TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
hfcsyrup

Mini experience on P4 vs. Roamio

I have a new P4 that I had planned on selling but never got around to. Now they are going for 475 or so. So to upgrade to a Roamio is about a $100 difference so I am debating sticking with my P4.
I understand the differences as per
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423377,00.asp

However, I am wondering if the Mini experience is that much different as of now. Is the speed pretty much the same? Other than DTA, is there any real difference of a Mini being used with a P4 than with a 4 tuner Roamio?

Oh yea, I wasn't sure. Mini has DIAL now w/roamio, is this with a Mini w/ P4 as well?

Last edited by hfcsyrup : 08-29-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: dial
hfcsyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

As far as the Mini's interaction with the host the only difference between the P4 and the Roamio is DTA. All the other features of the Mini, like DIAL, Netflix, etc... you'll get regardless of the host it's connected to.

Edit: One thing I forgot... The Basic Roamio does not have built in MoCa, so if you use that to connect to your Mini you'll either need to buy a MoCa adapter or step up to the 6 tuner Plus or Pro.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfcsyrup View Post
I have a new P4 that I had planned on selling but never got around to. Now they are going for 475 or so. So to upgrade to a Roamio is about a $100 difference so I am debating sticking with my P4.
I understand the differences as per
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423377,00.asp

However, I am wondering if the Mini experience is that much different as of now. Is the speed pretty much the same? Other than DTA, is there any real difference of a Mini being used with a P4 than with a 4 tuner Roamio?

Oh yea, I wasn't sure. Mini has DIAL now w/roamio, is this with a Mini w/ P4 as well?
I just swapped my Living Room TiVo from a P4 XL to a Roamio Pro.

I didn't notice any performance changes on the minis. DTA is great. I did not have a tuner on the P4 XL dedicated to the minis, so it's cool they can get Live TV now. Rarely used feature in my house, but cool none the less.

To me, the big performance difference was on the other end. I now have a TiVo in the Living Room that has a user interface that's as fast as the minis. I love it. Can't believe I tolerated how slow the Premieres were for so long.

Last edited by aristoBrat : 08-30-2013 at 10:37 AM.
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
AdamNJ

Anyone know how the speed of mini connected to premiere vs mini connected to roamio is? I remember some people saying channel changes were a bit slow from a mini w/ premiere. I am wondering if there is a speed increase / time decrease?

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:36 AM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't think there is any change there. The Mini is as fast as it's going to get. The lag in changing channels is because the channel has to change on the TiVo, it has to buffer for a second, then it has to start streaming across your network, be decoded by the Mini and then displayed on your TV. The fact that that whole process only takes a couple seconds is pretty amazing in and of itself.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote