Parvati (Survivor) 6 6.90%
Evil Dick (BB) 1 1.15%
Other 4 4.60%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Poll:Best Big Brother or Survivor (or other Reality Show) player ever!

I only really watch those two (and TAR, but I'm not sure there were ever GREAT players there), so I'm basing my choices on those two shows.

Qualifiactions:
1) Player should have made it to the finals of their season(s)
2) Bonus points for winning

Other than that, whatever you think?
Old 08-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
VegasVic
Craps Player

I don't watch BB so this one was easy. Boston Rob played a perfect game of Survivor. He and Ambuh were playing a very good TAR game too until they were eliminated in a needle/haystack challenge.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Crow159
Winter is Coming...

Boston Rob, hands down.

He's the best Survivor player in my opinion. Played a strong physical game and had a great social game, enough to get to the finals of the All Star edition and winning the Redemption edition against people that knew what he was capable of.

Big Brother, which I watch and enjoy, is more a social game. The toughest physical thing they have to do is some endurance comps. Survivor has to do the same thing with very limited food. Add in that on Survivor they can't just lounge around in the hot tub or the hammock when they get tired, I just think Survivor is the more challenging game. So again, Boston Rob is the best.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I've never watched BB, but in the Survivor universe, Sandra Diaz-Twine is the clear winner. She's played twice and won twice. Hard to argue with that.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
VegasVic
Craps Player

I give Hatch some props for winning the original game before alliances from day 1 became the norm.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I've never watched BB, but in the Survivor universe, Sandra Diaz-Twine is the clear winner. She's played twice and won twice. Hard to argue with that.
Wow... I've watched every Survivor season starting with 2, and I didn't even remember her. I had to google her to remind me and I STILL don't remember much about her. I'm not saying that doesn't make her the best, but a pretty forgettable contestant.

I don't watch BB, so I can't pick from that pool.

I'd throw Ethan Zohn into the mix. He had both a great physical and social game in Survivor: Africa, a particularly harsh Survivor season as I remember.

I also have a lot of respect for John Cochran, who despite his lack of physical prowess STILL won Survivor: Caramoan through pretty much pure strategy, and winning the non-physical challenges when he had to.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

I watch both.

Dan. No discussion.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
laria
Librocubicularist

I haven't watched much Big Brother (part of season 1, all of season 2, all of season 5), but I have seen enough that I did see Dr. Tattoff (I mean, Dr. Will) and Mike Boogie play.

My vote goes for Boston Rob. I think he has the social chops to have done very well in BB of the seasons I saw. I am not sure about now... it seems like all reality shows, the casts are skewing younger and younger. Although he did manage to assemble quite the crew of young ladies in his last Survivor season, so maybe he'd do ok.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

My only issue with Boston Rob is that it took him FOUR tries to win the game. I know a lot of people say he "won" All-Stars because his sweety won the game and he was #2, but, I don't think he wins regardless. He played a nasty, Russell like game and pissed off too many people. Was he doing Amber's heavy lifting? Perhaps. But that's part of the game. Get someone to do your dirty work while you win.

In RI, when he finally won, he was smart enough to align with those people who were goo goo ga ga over him, and were just too scared to make a move. Had that been an All-Star season, it never would have worked. Of course he might have played a different game.

I voted Dan. I think he just made so many smart moves the first time around and was so creative in his game BOTH times around that he gets my nod. Dr. Will might be the best social player in either game. Boogie winning the second time around with Dr. Will basically knowing he had no chance, so he played for his friend Boogie to win.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

People who don't watch both shows are compromising the poll.

If it's just "Who is the best player from your favorite Reality Show", it should be multiple choice.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
People who don't watch both shows are compromising the poll.

If it's just "Who is the best player from your favorite Reality Show", it should be multiple choice.
Well I opened it up really to any reailty show in the vein of those two (i.e. competition where someone is voted off each week). If you want to include a TAR team or heck, even Summer Camp if you watch that on USA this summer.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

I'm just teasing because Dan is the man.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Ment

I vote Dan only because with feeds you can see the machinations develop and can only wonder at awesomeness of his strategy.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
I vote Dan only because with feeds you can see the machinations develop and can only wonder at awesomeness of his strategy.
Even without the feeds, you can see what he's trying to do.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Even without the feeds, you can see what he's trying to do.
Its the difference between viewing snapshots of an artist painting and watching the whole process.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #16
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Season 10 was a good season.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
stellie93

It seems like there are more people that just watch Survivor than those who just watch BB, so that's why Dan--the best ever--isn't winning.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #18
hummingbird_206

He's not my favorite player, but Richard Hatch gets my vote. He wrote the book on alliances.
hummingbird_206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #19
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
I don't watch BB so this one was easy. Boston Rob played a perfect game of Survivor. He and Ambuh were playing a very good TAR game too until they were eliminated by the airline opening their doors after it started to depart from the gate.
FYP

I've even felt the producers had a hand in that one.
gossamer88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #20
Dnamertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
It seems like there are more people that just watch Survivor than those who just watch BB, so that's why Dan--the best ever--isn't winning.
Exactly. BR played 4 times, while Dan only played 2. In both his seasons Dan made it to final two, and won one of those time. But aside from that, he made moves that were a million times more impressive, and manipulative than BR ever made.

I also have to give a nod to Russell. Even though he didn't win, he did make it to finals twice and he actually got someone from the other tribe to give him an immunity idol. Not someone from his own tribe, but someone from the OTHER tribe...that was unheard of. Plus in his 1st season his tribe was outnumbered 8 to 4 going into the merge and his tribe made it to final four. Not to mention when he handed out two idols to Parvarti and someone else in the same tribal council...that was classic. He also was the first (and the master) at finding hidden immunity idols without even waiting for the clues.

Last edited by Dnamertz : 08-26-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Dnamertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #21
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
He's not my favorite player, but Richard Hatch gets my vote. He wrote the book on alliances.
I think Richard Hatch is kind of like whoever came out with the first digital MP3 player...he "invented" the way the game is generally played, but he wasn't the absolute best at it. Guys like Rob or Dr. Will or Dan are more like Apple's invention of the iPod. They took the foundation that Hatch created and perfected it. Hatch was the inventor, but others implemented and tweaked it so that it was even better.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #22
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnamertz View Post
Exactly. BR played 4 times, while Dan only played 2. In both his seasons Dan made it to final two, and won one of those time. But aside from that, he made moves that were a million times more impressive, and manipulative than BR ever made.

I also have to give a nod to Russell. Even though he didn't win, he did make it to finals twice and he actually got someone from the other tribe to give him an immunity idol. Not someone from his own tribe, but someone from the OTHER tribe...that was unheard of. Plus in his 1st season his tribe was outnumbered 8 to 4 going into the merge and his tribe made it to final four. Not to mention when he handed out two idols to Parvarti and someone else in the same tribal council...that was classic. He also was the first (and the master) at finding hidden immunity idols without even waiting for the clues.
The problem with Russell, is his game was fairly one-dimensional (ok, maybe 2 dimensional). He really had a great strategy game, but a HORRIBLE social game. That's what BR learned by his fourth try. You can't win just on doing one thing well (but you can get far). Dan won the first time because he had BOTH a great social and amazing strategy skills. His second game, I just think he was too driven to get to the end and he lost sight of the social part. But you know, with another jury, he might have won.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #23
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Boston Rob.

No question. Sexy, smart, thinking ahead, playing the ends against the middle and funny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #24
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Boston Rob.

No question. Sexy, smart, thinking ahead, playing the ends against the middle and funny.
Sexy makes you a great player?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #25
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Sexy makes you a great player?
Yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #26
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I don't get all the votes for Boston Rob. Yeah, he's fun to watch, but he's not that good at the game.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #27
sburnside1

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
This. Sandra has won Survivor twice, and most people would still not recognize her or would marginalize her wins.

If she were to go on a third time, no one would even consider her a threat. Try saying that about anyone on the list. She could play middle ground all the way to a third victory.
sburnside1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #28
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburnside1 View Post
This. Sandra has won Survivor twice, and most people would still not recognize her or would marginalize her wins.

If she were to go on a third time, no one would even consider her a threat. Try saying that about anyone on the list. She could play middle ground all the way to a third victory.
I have no argument with this. But the fact I've completely forgotten about her, despite her winning twice means that perhaps she won more because of circumstance than game play.

On the other hand, I've also felt that if you've never won either of these games, then you really can't be considered one of it's greatest players. People like Rupert or Russell on Survivor or Janelle and Kayser on BB to me aren't great players. Great personalities sure, but their game play never got them to victory.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #29
Hcour

Not sure about the "best" but I thought winner Yul Kwon played a fantastic game of Survivor in S13 and he did so with a minimum of backstabbing and deceit.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #30
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Not a fan of the Sandra Diaz type of Survivor winners. They ride the coattails of stronger players and win by default. I think Danni Boatright is an underrated winner. She was down to a tribe of one, and she had to win every challenge - and she did.

I stopped watching BB several seasons ago. The best I saw was Dr Will, who I don't think would have had a chance on Survivor.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote