TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #1
cherry ghost

Hannibal - Season 3(2015) - *spoilers up to last aired episode*

So disturbing yet so good, as usual.

Liked that there was a time jump and we only find out what's going on with Hannibal and Bedilia. I'm sure we'll be given more info on what happened to everyone else in the coming weeks.

cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

The show is so amazing.

I had to pack up my surround gear in preparation for a move, so I'm only using a sound bar, but even so, the music is harsh and nightmarish - setting the tone perfectly.

Who is the dude in the wheelchair giving so generously of himself? Have we seen him before, or are we meant to not know who he is just yet?

Carlucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
The show is so amazing.

I had to pack up my surround gear in preparation for a move, so I'm only using a sound bar, but even so, the music is harsh and nightmarish - setting the tone perfectly.

Who is the dude in the wheelchair giving so generously of himself? Have we seen him before, or are we meant to not know who he is just yet?
That was Abel Gideon. I couldn't remember the whole backstory, so looked it up.

http://hannibal.wikia.com/wiki/Abel_Gideon

Old 06-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
classicX
Don't scream.

Why one thread for the whole season?

Old 06-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #5
sean67854
Why?

I'm not sure if it was my mood, or the lack of Will and Jack, but ep 1 seemed off somehow to me. All of the normal elements were there, music, close-ups, slo-mos, etc, but I just wasn't into it like I normally am. I wonder if it was because it was basically just a setup episode without much real story.

Xbox gamertag sean67854

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #6
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicX View Post
Why one thread for the whole season?

I was going to create an episode thread but saw how little participation there was in old threads.

You can still create on if you want.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:28 AM   #7
mr.unnatural

I totally forgot the back story with Gideon. I hate that this show only airs for a short season during the summer, as do many other shows. It really makes it hard to keep track of the story when I've watched so many other shows during the gap between seasons.

Definitely one of the most disturbing shows I've ever seen on TV, but also one of the most masterfully done. Mads Mikkelsen is incredible as Hannibal. I'm still not sure what happened to Jack and Will after Hannibal's spree of carnage at the end of last season. It's still unclear who survived and who didn't.

mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #8
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I totally forgot the back story with Gideon. I hate that this show only airs for a short season during the summer, as do many other shows. It really makes it hard to keep track of the story when I've watched so many other shows during the gap between seasons.

Definitely one of the most disturbing shows I've ever seen on TV, but also one of the most masterfully done. Mads Mikkelsen is incredible as Hannibal. I'm still not sure what happened to Jack and Will after Hannibal's spree of carnage at the end of last season. It's still unclear who survived and who didn't.
I agree with all points. I can't remember what happened at the end of last season. Sounds like maybe its because it wasn't even revealed? See, I can't even remember if it ended in a cliffhanger or not.

justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
I agree with all points. I can't remember what happened at the end of last season. Sounds like maybe its because it wasn't even revealed? See, I can't even remember if it ended in a cliffhanger or not.
I believe Jack and Will were both stabbed by Hannibal and Alana was pushed out a window by Abigail Hobbs. I most remember it ending with Hannibal and Bedilia on a plane.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #10
smbaker

I didn't care for S03E01 at all.

The muddy dialog over my TV's speakers made the dialog hard to understand, the many different flashbacks made it all confusing. The flashbacks involving Gideon were at least in black and white, but the flashbacks of Scully's first kill were not. It took me half the episode to figure out Doctor Fell and wife were the one he killed, and not the previous curator who Doctor Fell replaced. That nobody (other than one dude, from a bar) would recognize that Hannibal was not Doctor Fell seemed was not reasonable and required excessive suspension of disbelief.

The scenes with Able Gideon were especially pointless. We already know Hannibal cut off his body parts and fed them to him. That was last season material. So we just padded out this episode with more scenes of the same.

It did have it's moments. I loved the "Observe or Participate" scene. I liked the innuendo about Hannibal caring about his wife's "taste". I love Gillian Anderson and wonder why we haven't seen more of her on television.

I expected Anthony, guy from the party who later offered to help Hannibal "untangle" himself (Duh. Hannibal don't need your help, dude), to last most of the season as some kind of foe/blackmailer/protege/etc, yet he was quickly dispatched. I figured they might even be setting up a new Wil.

What was up with Scully's first kill? It looked like she had her arm down the guy's throat?

I look forward to seeing this season unfold, and hope the main dish is better than the antipasto.

smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:59 AM   #11
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
I didn't care for S03E01 at all...I look forward to seeing this season unfold, and hope the main dish is better than the antipasto.
a great summary of my thoughts on the se3 premiere.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #12
OliviaM

I love this show

OliviaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:51 PM   #13
mr.unnatural

I agree that the episode was a bit confusing, but mainly because I had forgotten where we left off. Several parts of the episode brought back bits of previous episodes that I had forgotten about. What I did find intriguing was the intimate history with Bedilia that hadn't been explained in previous seasons. I was wondering how she became close enough to Hannibal to run off with him. This episode filled in many of the blanks I had been missing.

One now wonders how long it will take before Bedilia finds herself on the menu.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #14
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
One now wonders how long it will take before Bedilia finds herself on the menu.
I'm pretty sure that Bedilla has the same question rattling around in the back of her mind.

Couldn't help but notice how she modified her eating habits around Hannibal.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:31 AM   #15
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I did not care for this episode much. I know the show is called Hannibal but it has never been primarily about Hannibal, and this episode showed me that the show could not possibly be worth watching if it was just about Hannibal.

Bedelia's actions were really the only interesting part. I realize that the episode's primary intent was to show us why Bedelia's with him and how she's self-sacrificing to be the companion Hannibal apparently needs all the while making sure to get her face on CCTV in order to help law enforcement, but even still, it felt very dull and uninteresting to me.

TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #16
trainman
Nice to see you

* checking to make sure Caroline Dhavernas's name is still in the opening credits *

* checking again to make sure Caroline Dhavernas's name is still in the opening credits *

Old 06-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #17
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
* checking to make sure Caroline Dhavernas's name is still in the opening credits *

* checking again to make sure Caroline Dhavernas's name is still in the opening credits *
We still don't know her status. Same goes for Laurence Fishburne.
Spoiler:
They may both be dead but still show up frequently in flashbacks just like Abigail in the current episode.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #18
smbaker

I'm not a fan of E02 either.

... Will Graham broods ...

... Will Graham reminds us about last season in Flashbacks ...

... Will Graham sees dead people ...

... Will Graham meets French Will Graham and tells him Hannibal is gonna kill him ...

... Will Graham forgives ...

It feels like E01 and E02 were both devoid of plot and setting us up for the rest of the season. The creepy atmosphere and visuals are spot on with prior seasons, but so far I'm finding the substance to be lacking.

It did have one particular exchange of dialog that I liked:
Will: "You shoudn't be down here alone"

French Guy: "I'm not alone. I'm with you!"

Will: "You don't know what side I'm on."
I still have hope, and I still want to see more Gillian Anderson.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #19
ADG
Allan

I thought that was an excruciating hour of television to sit through. I don't mind a little directoral creativity, but I'm not a fan of style over substance - and this show is simply too stylistic.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #20
mr.unnatural

I thought the scene with the body that morphed into the freakish stag was one of the creepiest I've seen on TV. This show is like being on a constant acid flashback. It's definitely unlike anything else that's been done on TV before. The creativity and imagery and way above and beyond anything else I've seen to date in a TV series. This show takes the horror genre to a whole new level.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:03 PM   #21
mattack

is the stag imagery in the orig book?

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:16 AM   #22
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
I thought that was an excruciating hour of television to sit through. I don't mind a little directoral creativity, but I'm not a fan of style over substance - and this show is simply too stylistic.
Having just attempted to watch the current episode last night, I didn't even make it halfway through. Something snapped and I felt so weary of Will's hallucinations (or whatever they are) and I dropped the whole thing. I'm out now. This isn't meant as a threadcrap, by any means. But I couldn't watch another minute.

I still think it's a very good show and MM is truly amazing. Maybe I just want Will to go away. It's interesting how one can enjoy the bad guy and want the good guy to take a bullet to the head. I'm feeling the same thing, watching Breaking Bad for the first time.

sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:43 PM   #23
classicX
Don't scream.

Mm?

Old 06-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #24
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicX View Post
Mm?
Mads Mikkelsen

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 06-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #25
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Mads Mikkelsen
Sorry about that. At that moment I wasn't exactly sure how to spell his last name and figured that was better than misspelling it.

sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:10 PM   #26
trainman
Nice to see you

* Checking yet again to make sure Caroline Dhavernas's name is still in the opening credits *

Spoiler:
Yes, I saw the (beginning of the) preview at the end of this week's episode, so I know she's in next week's episode.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #27
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
* Checking yet again to make sure Caroline Dhavernas's name is still in the opening credits *
It may be irrelevant.
NBC cancels Hannibal.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 06-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #28
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
It may be irrelevant.
NBC cancels Hannibal.
I wonder if there's still hope that a deal can be worked out. Sounds like it's not about lack of interest or poor ratings, but rather an IP dispute.

While I hope it continues as I really like the actors and their portrayal of the characters, this season I'm not really feeling the love for yet. I've seen three episodes and hated them all. The only thing that's keeping me is the leftover strength of previous seasons.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:19 PM   #29
robojerk

The only way to forgive NBC, is to eat NBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:40 AM   #30
ADG
Allan

After this week's episode I've got to say that I won't miss it. Literally ten minutes of story advancement in 40 minutes of script.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote