TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
paul harris

comcast cable not working with a series 3

I don't have a cable box and when I plug my cable line into my digital TV it scans for 10minutes and gets a few basic shows. ( which is really all I need)

When I plug the cable coax into the series 3 it doesn't find anything when it scans. I've tries putting it in the cable input and the antenna input.

Any suggestions?
paul harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Forget about the antenna input ---- not for cable TV

I assume you're trying to receive digital cable, correct? If so you need a CableCARD inserted in your Tivo. And properly installed per Comcast's self-install phone number or website (whatever they use)? You also need to do guided setup sooner or later.

What is your Tivo's model number? Series 3 covers three different models and they differ with regard to CableCARD requirements.

If all this is new to you, you might benefit from visiting tivo.com support and looking at their CableCARD install instructions, and also your local Comcast web site.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
paul harris

Thanks for the reply.

I think I will just stick to the antenna/TiVo combo. I just thought since the TV could use the digital cable via coax that the TiVo should be able to also.

Back to the antenna I guess.... sigh.....
Old 08-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul harris View Post
I don't have a cable box and when I plug my cable line into my digital TV it scans for 10minutes and gets a few basic shows. ( which is really all I need)

When I plug the cable coax into the series 3 it doesn't find anything when it scans. I've tries putting it in the cable input and the antenna input.

Any suggestions?
When you attached the cable to the cable-in of the TiVo, did you re-run guided setup to tell it that you have Antenna & Cable prior to the scan? If you do that, a cable scan should find analog (if any) and"clear QAM"(digital) channels, the same ones your TV sees. However, you will get no guide data for the digital channels.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
Soapm

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I think I will just stick to the antenna/TiVo combo. I just thought since the TV could use the digital cable via coax that the TiVo should be able to also.

Back to the antenna I guess.... sigh.....
Don't the TV have a cable card? Comcast in my area provides one free per device.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Don't the TV have a cable card? Comcast in my area provides one free per device.
Sounds as though he is not actually paying for Cable TV and maybe has access to the clear QAM channels, possibly due to having cable internet.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
paul harris

Yeah I just have cable internet....... If I cant get channels from the cable line Im ok with that.It just seems odd the TV is smart enough to "see" some channels but Tivo isnt.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yeah I just have cable internet....... If I cant get channels from the cable line Im ok with that.It just seems odd the TV is smart enough to "see" some channels but Tivo isnt.
The TiVo would be able to "see" them fine if you reran guided setup as I suggested. You just can't get guide data for them.