TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Naked and Afraid XL Season Thread

Anyone watching this? They go from 21 days to 40 days now, plus it's multiple groups of previous contestants at scattered locations rather than two contestants in one location.

I bet they end up consolidating the groups a la Survivor as more and more tap out.

Lots of drama. On last night's episode Honora went bonkers.

Discuss.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked-and-afraid-xl/

TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I really like it so far. I can't believe those guys let Honora not once but twice throw something in the river. She has some problems.

JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
getreal
postcrastinator

This XL show reminded me that the first season of N&A featured two sets of people discovering each other within a few days of arriving in the jungle and then it was about four people surviving. This just steps it up threefold from that original concept.
I was sorry to see the ninja MacGyver having to tap out due to health issues. He was fully capable skillwise to survive with the others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Never watched it, but they must spend a small fortune on blurring for this show.

Is there a rule against them fashioning clothing from things they find or kill? I mean even our ancient ancestors didn't actually walk around naked all the time. They fashioned clothing as both a means to keep warm and a way to protect their sensitive bits.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Is there a rule against them fashioning clothing from things they find or kill? I mean even our ancient ancestors didn't actually walk around naked all the time. They fashioned clothing as both a means to keep warm and a way to protect their sensitive bits.
There doesn't seem to be a rule against it. In some past episodes the contestants have fashioned clothing, like woven bikinis, loin cloths, etc. One episode a guy brought rope as his survival item and made sandals. In the terrain they were in, that was a lifesaver! It let them travel much more easily in search of water/shelter/food.

justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
I really like it so far. I can't believe those guys let Honora not once but twice throw something in the river. She has some problems.
They probably could not believe she would be crazy enough to do it AGAIN.

Too bad Honora did not get put into a group with Shane. Psychopaths unite!

john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #7
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
... One episode a guy brought rope as his survival item and made sandals. In the terrain they were in, that was a lifesaver! It let them travel much more easily in search of water/shelter/food.
Wasn't that the guy who brought duct tape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
They probably could not believe she would be crazy enough to do it AGAIN.

Her name should be changed to DIShonora.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #8
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
He'd have eaten her for dinner.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:36 PM   #9
knuckles
Watch This Baby!

It's been good so far. I can't believe Honora didn't learn anything from her first time around.

knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:50 PM   #10
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles View Post
It's been good so far. I can't believe Honora didn't learn anything from her first time around.
At least she did not bring a magnifying glass.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:31 AM   #11
jeepair

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Wasn't that the guy who brought duct tape?
No, the guy who made shoes brought rope which I thought at first was dumb but it turned out to be an excellent item.

The two guys with Honora need to leave her in the middle of the night and go join another group or at least move locations away from her. Since they show the group photo with everyone, they know others are around somewhere. Smoke Signals.

jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:08 AM   #12
wendiness1
WiiMomma

Honora is becoming unhinged. I would have thought the production company would have screened participants better.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:20 AM   #13
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendiness1 View Post
Honora is becoming unhinged. I would have thought the production company would have screened participants better.
I'm pretty sure they knew what they were getting with Honora, based on her last appearance. An attractive but crazy woman who is not much of a survivalist but creates drama.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:46 AM   #14
philw1776

The concept of justified homicide comes to mind.

philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:09 AM   #15
vertigo235

I can't believe her behavior, basically like a spoiled 5 year old.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #16
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
I can't believe her behavior, basically like a spoiled 5 year old.
If you saw her in Brazil you wouldn't be much surprised by her behavior this time. She's easily the worst participant they've ever had and that was true even before this episode.

Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:43 AM   #17
vertigo235

Yeah I saw that episode too, she's even crazier this time though.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #18
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

I watched the episode with Honora's meltdown. Wow, she's quite a piece of work. Before the crazy even started they showed her (and one of the guys even commented on it) laying/resting out in the hot sun because she's all exhausted and dizzy. Exactly the same thing she did the first time around that led to her getting carried out on a stretcher.

I'd be afraid to date her: Gawd only knows what she'd do if, say, I left the toilet seat up.

Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #19
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeters View Post
I watched the episode with Honora's meltdown. Wow, she's quite a piece of work. Before the crazy even started they showed her (and one of the guys even commented on it) laying/resting out in the hot sun because she's all exhausted and dizzy. Exactly the same thing she did the first time around that led to her getting carried out on a stretcher.

I'd be afraid to date her: Gawd only knows what she'd do if, say, I left the toilet seat up.
Or tried to break up with her!

Old 08-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #20
goblue97
Welcome Home, Jimmy!

Anyone still watching?

I was bummed to see Shane have to tap out. Also, those two girls, Alana and Danielle (I think) are driving me nuts. They had the nerve to criticize people for not pulling their own weight when Shane basically built their entire shelter. Plus, I haven't seen them catch anything yet.

goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #21
goblue97
Welcome Home, Jimmy!

Anyone still watching?

I was bummed to see Shane have to tap out. Also, those two girls, Alana and Danielle (I think) are driving me nuts. They had the nerve to criticize people for not pulling their own weight when Shane basically built their entire shelter. Plus, I haven't seen them catch anything yet.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #22
vertigo235

We're still watching here, I agree with the "alpha males" I would want to avoid all the drama that that other group brings.

Shane may be weird, but those other guys knew how t work with him, just remain positive and he can be a great team member.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #23
vertigo235

We're still watching here, I agree with the "alpha males" I would want to avoid all the drama that that other group brings.

Shane may be weird, but those other guys knew how t work with him, just remain positive and he can be a great team member.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #24
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I wonder if Shane has any friends. I felt sad for him. He really looked like he lost a lot of weight. I hated the girls he was with and that hasn't changed.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #25
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Shane deserved a better outcome and more supportive teammates. I was surprised after consuming the well water and eel he didn't get any better. Maybe at that point his body was too far gone.

As for Shane's lazy, self-centered nemesis Alana, I hope she's next to go based on karma points alone.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #26
goblue97
Welcome Home, Jimmy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
As for Shane's lazy, self-centered nemesis Alana, I hope she's next to go based on karma points alone.
She has too large of a support group now keeping her up. I'll be the first to if she has to tap out though.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:02 PM   #27
getreal
postcrastinator

I doubt that Alana will tap out because she can rely on the men to provide for her, but her evil minion Danielle the vegetarian is stuck in a carnivore's paradise and will have to adapt or tap out. Why do vegetarians go on these shows?

I wonder what the doctors had to say about Shane's condition after he tapped out.

I also wonder how much the ediing is telling a different story than the reality of the situation. Is there a security guy with the camera crew to protect them from the big predators at night? Perhaps that Minnesota dentist?

Old 08-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #28
inaka

I have enjoyed the standard 21-day Naked and Afraid episodes in the past, so I checked out this new XL version.

It's completely fake and staged to me.
So many scenes are fabricated that it's glaringly obvious.

Catching a turtle and building a trap for it while both guys go away saying "He's not getting out of there!" Of course he did. Hey, here's an idea. Bring the damn thing with you, only have one of you guys go get water while turtle is cooking, or kill it before you go.

I swear there was a brief moment where I saw that older former marine guy wearing flip flops that were NOT made in the wild.

The timing of another tribe walking in after the guys kill an eel, RIGHT when the guys are saying "Amen" and about to eat was producers totally staging that scene entirely.

Too many fabrications to list, but it's fun to watch this show for it's fakeness, much the same way it's fun to watch a show about mediocre card tricks just to figure out how they're doing it.

The falseness of this show bring into question the 21 day show to me as well.
Bummer.

inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:29 PM   #29
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
I have enjoyed the standard 21-day Naked and Afraid episodes in the past, so I checked out this new XL version.

It's completely fake and staged to me.
So many scenes are fabricated that it's glaringly obvious.

Catching a turtle and building a trap for it while both guys go away saying "He's not getting out of there!" Of course he did. Hey, here's an idea. Bring the damn thing with you, only have one of you guys go get water while turtle is cooking, or kill it before you go....
Oh yes! The turtle! He should be listed as a guest star for all the times he appeared. While the guys were building the turtle cage they kept the turtle on his back to prevent his escape. Then they put him right side up once he is in the cage and said their farewells. Then in this latest episode, "Sacrifice", the turtle is seen briefly running into the savannah as the two awful women Alana and her minion Danielle the vegetarian set off for Piranha Lake.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #30
inaka

Just for fun, I did some digging, and found a reddit thread about the XL show.
They are prohibited from killing turtles in that region in the first place!

So as I guessed, the entire turtle drama was completely fabricated by both the camp that Shane was in, and especially the one with the two alpha males who "caught" him.

There are also so many other fake elements that the reddit thread/subreddit is worth a read.

inaka is offline   Reply With Quote