TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #31
Big Boy Laroux

I'm using a mini right now, hooked to a roamio pro.

I can see the to-do list (and cancel recordings). You have to hit 2 on the remote when on the main TiVo screen.

I can also view/edit priority/set up/cancel season passes. You have to hit 1 on the remote when on the main TiVo screen.

Not sure why they aren't in the menu, but they work great from the shortcuts.

No wishlists, though. You're right about that (unless I'm missing something)
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #32
Dan203
Super Moderator

Hehe, someone must have removed then menu items but forgot to disable the shortcuts. Good find.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #33
MScottC

^^^^^Agreed
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #34
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Hehe, someone must have removed then menu items but forgot to disable the shortcuts. Good find.
Shhhhhhhh, TiVoMargret's hangin' around these parts!
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #35
Big Boy Laroux

So they used to be in the menu items? (This is my first mini)

Seems like no brainer functionality and it better not be removed completely. You should be able to control recordings from your minis.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #36
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob61 View Post
If you think $5/month is crazy, go to Comcast where I pay $9.95 per outlet. They do give a $2.50 credit back since I don't use their cable box, so $7.45 for a cable card essentially. I'm decided to get off the Comcast nickel and dime wagon and replacing my current set-up of 1 Comcast box and 3 Tivo Premiere's with lifetime and going with 1 Roamie Plus and 3 Tivo mini's (all with lifetime). I'll then be able to eliminate my Comcast additional outlet charges entirely as I'll have just one "outlet" being used with my new set-up. Comcast can go suck-it!
Well at least you get the first one free. I have 2 cable cards now but after I move to Roamio and a Mini I will still have to pay Verizon $5 a month for a cable card. Just wish I could just buy one from them.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #37
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
So they used to be in the menu items? (This is my first mini)

Seems like no brainer functionality and it better not be removed completely. You should be able to control recordings from your minis.
They've never officially been in the menus. When the Mini was first released there was sort of a screw up and some BestBuys sold them early. At the time there was no way to actually buy service to a Mini so a couple of guys set them up as if they were TiVos instead. During this period those guys had the To Do List and SPM on their menus. As soon as the official release happened and those guys' service got switched over to a real Mini service plan the menu item went away. So apparently it's some setting at the TiVo head end that's turning them off. I'm pretty sure back then people tried the shortcuts and they didn't work, so this may be a "bug" in the new software they released to coincide with the Roamio launch.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #38
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
Yes.

What is it that people don't understand about the Mini not having storage?
The mini is an extension of the TiVo its connected to. It should use the storage on that TiVo. Really there is no reason the mini cannot do everything a real TiVo can. It should. The fact that the mini's feature set is incomplete is why I will continue to use a Premiere on remote sets rather than bothering with a mini for a small savings.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #39
aaronwt
HD Addict

I never knew about those shortcuts. Those will come in handy.

Thanks Big Boy Laroux!

EDIT: Crap!! I just used the shortcut and checked the To Do List from this Mini. I already have a conflict coming up Tuesday night on my Roamio Pro and the new TV season hasn't even started yet. I guess I need to go through my season passes again and trim some more of the fat.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-02-2013 at 05:15 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #40
Big Boy Laroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I never knew about those shortcuts. Those will come in handy.

Thanks Big Boy Laroux!

EDIT: Crap!! I just used the shortcut and checked the To Do List from this Mini. I already have a conflict coming up Tuesday night on my Roamio Pro and the new TV season hasn't even started yet. I guess I need to go through my season pass again and trim some more of the fat.
6 tuners and already a conflict? bummer!!

No problem on the shortcuts. those have been around a while, i use them religiously so just used them by nature on the mini. I didn't even notice the menu options weren't there until i saw this thread!
Old 09-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #41
Dan203
Super Moderator

How can you have a conflict? There are only 6 broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW and MyTV) and everything on cable is repeated over and over. The only time I've seen a conflict on my 4 tuner is when I started padding everything and then turned off clipping.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #42
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
How can you have a conflict? There are only 6 broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW and MyTV) and everything on cable is repeated over and over. The only time I've seen a conflict on my 4 tuner is when I started padding everything and then turned off clipping.
No padding, but I do have a bunch of SPs for a couple of channels that show some old TV shows and I have a bunch of SPs for news programs as well.

I need to push all the recurring news shows down to the bottom of my SP list and I should be fine. Most of what I record I will never watch anyway but I need to make sure the stuff I will definitely watch is higher up on the list. I had gone through it the other day but I must have missed some shows that should have been closer to the bottom of the SP list.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #43
Dan203
Super Moderator

I just put all my network stuff at the top and don't worry about anything else. Everything on cable repeats ad nauseum so I pick it up eventually.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #44
martyscholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
The mini is an extension of the TiVo its connected to. It should use the storage on that TiVo. Really there is no reason the mini cannot do everything a real TiVo can. It should. The fact that the mini's feature set is incomplete is why I will continue to use a Premiere on remote sets rather than bothering with a mini for a small savings.
I agree completely. When my son first saw one, he nailed it: Dad, it's a thin client for a TiVo! Just like a computer thin client moves the keyboard, mouse and monitor away from the device and creates the illusion of the device being local, the Mini does the same thing for a TiVo.

The truth is, there is no reason anyone should be required to be on-the-console of the main TiVo. The functionality should be so that the main TiVo could be locked in a closet where all users can do everything they need from the Minis.

Last edited by martyscholes : 09-03-2013 at 08:38 AM. Reason: removed redundant "creates"
martyscholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #45
markwill

Not sure if someone mentioned this in this thread somewhere but, for the record, I have XFinity On Demand on my Roamio but the Mini connecting to it doesn't show On Demand as an option in any of the menus. That's a bummer.

Expected?
markwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #46
Dan203
Super Moderator

XFinity requires the use of a tuner. The requests all go out over the internet but the actual video stream comes in via a standard VOD channel. I'm not sure if they've worked out how to do that and stream over the network to a Mini yet.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #47
markwill

Quote:
XFinity requires the use of a tuner. The requests all go out over the internet but the actual video stream comes in via a standard VOD channel. I'm not sure if they've worked out how to do that and stream over the network to a Mini yet.
Thanks Dan. Yes, I am aware that VOD ties a channel but after that channel assignment has been determined my (obviously foolish ) assumption was that it would logically just be like streaming a live channel to the Mini.

I hope that they can implement this eventually.

Thanks.

Mark
markwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #48
Dan203
Super Moderator

I agree it seems like it should work, but maybe it's harder then we think or maybe there is some legal issue with streaming VOD content? Or maybe TiVo just hasn't gotten around to doing it yet.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #49
Rose4uKY

Ok just to double check what I've been reading here.. We just got our Roamio hooked up and were returning our 3 week old Premiere. We have 2 minis. So the Roamio you have 6 tuners and there's no option to set 1 or 2 tuners for the minis right? We had our premiere set to 1. But this Dynamic Tuner Allocation means if no one is watching live TV on the Mini's then like when were not home it can record up to 6 shows correct? And if were home and watching one or two of the mini's with live TV than we can only record 4 or 5 right shows? We hardly ever watch Live TV and if so it would only be one mini anyway not two but were always watching recorded shows.

Actually we just tested it and turned on Live TV and it showed on the Roamio in use. Were really liking this thing and it's fast. We went from Series 3's to the Premiere 3 weeks ago so didn't have the Premiere long but to us it was great compared to our Series 3's. But now that we have the Roamio it's even better.. 1st Roamio we got didn't work so tomorrow it goes back and our Premiere goes back.. I had to pay for Roamio and won't get refunded for the Premiere for a week or two after they get it I was told.

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #50
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yep, that's how it works. And if you're watching Live TV on the Mini and the Roamio needs the tuner it will prompt the Mini user and ask if it's OK to take the tuner back.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #51
zundian

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyscholes View Post
I can say that neither pyTivo nor Streambaby work on the Mini, which is rather disappointing. When my son wants to watch a show stored on our media server, he has to get up, go into the living room, ask if he can interrupt what is on the main TV, go to pyTivo and start the push. Then he goes back to his room and starts watching.

It would be so much nicer if he could start a push from the Mini.
Couldn't he just start a push from the computer pyTivo is running on? I do that all the time when my wife is watching something in the living room.
zundian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #52
martyscholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zundian View Post
Couldn't he just start a push from the computer pyTivo is running on? I do that all the time when my wife is watching something in the living room.
Thanks for the suggestion. We have never interacted with pyTivo directly. What is the interface? How do we do that?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #53
tlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyscholes View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. We have never interacted with pyTivo directly. What is the interface? How do we do that?
http://your_pytivo_machine:9032/
Old 09-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #54
martyscholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Saw that, thanks. Our pyTivo is not currently configured to push (I guess I meant "pull" in my previous post). I am a little concerned about allowing web admin to everyone, so I will need to figure out how to disable web admin.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #55
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

Quote:
They've never officially been in the menus. When the Mini was first released there was sort of a screw up and some BestBuys sold them early. At the time there was no way to actually buy service to a Mini so a couple of guys set them up as if they were TiVos instead. During this period those guys had the To Do List and SPM on their menus. As soon as the official release happened and those guys' service got switched over to a real Mini service plan the menu item went away. So apparently it's some setting at the TiVo head end that's turning them off. I'm pretty sure back then people tried the shortcuts and they didn't work, so this may be a "bug" in the new software they released to coincide with the Roamio launch.
According to this video you should be able to manage recordings and SPs from the mini:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8JRf5hyRuI
Smirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #56
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirks View Post
According to this video you should be able to manage recordings and SPs from the mini:

TiVo® Mini: Share TiVo With Another TV
You need to upgrade your Flash Player
The only thing i saw in that video was creating a Season Pass. Which is different from managing the Season Passes.

But with the shortcut from the keypad someone mentioned, managing the SPs is not an issue on the Mini. And hopefully TiVo does not remove those shortcuts.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #57
Rose4uKY

Thanks! Now if the remote would only work my surround systems volume and mute. There's only 3 Samsung codes and it doesn't work. Never worked on my old Series 3's neither.

Quote:
Yep, that's how it works. And if you're watching Live TV on the Mini and the Roamio needs the tuner it will prompt the Mini user and ask if it's OK to take the tuner back.

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #58
Dan203
Super Moderator

I had that problem with an old off brand TV. What I did was a found a book for another universal remote online and found the codes for my brand of TV that brand. I then cross referenced those codes and found other manufacturers in the book that used the same codes. Then on the TiVo I tried all the codes for those other manufacturers. One of them ended up working.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #59
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwill View Post
Not sure if someone mentioned this in this thread somewhere but, for the record, I have XFinity On Demand on my Roamio but the Mini connecting to it doesn't show On Demand as an option in any of the menus. That's a bummer.

Expected?
This guys says Xfinity works on his Mini...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...26#post9799726

So maybe you need to call TiVo and have them flip a bit somewhere?
Old 09-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #60
Rose4uKY

Hmm I'll have to try that cause it would be great if it worked and I could leave my surround sound on all the time. But what about this the P4 that were returning it had a learning remote and the Tivo tech today said I could buy a learning remote on there website for like 30 bucks well all I saw on there website was a 29.99 remote but it didn't mention learning but the P4 Glo Remote said learning remote under the specs but it was 49.99. Will my mini remote work does it have Learning? Maybe the 29.99 one on there website is learning and the specs just don't mention it but the P4 Glo Remote says it in the specs. If my mini remote does learning I'll use it out front with my Roamio also casue I have 2 Roamio remotes so maybe one can work back here with the mini and can swap remotes. My boyfriend thinks the mini remotes are learning also guess I'll find out.

Also were not getting any suggestions I think I read it takes a day or two for Tivo to pick up on everything.. Our P4 started picking up suggestions right away.. But there are several shows we have 2 thumbs up and no suggestions.

Quote:
I had that problem with an old off brand TV. What I did was a found a book for another universal remote online and found the codes for my brand of TV that brand. I then cross referenced those codes and found other manufacturers in the book that used the same codes. Then on the TiVo I tried all the codes for those other manufacturers. One of them ended up working.

Last edited by Rose4uKY : 09-05-2013 at 12:38 AM.