TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Spring Update

Anyone know when usually TiVo releases spring updates?

Eager to get the Roamio UI on all the Minis in my home so everything looks consistent. Also hoping they update the Stream so the audio quality is a little better with OOH (it sounds tinny despite a great connection; video is always great).
Old 03-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
tatergator1

I think the 2013 "Spring Update" came out in May last year. The last I read regarding the next update from TivoMargret was that an update, at least for the Roamios, was coming out in mid to late March. This may or may not be the "Spring Update."
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
skid71

Also looking forward to the Mini's getting their UI consistent with the Roamio. I sure wouldn't mind Android support, but I'm probably the only person who would be interested in that. har!
skid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid71 View Post
Also looking forward to the Mini's getting their UI consistent with the Roamio. I sure wouldn't mind Android support, but I'm probably the only person who would be interested in that. har!
I know u aren't the first person to relate android to the next tivo update....but i don't see why the tivo software would need to be modified to allow for android streaming. I would expect that the way they do the streaming uses the same standards, apis...etc no matter which viewing client. Of course they need to finish the damn android app for it first, then pc viewer/web browser viewing would be nice.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
I think the 2013 "Spring Update" came out in May last year. The last I read regarding the next update from TivoMargret was that an update, at least for the Roamios, was coming out in mid to late March. This may or may not be the "Spring Update."
Last I heard(in late January) it was a "March/April" timeframe:
https://twitter.com/tivodesign/statu...34628630323200
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
mrizzo80

I wonder what new features will be in the official Spring Update.

The 3 column "My Shows" concept that official "reviewers" were told about way back in August 2013? An Amazon Prime client?

Hopefully dynamic tuner allocation for streaming to devices is in the works. The current process flow (tapping to start the recording and then having to manually delete the recording after finishing streaming) could be improved.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
The only thing I REALLY care about at this point is Android streaming. And I am REALLY tired of waiting. Anything else is just gravy (and I have a lot of things on my "wanted" list still... especially custom folders).
Old 03-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #8
mattack

Quote:
I consider it a *feature* that the scheduling bugs (overlapping recordings glitch + 'extending a to do list item makes an unnamed recording') are supposed to be fixed, according to someone quoting Margret from another thread.

Yeah, I'm mostly joking, since those are bug fixes, but personally, if those are fixed, that's good enough for me. I honestly have no idea how anyone EVER tried these features and let it get out the door that way. Since a Tivo is a TV recording device first, those would be P1 fixes IMHO.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #9
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Yeah, I'm mostly joking, since those are bug fixes, but personally, if those are fixed, that's good enough for me. I honestly have no idea how anyone EVER tried these features and let it get out the door that way.
That's what happens when you have several critical updates that are rushed out the door too fast. TiVo had more updates last fall to quickly fix major problems with Roamio than I have ever seen in TiVo's history. My guess is that half-implemented, not really tested minor fixes got carried along for the ride and released. Not ideal, but getting Roamio working before the holiday season was important for TiVo's future.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #10
mattack

But *especially* for the overlapping recordings one, it's almost as if it had never been used AT ALL, not just "not really tested". That is, it's such a blatantly obvious glitch, the very first time you use it!
Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #11
moyekj

Quote:
But *especially* for the overlapping recordings one, it's almost as if it had never been used AT ALL, not just "not really tested". That is, it's such a blatantly obvious glitch, the very first time you use it!
I've seen a lot of talk about it but I never experienced the problem, and since I haven't had the problem I really haven't taken the time to really understand what the issue is and how to reproduce it. I know I've had cases of overlapping recordings on same channel (by 30 minutes or more), which worked fine for me, but I think causes problems for others. So I don't think it's something that obviously affects everyone and hence why it may have escaped detection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #12
chiguy50

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I've seen a lot of talk about it but I never experienced the problem, and since I haven't had the problem I really haven't taken the time to really understand what the issue is and how to reproduce it. I know I've had cases of overlapping recordings on same channel (by 30 minutes or more), which worked fine for me, but I think causes problems for others. So I don't think it's something that obviously affects everyone and hence why it may have escaped detection.
I don't know why you haven't seen this glitch. I get it consistently on both my Premiere and Premiere Elite. Any back-to-back recordings on the same channel that overlap have about a 3- to 5-second A/V garble at the point where the first recording stops.

To make matters worse, on my 2-tuner Premiere if I try to schedule another recording on a different channel in the same time slot where I already have back-to-back overlapping recordings scheduled on one channel, I get the message that existing scheduled recordings will be clipped. If I elect to proceed with the new recording, I then have to reconfigure or reschedule the back-to-back recordings so that they overlap as originally intended. Since the only conceivable rationale for this feature is to free up other tuners, it's nonsensical and self-defeating for the user to encounter this scheduling barrier.

This is just a badly thought out and incompetently implemented feature. It is a shame and reflects poorly on TiVo's design team.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #13
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
I don't know why you haven't seen this glitch. I get it consistently on both my Premiere and Premiere Elite. Any back-to-back recordings on the same channel that overlap have about a 3- to 5-second A/V garble at the point where the first recording stops.
From the symptom description it almost sounds like a GOP length issue. That could also explain why some see it and other don't. I bet if you send a messed up show to your PC and look at its internal structure, something interesting could be learned.

Paging Dan201

Dan201 to the white paging phone.

oops, thank you tatergator1 for correcting me. It is Dan203.

Last edited by CuriousMark : 03-06-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Lazy and old
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #14
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
Paging Dan201

Dan201 to the white paging phone.
You mean Dan203.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #15
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
You mean Dan203.
Yes, failing aged memory. Sorry Dan.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:35 AM   #16
Rose4uKY

All I want is Android streaming also!

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #17
mrsean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose4uKY View Post
All I want is Android streaming also!
Me too. I'm sick of dealing with the non-intuitive "Crapad" for streaming.

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #18
anthonymoody

Amazon Prime streaming please.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #19
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

I'm greedy, I want Amazon Prime AND Android streaming, all this kissing Apples apple crap is starting to piss me off, F-Apple!!!

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #20
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
all this kissing Apples apple crap is starting to piss me off, F-Apple!!!
+1
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #21
danjw1

While I agree that they should have better Android support, it is pretty clear that Tivo prioritizes the iOS environment over all others. So, if you want the latest features it will pretty much always going to have an iOS device.

This assumes that Tivo sticks to this policy, despite the fact that there are more Android phones/tablets out there then iOS phones/tablets.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #22
brianric

Fix the glitch when recording back to back shows on the same channel with overlap.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #23
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

I'm just eager to get the UI's matching up across all devices.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #24
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
OK, maybe for you it is that bad.. I am not defending it, remember, I said I can't believe they ever even tried out the feature..

BUT.. for me, it's MUCH MUCH less than 3 to 5 seconds. FOR ME, it's maybe a second at most, and *usually* the audio and/or closed captioning help me cover the gap (basically, my own human error correction, heh). Though since it was the simpsons, I did make one 'backup' recording on another Tivo last night for the overlap glitch issue.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:50 PM   #25
CloudAtlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
Me too. I'm sick of dealing with the non-intuitive "Crapad" for streaming.
Oh, I see what you did there you replaced iPad with "Crapad". Now that is funny stuff.
CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:15 AM   #26
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjw1 View Post
While I agree that they should have better Android support, .
Better Android support? As for streaming from a Roamio Pro there is ZERO support, as of this writing, AFAIK, it cant be done. So instead of better, how about ANY??

It seems as if even TiVo is trying to force us to drink the apple cool aid, I don't like the taste!!

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:37 AM   #27
danjw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
Better Android support? As for streaming from a Roamio Pro there is ZERO support, as of this writing, AFAIK, it cant be done. So instead of better, how about ANY??

It seems as if even TiVo is trying to force us to drink the apple cool aid, I don't like the taste!!
They do have an Android App, it just have much more limited functionality. And to the best of my knowledge, you are correct there is no streaming it in.

My point was, if you want to be on the cutting edge of features for your phone/tablet, get an iDevice. This is just what Tivo is doing right now. Tivo's actions have so far shown that Android will be treated as a second class platform. Like you, I don't like it, but it is the way it is currently.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #28
steve614
what ru lookin at?

At this point, I'm beginning to think that Apple must be feeding TiVo money under the table to keep Android streaming on the "low priority" list.

What has it been, over 2 years now? Programming Android isn't that difficult, is it?

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #29
bicker
Gruff

Programming software is only a small portion of the cost of offering software.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #30
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Quote:

The 3 column "My Shows" concept that official "reviewers" were told about way back in August 2013? An Amazon Prime client?

Hopefully dynamic tuner allocation for streaming to devices is in the works. The current process flow (tapping to start the recording and then having to manually delete the recording after finishing streaming) could be improved.
Anyone have a pic of what the 3 column my shows list would look like?
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote