TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
advocate2

Roamio HD upgrade and extended warranty.

I have several Premieres and I knew that upgrading the original hard drive would destroy the warranty. I went ahead anyway except on the XL4 where I purchased the extended warranty but spent $100 for the official WD expander.

Given the current Roamio sale, I dumped my one mini and upgraded to the Roamio S. I've already ordered the WD 3TB drive, but have time to puchase the extended warranty of $39. Given that I'm going to insert the new drive, does it make sense to buy the warranty or will it just be voided by the expansion on the Roamio?

advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
I have several Premieres and I knew that upgrading the original hard drive would destroy the warranty. I went ahead anyway except on the XL4 where I purchased the extended warranty but spent $100 for the official WD expander.

Given the current Roamio sale, I dumped my one mini and upgraded to the Roamio S. I've already ordered the WD 3TB drive, but have time to puchase the extended warranty of $39. Given that I'm going to insert the new drive, does it make sense to buy the warranty or will it just be voided by the expansion on the Roamio?
Seems like the recommended path is to keep the old drive handy and reinstall it if there is an issue requiring a return. But if you mention this to Tivo....expect to be denied on the claim.

fcfc2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
crxrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfc2 View Post
Seems like the recommended path is to keep the old drive handy and reinstall it if there is an issue requiring a return. But if you mention this to Tivo....expect to be denied on the claim.
This. I had a problem w/ my Roamio recently and did just this. It was no problem at all.

crxrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
convergent

Quote:
Is there any history here of anyone ever being denied a claim that upgraded their hard drive?

1 x Tivo HD with DVR Expander (retired)
2 x Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner (retired)
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
Is there any history here of anyone ever being denied a claim that upgraded their hard drive?
Only the clever folk who mentioned the upgrade to Tivo or perhaps sent back the Tivo with upgraded drive installed.

fcfc2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
jrtroo
User

"anyone ever" is a pretty high benchmark.

I believe there have been stories, but not for one where the original drive was put back in first.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #7
Mikeguy

It seems to have occurred, when I had looked through comments a few months ago, where the user somehow had flagged the hard drive upgrade for TiVo. Otherwise, and even when TiVo might have itself become aware of the matter (and, as has been explained here, TiVo seemingly can ascertain the matter by looking at the box's electronic records history, should it be inclined to do so), TiVo has seemed to look the other way. Of course, as always, YMMV.

Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
Quote:
Only the clever folk who mentioned the upgrade to Tivo or perhaps sent back the Tivo with upgraded drive installed.
I have with a launch TiVo HD. But that was also back in 2007. I never mentioned to TiVo that the hard drive was replaced. They told me that the info they had showed that the drive had been changed.

Once the hard drive is replaced and the TiVo connects, the log info is at least there that shows them the hard drive has more storage. It might show other info too. But the bottom line is they know when the hard drive has been replaced.

They denied support to trouble shoot an audio issue that occurred on analog stations because they could see that I had upgraded the hard drive.. I ended up putting the stock hard drive back in and exchanging it at Circuit City. Two replacement boxes had the same issue. It was a TiVo problem that affected all of the TiVo HDs at the time. A month later I switched to FIOS so I had no more analog stations to mess with. So it wasn't an issue for me any more.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #9
Mikeguy

Sorry to hear about this. Fortunately, seems more rare than common.

Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #10
gespears

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
They denied support to trouble shoot an audio issue that occurred on analog stations because they could see that I had upgraded the hard drive.. I ended up putting the stock hard drive back in and exchanging it at Circuit City. Two replacement boxes had the same issue. It was a TiVo problem that affected all of the TiVo HDs at the time. A month later I switched to FIOS so I had no more analog stations to mess with. So it wasn't an issue for me any more.
Sounds like there was a problem TiVo knew was there and couldn't fix so they took the easy way out.

gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gespears View Post

Sounds like there was a problem TiVo knew was there and couldn't fix so they took the easy way out.
The upper level tech support had no clue what the difference was between mono and stereo. The analog station would send audio in two channels but it was just the same signal pumped into each speaker. It wasn't sending discrete audio in each channel like it should have been. But they kept telling me that since audio was coming from both speakers that it was stereo audio. Of course my S3(OLED) TiVos did not behave this way. They properly sent out a signal with discrete audio in each channel. But the upper level techs seemed to have no clue what the difference was.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote