on Tivo HD.. (E.g. lets say it's 6:35 and the buffer was already on a channel with a show that started at 6.. SOMETIMES hitting record will actually start the recording at 5:45 or something, WAY longer ago than 30 minutes previously, AND even before the current show even started.. It will put 'start' time at the correct location in the show though.)
I recently got 51 minutes of an hour-long show out of the "30 minute" buffer on my Roamio Plus. So, even with 20.3.8 software, you can still get more than the buffer.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote