TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2014, 01:31 AM   #1
Peter000

Believe "Pilot" 3/10/14 SPOILERS

I was pretty entertained by the premiere of "Believe." The guardian guy was over the top cranky/angry, but other than that the characters were likable and the action was good. They set things up nicely with the over-arching story. I get the idea it's going to be a "help-someone-of-the-week" combined with "almost-getting-caught" by the bad guys or authorities show. I'm okay with that though, as long as questions are answered and the mysterious stuff is explained over time.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
BrandonRe

The premise was reminiscent of "Touch" with Keifer Sutherland. It is a different show, but there are some similarities: a child prodigy being chased by "bad guys" who each week uses their talent to help someone who is in a bad spot.

It will be interesting to watch the dynamic of the show develop. As far as the guardian being overly cranky, I might be too if I were truly innocent and about 2 minutes from execution.
BrandonRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
Peter000

Yes! I got a total "Touch" vibe from the show too.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
I get the idea it's going to be a "help-someone-of-the-week" combined with "almost-getting-caught" by the bad guys or authorities show.
So it's the A-team with a 10 year old girl?
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
She IS the A-Team.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
JYoung
Series 3

Then why doesn't she have a mohawk?

The pilot kept me interested enough and Kyle Maclachlan can play a fairly creepy bad guy.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Enjoyed it more than most new shows this season. It could get bad very quickly, but so far it's fun. I was expecting more protracted one-take scenes since Cuarón directed this episode. It was fairly well-shot but I would never have known he was the director and writer if I ignored the credits.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonRe View Post
The premise was reminiscent of "Touch" with Keifer Sutherland. It is a different show, but there are some similarities:
BARELY a different show . My wife and I said the same thing - It's "Touch" with a kid who isn't annoying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
awsnyde

I enjoyed it. I can kind of see the Touch comparison, but I don't think it's that close. Yes, it's a kid saving someone, but the "powers" are completely different. Touch seemed more of a puzzle of how every thread would fit together; I don't yet see that happening here.

There were a lot of stupid bits—this is definitely not a show to give too much thought to. Why no guns when your opponents will obviously be using them. Completely idiotic. Also, related to that, Winter just gave you a big bag of money. Why even worry about him supplying you a gun when you can easily buy one at any gun show in the US? (And why not go back later for the bag of money on the fire escape? It'll probably still be there, and there seems little chance the bad guys will be watching.)

Why couldn't the main bad guy send more than one person at a time to get the girl?

But I guess my main worry, since the girl's powers are not well defined: How will this avoid being a deus ex machina every week, since she will be able to exhibit whatever powers happen to be needed?

That said, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed it quite a lot, and will continue watching for now.
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
randian

Why no guns? Hollywood liberal politics.

As for buying a gun, he couldn't pass the background check. He hasn't been given false documents yet, if they intend to at all, and his face will surely be on every television station and major newspaper.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #11
awsnyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
As for buying a gun, he couldn't pass the background check.
I don't follow it that closely, but I thought the gun show background check loophole still existed. At any rate, he had at the last time he asked for a gun a huge bag of money. If TV has taught me anything, it's that he'll have no problem getting a gun with that much money.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #12
randian

That loophole never existed. Gun shows are subject to the same regulations regular gun stores are. Yes, with that kind of money he could buy plenty of black market guns. More pressing is food and shelter now that he has no money. Dumping it was major-league stupid.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:52 PM   #13
AeneaGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsnyde View Post
I enjoyed it. I can kind of see the Touch comparison, but I don't think it's that close. Yes, it's a kid saving someone, but the "powers" are completely different. Touch seemed more of a puzzle of how every thread would fit together; I don't yet see that happening here.
I've never liked the 'powers' from Touch, it meant there was a higher power and/or that everything was predetermined and I don't believe in either of those.

I can believe (!) in this, even though it's all fantasy as well, it's easier for me.
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:20 AM   #14
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
That loophole never existed.
Of course it does. And it still exists today.

Quote:
Gun shows are subject to the same regulations regular gun stores are.
This is a misleading/incorrect statement. Gun store owners who show at gun shows are subject to the same regulations as at their store, yes, but people who are NOT gun store owners, who do not have firearm licenses, can sell at gun shows and are NOT required to perform background checks. It's considered a "person-to-person" sale, and not subject to any regulation whatsoever.

The same is true of internet sales through places like armslist. It's a meeting site where you can find someone willing to sell their guns, often at a higher price than you can get them from a legitimate vendor, but because it's a person-to-person sale it's not regulated in any way. The Armslist forums are full of complaints about people who are actually making a living going to the local gun store, buying a gun, and then listing it that day online for more than they paid, and selling it to someone who could not pass a background check. Most of them don't even care if you actually tell them up front that you can't pass a background check (a NYT investigation revealed that 80% of sellers were willing to sell to someone who admitted up front that they couldn't pass a background check).

We tried, after Sandy Hook, to close this loophole, but the NRA opposed it with every weapon in their armory. Instead, several states actually passed legislation making it EASIER to buy a gun.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:14 AM   #15
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I liked it. It kept me interested and made me curious of the background of the two sides involved in protecting or stealing the girl. Nice twist at the end explaining why they chose the death row guy as her protector (him being her dad).

I think the no guns thing is more to make them seam like superheroes than anything else (usually we don't see superheroes using conventional guns, although I'm sure some of you will point out where I'm wrong). And frankly I like that angle. But, I don't get having ONE man protecting the girl if she's an asset like that, but it's TV and it's fantasy, so I'll go for it.

Not going to get into the gun control argument here, except to say Ereth, nice post.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #16
ufo4sale

Since this show is pretty much about my life I sort of feel obligator to watch it.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #17
mr.unnatural

Never mind. I was thinking of a different show.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:55 PM   #18
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

I like SciFi shows a lot but the acting and fight scenes were horrible. I'll try one more but this isn't going to last 3 weeks.
2 DirecTV HR20-700 HD DVR's
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #19
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Then why doesn't she have a mohawk?

The pilot kept me interested enough and Kyle Maclachlan can play a fairly creepy bad guy.
The pilot on "The A-Team" kept me interested too. I bet Schultz had a lot of fun playing Murdock.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo4sale View Post
Since this show is pretty much about my life I sort of feel obligator to watch it.
Is Obligator your Marvel Universe name?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:49 AM   #21
danterner
Not it!

Why did they need the subterfuge of being an EMT team and patient to get into the hospital? Couldn't they just have walked in like most people do? Was it because he was a wanted man and would be recognized? It's not like the fake bruises were a compelling disguise.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #22
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Why did they need the subterfuge of being an EMT team and patient to get into the hospital? Couldn't they just have walked in like most people do? Was it because he was a wanted man and would be recognized? It's not like the fake bruises were a compelling disguise.
I'm pretty sure it was the wanted man thing.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #23
andyw715

Quote:
That and he immediately got up off the gurney in front of all the ER staff, and no one noticed?
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #24
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
That and he immediately got up off the gurney in front of all the ER staff, and no one noticed?
LOL yeah, I noticed that.
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #25
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
I was expecting more protracted one-take scenes since Cuarón directed this episode.
Though that opening car crash scene certainly did the protracted-one-take in a very powerful way.

I definitely like that the girl is still a girl and does silly childish things and is excited to see people. They're balancing her pretty well so far, but it'd be very easy for them to go off the rails and either go too far to one or the other, or widen the contrast.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #26
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I watched it by accident, meaning I just didn't change the channel. I noticed the Touch-like feel right away and got more into it as it went. I'll definitely watch it again.

Hot4Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #27
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I'm pretty sure it was the wanted man thing.
The wanted man thing and the fact that he wouldn't have easily gotten into the actual emergency room area unless someone let him in.
(I think that the original plan would have been to use the ambulance as the getaway vehicle.)

What was he going to do, wait in the ER waiting room for hours until someone was ready to see him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
Having worked in a hospital for years and seen a busy ER, that didn't surprise me one bit.
They did have someone mention that the ER was prepping for incoming victims of a bus crash.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 03-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #28
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
What was he going to do, wait in the ER waiting room for hours until someone was ready to see him?
Walk in the front door of the hospital. Or another entrance. Most hospitals have several. Wear a hat and sunglasses. Nobody would have recognized him. Or have someone recognize him. Make THAT the drama.

That whole arriving by ambulance thing was STUPID.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #29
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Walk in the front door of the hospital. Or another entrance. Most hospitals have several. Wear a hat and sunglasses. Nobody would have recognized him. Or have someone recognize him. Make THAT the drama.

As I said, I believe that the original plan was to use the ambulance as a getaway vehicle and you usually find those around the emergency room.

It would have likely been considered out of place anywhere else and/or attracted additional attention.
So they needed a valid reason to be at the ER so it wouldn't look out of place and there's really only one immediate reason, coming in with a patient.
So Dad goes in, gets off the gurney, goes and gets the girl, and runs back out to the waiting ambulance and they make their getaway.

I grant that if I'm right though, it wasn't spelled out very well at all.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 03-14-2014, 11:21 PM   #30
awsnyde

Quote:

The hospitals I've been at in recent years have extremely tight security. In most of them it's difficult, if not impossible, to get past check-in desks. Doors are actually locked, and you have to be buzzed past. I'm sure a determined person could get past, but not without drawing the type of scrutiny they almost certainly did not want to draw.

It is definitely a big change from the hospitals of the past (pre 9/11?). My late wife worked as an x-ray tech in one when I met her in the late 80s, and you could pretty much walk anywhere in the hospital without anyone stopping you, except possibly drug storage, laboratory, and hospital personnel lounges.