TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
jrmstr33

Series 3 HDD --> Roamio Basic?

Hi All! I'm patiently awaiting delivery of my Roamio Basic (with lifetime subscription of course). Long time Tivo user and still have an OLED Series 3 and Premiere in the household. I plan on decommissioning the Series 3, which I had upgraded the HDD to 2TB last year. Question is: can I simply take the 2TB drive from my S3 and drop it into my new Roamio? (Or do I have to somehow format that drive first so it's blank?) I know the Roamio upgrade process is supposed to be a lot easier now than it was with all previous models.

Thanks in advance!

jrmstr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

You should be able to just drop it in and the Roamio should format the drive automatically for you. However, you will lose all recordings currently on the drive.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:48 AM   #3
jrmstr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
You should be able to just drop it in and the Roamio should format the drive automatically for you. However, you will lose all recordings currently on the drive.
Thanks TarheelBlue! Just what I was looking to hear.. Will report back either way once my unit is delivered.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:56 PM   #4
jrmstr33

Just wanted to confirm for anyone wondering.. It works just fine! And the formatting of the drive was quick! 314 HD hrs!