TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Ikrion

Force OTA on Roamio Plus/Pro?

I've been looking to get the base Roamio for OTA (of course watching the $49 OTA-only that is coming in September). My problem here is that the base model would require an extra $129 TiVo Stream unit to steam to mobile devices, and this feature is baked in (with additional recording capacity) in the Plus/Pro.

Additionally, the Plus/Pro has the option for cable access in the future.

I am going to assume the answer here is no, that the Plus/Pro cannot tune in ATSC, but is there a way to force it? Or is it a better idea to just get the base model, buy the Stream, commit to a lifetime of service fees, and an external HD to expand space?
Ikrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

What would I do?

Ignore the OTA TiVo and purchase the base Roamio with lifetime service. If I wanted stream, the option is available. If I wanted to expand to more TVs with a Mini, the option is available. If I ever wanted to subscribe to cable - the box is capable.

But you are correct - Pro / Plus cannot work OTA.

Space isn't an issue, expansion is an absolute snap - put a 3 TB drive in the TiVo and turn it on - the TiVo will format the larger drive and download the software! Done...

$200 for the TiVo and $500 for lifetime service (might be able find $100 service fee discount)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 08-30-2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Removed "basic", replace with "base Roamio"
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
$200 for the TiVo and $500 for lifetime service (might be able find $100 service fee discount)
Amazon is currently selling the box for $170, and useing the code "PLSR" when activating service will get you lifetime for $400.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Ikrion

As I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

At this point it just comes down to a cost/commitment decision. How long do I think I'll use the box before upgrading and whether the lifetime makes sense.

With no OTA on the Plus/Pro, that means I'll be in it for the Stream as well, so some additional hardware.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
bradleys
It'll be fine....

The lifetime Roamio will maintain a significant resale value as well. I just sold two S3 models for $200 each.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikrion View Post
At this point it just comes down to a cost/commitment decision. How long do I think I'll use the box before upgrading and whether the lifetime makes sense.
Just remember that a TiVo w/lifetime has a much higher resale value than one without.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikrion View Post
Or is it a better idea to just get the base model, buy the Stream, commit to a lifetime of service fees, and an external HD to expand space?
I think you might be confusing two different models here -- you can get lifetime service with the base Roamio, and it can be switched to cable later, if you choose (but it will only do one at a time of cable or OTA, unlike some earlier models). It's only the new "Roamio OTA" that's crippled, with no lifetime option (or Mini support).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
Ikrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I think you might be confusing two different models here -- you can get lifetime service with the base Roamio, and it can be switched to cable later, if you choose (but it will only do one at a time of cable or OTA, unlike some earlier models). It's only the new "Roamio OTA" that's crippled, with no lifetime option (or Mini support).
Good point. I should have differentiated better.

The base Roamio has the better flexibility with the cable option, and you can purchase the lifetime. What I meant here was the OTA Roamio for $49. I didn't realize the new OTA that's coming didn't support Mini. That might be enough right there to ensure a commitment for the $199 model for all users (as if there wasn't enough aversion already).
Old 08-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
the TiVo basic
Please stop saying that. That's not its name. It's officially just the "TiVo Roamio". We here on the forums have taken to calling it the "base Roamio" to distinguish it from the Roamio Plus and Roamio Pro. But that's "base", not "basic". Moreover, "TiVo Basic" is actually a thing, and it's a completely different thing from the base Roamio -- it's a level of free service that was offered back in the days of DVD combo units.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #10
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I stand humbly corrected...

I appreciate you pointing this out - it is funny how something like that can happen. We even have folks with Roamio Basic in their signature line.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 08-30-2014 at 09:48 PM.