TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
headless chicken

Blocking IR signal to 1 device when 2 Tivos side by side

I have my S3 and Roamio side by side so that I can have them both connected to my router in order to enable the quickest transfer of recordings. The problem is using the Tivo remote on the Roamio also controls the S3, and I unwittingly deleted entire groups of shows on the S3 (luckily I was able to recover).

Is there anyway of blocking the remote control signal to the Series3 yet still allow it to register on the network for the transfers to continue?

I'm considering either wrapping it in foil or taking it off my shelving unit and placing it at a 45 degree angle, if the cord length allows.
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
Tanquen

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/285
Tanquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
pwlcheng

Use 2 remotes with different addresses (e.g. address 1 and 2) besides the default address 0 to control 2 TiVo DVRs unless you have those old remote that has 1-2 switch. Here is the instruction how to do it. http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...lkL29wT2U1Y0hs
pwlcheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post
Thanks! The information here never fails to astound me. Honestly, you folks are more knowledgable than Tivo support staff.

Just looked down on my S3 remote and noticed the DVR 1-2 toggle switch I never used. I should pull out the handbook and read it again.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
MikePA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
Thanks! The information here never fails to astound me. Honestly, you folks are more knowledgable than Tivo support staff.

Just looked down on my S3 remote and noticed the DVR 1-2 toggle switch I never used. I should pull out the handbook and read it again.
It could be the TiVo support staff assumes callers/emailers have read either the manual, the support site or both.
MikePA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

You can use remote codes from 1 to 9 to control individual TiVos. At one time, when I was getting ready to sell my Premieres, I had eight TiVos in one room juggling eight remotes. But with each having their own remote code there were no issues.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePA1 View Post
It could be the TiVo support staff assumes callers/emailers have read either the manual, the support site or both.
No, not the case. Two queries of mine which I asked different Tivo reps (including how to get the Roamio activation expedited) were completely solved by the knowledgable users here. These are the real Tivo experts.

I'm flattered that you seek me out time and time again in various threads to post your digs, but take note and see how courteous and helpful the vast majority of users are here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
At one time, when I was getting ready to sell my Premieres, I had eight TiVos in one room juggling eight remotes.
Wow, that sounds like controlled chaos. Did your remotes have the little DVR toggle switch or did you just have label/keep track of each remote?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
pwlcheng

Quote:
Here is the instruction to program the remote with 1-2 switch.
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/284
Old 12-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
pwlcheng

Quote:
Wow, that sounds like controlled chaos. Did your remotes have the little DVR toggle switch or did you just have label/keep track of each remote?
I have only 5 TiVo DVRs in the same room, not so many like aaronwt has, and I use just 1 remote (Harmony 880) to control all 5 Tivo with addresses 1 to 5.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
No, not the case. Two queries of mine which I asked different Tivo reps (including how to get the Roamio activation expedited) were completely solved by the knowledgable users here. These are the real Tivo experts.

I'm flattered that you seek me out time and time again in various threads to post your digs, but take note and see how courteous and helpful the vast majority of users are here.

I just placed the remotes in order from left to right. And the TiVos were also in the same order, only stacked and then left to right. It was only for a short time to get everything ready to sell. Any longer and I would have gone crazy messing around with that many remotes.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote