TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
boslamr

Should exchange my Tivo Premier for a Roamio s/plus?

I finally broke down and bought a Tivo Premier (basic) from best buy at the beginning of the month when they were marked down to $99. Now I see the Roamio for $199 and the plus for $399 (pricey).

I'm wondering if I should take it back and get the roamio now. How hard is it to switch my account to the new box? What about moving the recordings? I like the streaming capabilities but not sure how often I would use it. But If I only needed one box it would be kind of handy. Any suggestions?
boslamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
GeePea

Aren't you outside the return period for the Tivo (15 days) with BestBuy? You may be able to get Bestbuy to swap for a Roamio but YMMV.

As you're within the 30 days for the money back guarantee for service, it's simple just to cancel the service by calling Tivo. When you buy a new box again, you'll added it to your account just like you did for the Premiere.

If it was me, I'd get a Roamio. Just based on current feedback, you'll get a much better user experience than with the Premiere. I'm planning to replace my Premiere XL in next few week once they're more ready available.

Do you plan to use the stream functionality? If you stick with the Premiere, you'll have to add a Tivo stream.
GeePea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
innocentfreak

I definitely would if they will let you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
boslamr

I'm a silvery premier customer I thought it was 45 days. I will have to check on that.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
innocentfreak

Yeah Silver should be 45, not sure if it is the same with electronics though.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
series5orpremier

Depends how you receive your TV channels. If you're an all digital cable or all over-the-air customer then get a Roamio. If you have any analog cable channels you want to use on the TiVo then keep the Premiere.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
boslamr

I would just buy the second one but I don't really want to pay another $13/mo. But after I looked at my cable bill. I didn't really save much by switching to tivo ($5)O.

Last edited by boslamr : 08-28-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
Depends how you receive your TV channels. If you're an all digital cable or all over-the-air customer then get a Roamio. If you have any analog cable channels you want to use on the TiVo then keep the Premiere.
This should be a major consideration. If your cable company still has any analog channels then the 2 tuner Premiere is your only option. The Roamio units are digital only so they can not tune analog stations at all.

This is what's preventing me from recommending a Roamio to my Sister. We still have about 30 analog only stations here. Until we go all digital I'm recommending she stick with her HDs.

However I'm a little more advanced so I have both a 2 tuner Premiere and an 6 tuner Roamio Pro on the way. (replacing a 4 tuner Elite) I'm just careful to setup all my analog recordings on the Premiere and use the Roamio for everything else. However maintaining two TiVos worth of recordings is kind of a PITA so I would really like for my cable company to go all digital so I can get rid of the Premiere.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
series5orpremier

If the Series 5 wasn't coming out I was on the verge of getting a 2nd Premiere anyway for the additional tuners to alleviate conflicts (didn't want to mess with repairing my unsubscribed TiVo HD). I also have about 35 analog cable channels but no digital other than OTA, so will gladly keep the Premiere to complement the base Roamio.

Last edited by series5orpremier : 08-28-2013 at 07:15 PM.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote