TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
nickb6

Tivo wireless networking

I'm hoping what I'm trying to accomplish is possible. Current I have a 5ghz wireless router hardwired to our master bedroom Tivo Premiere. In the next bedroom we have our 2nd Premiere connected via the tivo wireless-n adapter. Multi room viewing and streaming is flawless between these two tivos.

Our third tivo is the roamio, which is downstairs and connected to a 5ghz wireless bridge. Multi room viewing and streaming between the master bedroom Premiere and the Roamio is flawless.

I realize that MRV is not designed for wireless, so what I'm about to ask might not be possible: is there any way to use MRV from the wireless Premiere to the Roamio? Whenever I attempt this, it crashes immediately and says that my network is too slow.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by nickb6 : 08-29-2013 at 11:55 AM.
nickb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb6 View Post
Current I have a 5ghz wireless router hardwired to our master bedroom Tivo Premiere.
Our third tivo is the roamio, which is downstairs and connected to a 5ghz wireless bridge. .
Why is the roamio connected to a wireless bridge? Doesn't the roamio have the dual band wireless n built in?
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

I assume he's using a bridge because he has multiple devices down stairs all sharing a single bridge?

When you're streaming from the master to either of the other TiVos you're only using one leg of the wifi connection, so 100% of the wifi bandwidth is dedicated to the receiving TiVo. When you stream from the other bedroom to downstairs both legs are using wifi so each is only getting 1/2 the bandwidth. Apparently that's not enough.

Have you consider switching to MoCa instead? MoCa has more bandwidth then wifi and can better support traffic from multiple devices like this. Depending on which models you have some/all may even have MoCa built in.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
nickb6

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I assume he's using a bridge because he has multiple devices down stairs all sharing a single bridge?

When you're streaming from the master to either of the other TiVos you're only using one leg of the wifi connection, so 100% of the wifi bandwidth is dedicated to the receiving TiVo. When you stream from the other bedroom to downstairs both legs are using wifi so each is only getting 1/2 the bandwidth. Apparently that's not enough.

Have you consider switching to MoCa instead? MoCa has more bandwidth then wifi and can better support traffic from multiple devices like this. Depending on which models you have some/all may even have MoCa built in.
I don't feel like I know enough about setting up MoCa. I live in a townhome, so our coax is shared with other units. Will that affect my ability to have a self contained moca network? My two premieres do not have it built in as they aew the 2 tuner models.

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

MoCa can be setup as encrypted to prevent your neighbors from being able to see your network. Or if you have access to the point where the cable is split from your side to theirs you could install a POE filter (~$4) and that will block the MoCa signal from ever even reaching their side.

Another option is HomePlug. It's not as good as MoCa but a set of AV500 adapters would still be better then your wifi network. You might even be able to just use it for one leg (i.e. bedroom to master) and continue using the wifi for the other leg.

Although personally I'd recommend MoCa if you think you can set it up. If you can install the POE filter then it'll basically be plug and play. If not then the encryption part works similar to a wifi bridge. You flip a special switch on the MoCa adapter and connect it directly to a PC. You then log into a special UI and setup the key. It's really not that difficult if you're remotely tech savvy.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
nickb6

I didn't think about it until now, but we don't have a coax outlet in the second bedroom. Would you suggest doing the av500 with the wireless bedroom Premiere and the Roamio?
Old 08-30-2013, 01:53 AM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

It doesn't really matter. If you could make it so only one of the legs uses wifi then it should work. If you have coax down stairs then you could do MoCa down there to the Roamio and leave the bedroom Premiere as wifi.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
nickb6

So far so good. Bought a pair of actiontec 500mbps adapters and was up in running in literally a minute. Thanks for all the help!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Glad to hear it.