TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
stumantexas

Raomio plus/pro uses two IPs

I was looking around my network and noticed an IP that I did not recognize. Chatted with support to make sure if roamio pro/plus uses one or two IP's and they told me one - then after pressing found that this is the streamer inside the roamio that is using the second IP and there does not seem to be any method of contolling how it gets it - uses dhcp without a setup screen that I can find.

Anyone know how to manually set the internal streamer's IP?

Thanks
stumantexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't think there is a way. I poked around at my standalone Stream quite a bit when I first got it. There are some web based UIs you can access via special ports, but none have any editable options just information. And the setup stuff seems to all be automatic in the iOS app.

Some routers have an option to assign a static IP address to specific MAC address, you might be able to use that to force your Stream to have a specific IP. Although technically it's still using DHCP, just guaranteed to be assigned a specific IP.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Tivoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumantexas View Post
I was looking around my network and noticed an IP that I did not recognize. Chatted with support to make sure if roamio pro/plus uses one or two IP's and they told me one - then after pressing found that this is the streamer inside the roamio that is using the second IP and there does not seem to be any method of contolling how it gets it - uses dhcp without a setup screen that I can find.

Anyone know how to manually set the internal streamer's IP?

Thanks
Why do you want to control what IP it gets? I do this kind of thing on my router. I enter the MAC and assign a static IP address. The device still does DHCP, but my router hands out the same IP address to that MAC.
Tivoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivoli View Post
Why do you want to control what IP it gets? I do this kind of thing on my router. I enter the MAC and assign a static IP address. The device still does DHCP, but my router hands out the same IP address to that MAC.
Out of curiosity is there an advantage of manually assigning a MAC address w/ static IP? I do that for my wireless printer & NAS but am wondering what benefit I'd gain by doing it for the TiVo - any performance/reliability?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't think there is any advantage to static IPs with TiVo. TiVos use a broadcast/discovery protocol to find each other automatically anyway. It shouldn't matter what their IPs are.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I don't think there is any advantage to static IPs with TiVo. TiVos use a broadcast/discovery protocol to find each other automatically anyway. It shouldn't matter what their IPs are.
Yes there is.

Perhaps not for the streamer or MRS, but the main IP address being static (or fixed in DHCP) is extremely convenient when wanting to test it, use filters, pointing a browser at it, using ping, etc.

I wouldn't want my TiVo potentially getting different addresses each time it reboots...
Old 08-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Yes there is.

Perhaps not for the streamer or MRS, but the main IP address being static (or fixed in DHCP) is extremely convenient when wanting to test it, use filters, pointing a browser at it, using ping, etc.

I wouldn't want my TiVo potentially getting different addresses each time it reboots...
Yeah - I know in the past I've had issues with my wireless printer having occasional connection issues or IP conflicts so assigned MAC/IP to it that resolved for good - so I can't imagine it wouldn't hurt to assign a dedicated IP to the TiVo device as well.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I meant for normal operations. If you regularly access the TiVo via a browser or need to add any special rules for it to your firewall then of course a static IP would be easier to deal with. However for normal TiVo operations it doesn't really matter.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
innocentfreak

In the past static IPs seemed to help somewhat with the speed or at least it felt that way. I remember early on people finding the Premiere faster on a static IP. I always assign mine a static IP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think the way it works is every 10-15 minutes a TiVo will send out a UDP packet to the entire network saying "hear I am". If there are any other TiVos on the network they recognize that packet and cache the name and IP of that TiVo and then respond with their own "here I am" packet so the other TiVo is aware of them instantly, rather then waiting for their own timed packet. If the network changes in any way, or the TiVo reboots, it send out the packet immediately. Based on that I can't see how a static IP would provide any speed advantage.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
In the past static IPs seemed to help somewhat with the speed or at least it felt that way. I remember early on people finding the Premiere faster on a static IP. I always assign mine a static IP.
I dunno if this is exactly 'scientific' or not - but after I set a static IP (via MAC address) earlier today, access remotely to my device via iOS app is instant now (the 'reconnecting' part) - it almost always took 5-10 seconds before.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumantexas View Post
the streamer inside the roamio that is using the second IP
Question about two IPs. I was planning on connecting my Pro via ethernet. Can a single cable handle two IP addresses?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #13
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Question about two IPs. I was planning on connecting my Pro via ethernet. Can a single cable handle two IP addresses?
Absolutely!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #14
kdmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedsoul View Post
Out of curiosity is there an advantage of manually assigning a MAC address w/ static IP? I do that for my wireless printer & NAS but am wondering what benefit I'd gain by doing it for the TiVo - any performance/reliability?
There's an additional benefit. Most routers do not maintain the Dynamic allocation table across reboots. Most routers do not ping or arp before assigning an address.

End result, your tivo gets 192.168.1.30. The router reboots, loses it's table. Your laptop then gets 192.168.1.30. You now have an IP conflict that historically tivos (among many other devices) have not handled terribly well.

If you create a static reservation for your tivo that is outside of your normal dhcp pool, this problem can never occur.
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #15
unitron

DHCP means the router and the device have to have a conversation and negotiate what IP address the device gets.

More chance for something to go wrong than the device just announcing what its IP address is.

Anything that doesn't travel and need to log onto some other network, I don't see any reason not to give it a fixed IP address.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #16
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Absolutely!
Thanks.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #17
Icarus

Quote:
Yes there is.

you should be able to find it using bonjour.

dvr-<last 4 digits of TSN>.local

If you use safari, you can enable bonjour in the bookmarks preferences and then in bookmarks menu, under bonjour/webpages, you'll see the DVRs by their names.

-David

Last edited by Icarus : 08-28-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:39 AM   #18
tivaulo

I'm all out for giving the user control over their own network. Whatever reason tivo had for not allowing fixed ips (besides laziness) is not justifiable. If they were just being lazy I can understand... until the next software upgrade.
tivaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #19
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivaulo View Post
I'm all out for giving the user control over their own network. Whatever reason tivo had for not allowing fixed ips (besides laziness) is not justifiable. If they were just being lazy I can understand... until the next software upgrade.
Lazy and presumptuous.
It is highly unlikely we will be given the option later.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #20
socrplyr

DHCP is the standard and has worked well for a long time. If it doesn't then there is already something wrong with your network (bad device, two servers, etc.). As for letting you set your own IP addresses, that doesn't accomplish anything (unless you have something wrong with your network) nor does it provide any performance increase. Now that being said, if you want to truly manage your network you shouldn't be doing fixed IPs that way anyways. Buy a router with the capability to set the IPs for each of your devices.
From Tivo's standpoint fixed IPs are probably more headache for them to try to fix with support calls than it is worth. Go look at all your CE devices, how many of them let you set your IP address? Not many do. If you are worried about trying to have a consistent address to talk to your Tivo, then I suggest trying its hostname. For example, TIVO-65200018032xxxx takes me right to my TivoHD.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #21
SugarBowl

So there must be a switch inside the Pro/Plus? Does this explain the gigabit controller? Gigabit into the box, then 10/100 to Tivo and 10/100 to the Streamer?
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #22
jfh3

There is a bridge, not a switch.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #23
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
There is a bridge, not a switch.
There is a switch. A bridge changes from one media type to another. For example in the Premiere's the MoCA adapter is a bridge. It does not allow you to hook multiple devices up. Of course if there is a switch behind the bridge you could.
I haven't seen a hardware breakout, but I am going to guess that connected to the switch is the SoC for the DVR, the MoCA adapter, the external ethernet port, and the stream hardware. I am going to guess that the wifi is not a wifi bridge, but connected to the SoC via USB (I could be wrong though). I figure this, because the way the 4 tuner version's spec's are, it would make sense to have a bridge. Although, they could be using a second ethernet port instead. If they did, that could make the Roamio double as a wifi extender if they hooked it to the switch as well and allowed it to be in an AP mode. I bet they don't allow for routing of wifi traffic through the box though.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #24
Kolenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
I am going to guess that the wifi is not a wifi bridge, but connected to the SoC via USB (I could be wrong though). I figure this, because the way the 4 tuner version's spec's are, it would make sense to have a bridge. Although, they could be using a second ethernet port instead. If they did, that could make the Roamio double as a wifi extender if they hooked it to the switch as well and allowed it to be in an AP mode. I bet they don't allow for routing of wifi traffic through the box though.
I had to re-read this a couple times, and as I did, I started thinking that we are splitting hairs. Yes, in networking a bridge and switch are two different things. But they are more frequently getting embedded into the same SoC. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the TiVo is configured this way. 2 ethernet "ports" facing the Stream and the DVR portions. 1 ethernet port facing externally, and the SoC also controlling the Wifi bridge behavior.

While my knowledge is a bit rusty, I'd say that the MAC addresses are identical over Ethernet and Wifi lend some evidence to this.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #25
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
I had to re-read this a couple times, and as I did, I started thinking that we are splitting hairs. Yes, in networking a bridge and switch are two different things. But they are more frequently getting embedded into the same SoC. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the TiVo is configured this way. 2 ethernet "ports" facing the Stream and the DVR portions. 1 ethernet port facing externally, and the SoC also controlling the Wifi bridge behavior.

While my knowledge is a bit rusty, I'd say that the MAC addresses are identical over Ethernet and Wifi lend some evidence to this.
I missed that the MACs are the same for both wired and wireless. Yes that would definitely point to the WiFi being hooked to the switch. I guess that would also be necessary for the stream to get internet access as well. If anyone owns the 4-tuner model, I'd be interested to see if it is the same for them as well. I am not in the industry, but I do look at chips from time to time. However, I have never seen an integrated Wifi + switch done on the same silicon. It may exist though (or even be common for that matter).
Old 08-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #26
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
So there must be a switch inside the Pro/Plus? Does this explain the gigabit controller? Gigabit into the box, then 10/100 to Tivo and 10/100 to the Streamer?
Yes it would. The thing I haven't found is the specs on the BCM7425/29. I would have thought that by now they might have a gigabit interface themselves.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #27
Kolenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
I missed that the MACs are the same for both wired and wireless. Yes that would definitely point to the WiFi being hooked to the switch. I guess that would also be necessary for the stream to get internet access as well. If anyone owns the 4-tuner model, I'd be interested to see if it is the same for them as well. I am not in the industry, but I do look at chips from time to time. However, I have never seen an integrated Wifi + switch done on the same silicon. It may exist though (or even be common for that matter).
Hmm, I'm probably wrong on the level of integration going on it seems. Being in the cellular industry, there is a definite trend in combining multiple interfaces into the SoC or at least a single baseband chip. But we're pushing more miniaturization than the STB/Home Networking guys at the moment.

I'll agree and say the WiFi is probably just hooked up to a PHY interface for the switch, with a side channel for the main SoC for the TiVo itself to control the connection for the bridge.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #28
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

The main Roamio Ethernet and Stream Ethernet interfaces have similer but different Mac addresses, I assign static addresses to both using my router to handle the static addresses basiced on Mac address. As mentioned in another thread, one person had a problem were pytivo found the stream ip address first and they couldn't transfer recordings, I assign a lower numbered ip address to my main pro so that one, it always finds it first when pytivo dis overs the TiVos and so I always know the addresses of my TiVos.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #29
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
The main Roamio Ethernet and Stream Ethernet interfaces have similer but different Mac addresses, I assign static addresses to both using my router to handle the static addresses basiced on Mac address. As mentioned in another thread, one person had a problem were pytivo found the stream ip address first and they couldn't transfer recordings, I assign a lower numbered ip address to my main pro so that one, it always finds it first when pytivo dis overs the TiVos and so I always know the addresses of my TiVos.
If you don't assign a static Ip does the router always assign the higher Ip address to the internal Stream?
This has always been the case on my network. I don't bother assigning a static Ip address to any of my Tivos any more since switching out to more minis and since I also have not had any issues letting my router assign them. I can't use my Stream anyway since there is no android support.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #30
kdmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If you don't assign a static Ip does the router always assign the higher Ip address to the internal Stream?
It tends to, by coincidence, in most home networks with most consumer routers. It's not a behavior that can be relied upon, it just tends to work out that way.
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote