What the hell was that ending

it sounded (and looked) like two people reminiscing about a friend at a funeral
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
MikeMar
Go Pats

Mother is dying, so won't be at her daughters Wedding whenever that happens

HAS to be it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post

HAS to be it
Agreed. Very bittersweet, sad. Interesting choice.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

HAS to be it
If that was the case, then why didn't the Mother seem to feel anything when Ted said that? I mean, we know Ted is super sentimental, but we've been led to believe that the Mother is basically a female clone of Ted, so I can't imagine she'd seem to have basically no reaction to that statement if what you said is accurate.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
If that was the case, then why didn't the Mother seem to feel anything when Ted said that? I mean, we know Ted is super sentimental, but we've been led to believe that the Mother is basically a female clone of Ted, so I can't imagine she'd seem to have basically no reaction to that statement if what you said is accurate.
She's accepted it and since it's happening to her she has moved onto accepting it.

A lot of times when someone is dying, at a point isn't it harder on loved ones than the person themselves?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

If this is indeed the case, then it sucks.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
Sparty99

A couple of other points to remember:

-At the beginning of the episode, the Mother (I'll bet a lot of money that her name is going to be Kim) says, "Thanks for bringing me here." It was said earlier this year that they come back pretty regularly, I believe around the time of the wedding (he proposed at the lighthouse). But they were there in the middle of a snowstorm, and she says, "Thanks for bringing me here." Why? Because she wanted one last trip to one of her favorite places.
-This is something I only thought of in hindsight, but when they revealed they knew all of their stories, they high-fived and said, "It's official, we're an old married couple." Maybe a small celebration for something they thought they'd never attain?
-"Kim" says, "I don’t want you to be the guy who lives in his stories. Life only moves forward." You can see a look on Ted's face that shows a sadness that this woman won't be there much longer, that life will be moving forward without her.

When theorized last week that the kids simply look bored when their father is telling them the story, someone asked how they could be bored when their mother has just passed away (therefore seemingly debunking the death theory). But their mother hasn't just passed away, she's been gone for 5-6 years at that point (this storytelling takes place in 2024, the Bob Saget stuff in 2030). It also explains why we're not hearing the mother's side of the story. She's not there to tell the story.

On another note, does anyone know the name of the Dylan song at the end of the show?

Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #8
LooseWiring

Yeah, that was my take.

It sucks considering how much I like the mother but it would help explain why he's telling the story in the first place.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
cmontyburns
Excellent.

After the debate in the thread for last week's episode, with several of us -- including me -- saying "no way" to the "mother is dead" theory… it sure looks like we were wrong.

I didn't like this episode anyway, but it could have been the funniest one ever and I still would have hated it for what Bays & Thomas are apparently up to. Perhaps the worst of it is that the truth now stinks either way. Either she's dead, which is horribly manipulative of the audience, or it's a fake-out, which is horribly manipulative of the audience. Oh my. I can't believe it.

Sepinwall has a good screed up about this one.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #10
vman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post

Sepinwall has a good screed up about this one.
agree with everything in that. Sadly, it appears the mother's warning in this episode comes true - Ted will be a guy who forever lives in old stories...
Old 03-04-2014, 12:48 AM   #11
Michael S

I would hate it if they ended the series on the she's dead thing. I would like them to end the series on a high note instead of downer. Also did they make Ted look older in this episode? He looked like he had a receding hairline.
Michael S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:15 AM   #12
Ereth

No, no, no, no.

We finally meet the mother, and she's TERRIFIC. A character I wish we'd spent more seasons with, and now they all but tell us they are killing her off?

I think "Burn in Hell, Fox" is about to get a companion slogan.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:38 AM   #13
waynomo
My One Time

The song was "If You See Her, Say Hello" by Bob Dylan from Blood On the Tracks.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #14
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
The song was "If You See Her, Say Hello" by Bob Dylan from Blood On the Tracks.
"And though our separation
It pierced me to the heart
She still lives inside of me
We've never been apart"

I really hope they are not leading us to her dying after all we've been through getting here.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:10 AM   #15
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Yep, after my hesitation last week, they've all but put the nails in her coffin, even Sepinwall is on this path and we all think it's a horrible idea, if they do head there, this may be the new poster child of how not to end a series, I can hope they're just screwing with us ala Patrice.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #16
pahunt

OK, let's assume that the "mother is dead" theory is correct, which it certainly appears to be judging by this episode. While I understand people being upset about that, personally I love the fact that on a mainstream network show like this, Bays and Thomas have been bold enough to have that as their ending and also that they've been planning it from the start.

I've hated this season ("How your mother met me" aside) but this redeems it as far as I'm concerned and the only thing that annoys me is that the fact that I'd heard the theory previously and that reduced the impact of the emotional gut-punch that I'm sure I would have felt when Ted started to tear up at the end.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #17
pahunt

Oh and the fact that the mother has been so great and we've seen so little of her to me is a perfect analogy for how Ted's kids would have felt about her.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #18
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I won't know how I feel about it until it's over: I hate it now but I'm not ruling out the possibility that they could pull it off.

I wonder if Ted's telling the kids about the mother because he's met someone else and they'll end on a bittersweet note showing Ted's moving on after all and not living in the past.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #19
Sparty99

I don't know why, but the dead mother storyline doesn't bother me. I think it's another look at love, like Ted spends all this time looking for "the one", and when he finally finds her it's gone before he knows it.

What I WOULD hate is if they use this development as an excuse to get Ted and Robin back together. When I read the lyrics to the Dylan song, it's not hard to come to the conclusion that the song is not about the mother but instead about Robin. That would be a horrible twist for the show to take.

There is one thing I'm curious about. Throughout the years on this forum some of us have complained about the fact that the reveal of the mother had taken too long, had been teased too much, while others said that the story was about the journey, and that it was fine if we didn't meet the mother until the very end. I'm genuinely curious how the "journey" people would feel if this is truly how the story ends, with a dead mother or a new love interest for Ted. I can't imagine it would be as simple as being about the journey in such a case.

Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #20
DUDE_NJX

I liked the show more when it was a sitcom.
DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #21
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. What happened at the end of the episode that everybody is taking as a clue to the dead mother?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #22
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. What happened at the end of the episode that everybody is taking as a clue to the dead mother?
The main thing is that, during the retelling of the story when Robin's mother arrived, The Mother said something like "she wasn't going to miss her daughter's wedding." And then Ted teared up.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #23
Supfreak26
Live Like Noone Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
The main thing is that, during the retelling of the story when Robin's mother arrived, The Mother said something like "she wasn't going to miss her daughter's wedding." And then Ted teared up.
If they were hinting that the mother is going to die, they did a horrible job of it. My wife and I were totally confused by teds reaction.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #24
pahunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supfreak26 View Post
If they were hinting that the mother is going to die, they did a horrible job of it. My wife and I were totally confused by teds reaction.
I think that's what the writers were aiming for though. For people who weren't aware of the theory that the mother was dead, this was one of the moments that would be designed to make sense only once the reveal at the end of the season happens.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #25
MikeMar
Go Pats

For a brief moment I thought she was saying that Ted's mother wasn't there for THEIR wedding. So there's a chance for that

Old 03-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #26
waynomo
My One Time

I guess I should have paid more attention to these HIMYM threads. I had no interest in commenting on anything this season because it has been so mundane. Little did I know what I had been missing.

When I started reading this thread I felt like my local provider had broadcast the wrong episode. I couldn't figure out what everybody was talking about. I get it now. Thanks!
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #27
AeneaGames

Quote:
For a brief moment I thought she was saying that Ted's mother wasn't there for THEIR wedding. So there's a chance for that
How about the mother's mother wasn't there? That's what I immediately thought...
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #28
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeneaGames View Post
How about the mother's mother wasn't there? That's what I immediately thought...
I was just going w/ Ted's mother since he is the one who teared up.

But who knows

Old 03-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #29
pahunt

Quote:
I was just going w/ Ted's mother since he is the one who teared up.

But who knows
For me, the moment felt too "significant" for it to be about some minor character missing a wedding. The likelihood is that Ted and the mother had been married for a number of years by 2024 and for Ted to tear up about it all that time later would seem unrealistic to me.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #30
billypritchard
Embiggener

I see a lot of negativity, but I myself don't feel that way towards this path. There have been plenty of possible hints at a melancholy in the story. Even this year when we've had glimpses of the mother, it's been laced with sorrow. Her prior love for sure.

I think perhaps this shows why they were reticent to give us too much mother before the end of the show. If they hit it out of the park and made us love her, then the ending really is a downer. If they give us hints instead, we hopefully feel sorrow for Ted, but not crushingly so. A real pickle they put themselves in.

Anyway, not everybody thinks this is a terrible choice.