TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
nickels
opinionated dope

Under the Dome - Let the Games Begin - OAD 8-26-13

So now there is an underground fight club in Chester's Mill? The writers are really trying hard to take something interesting and make it ridiculous. I really want to see how this plays out, but the direction some of the plots are going makes me wonder if this isn't just wasting my time?

But hey, at least the pink stars fell in line.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
gweempose

This was possibly the stupidest episode yet. So you're telling me that you can just waltz into the bank, and all the money would still be lying there in the teller drawers?
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I'm not watching this anymore...and given how few threads and posts in said threads, I'm not the only one who bailed on this piece of schtako...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Barmat

I'm to believe there are that many buff degenerates wearing wife beaters in some small midwestern town. Also every one seems ok with being trapped under an invisible dome of unknown origin, ie no one is actively trying to get out except 3 kids. And here I was thinking Revolution was bad writing personified.
Barmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
GoPackGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmat View Post
I'm to believe there are that many buff degenerates wearing wife beaters in some small midwestern town. Also every one seems ok with being trapped under an invisible dome of unknown origin, ie no one is actively trying to get out except 3 kids. And here I was thinking Revolution was bad writing personified.
Not that it matters, but isn't this the Maine area, like most of King's other books?

Back to the episode, a coworker and I are watching this. Each Tuesday morning we talk about just how asinine the previous episode was, but for some reason we're still watching.

Cut out the stupid fight club filler and this could have been a 10 minute episode. We all knew that Junior would be the 4th hand, why did it have to take 45 minutes to get to that? So stupid.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Barmat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
Not that it matters, but isn't this the Maine area, like most of King's other books?
I stand corrected.

A few thoughts.

Is the new woman real?

Will Barbara start making soap?

Last edited by Barmat : 08-27-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Barmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
BradJW

This episode was beyond stupid, but it had a couple of saving graces.

I guess, like has been mentioned, after 9 days now, everyone has completely given up hope of ever getting out of the dome. No one has any need for money ever again.

It was nice that Barbie and Big Jim seem to have some sort of back-bone to work against Maxine - Barbie by telling Red that he killed her husband and Big Jim by killing her mom. Now if they can just kill maxine, we can get on with the dome.

Still what a horrible, awful episode. We always complained when it seemed like people on Lost failed to talk to each other but here we have these kids specifically hiding information.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
andyw715

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post

Barbie by telling Red that he killed her husband and Big Jim by killing her mom.
Is she dead? She was yelling "help" last time I saw her.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
BradJW

I hope so. Otherwise the entire episode was a big bag of suck.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
andyw715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmat View Post
This is filmed in Wilmington, and much of it is filmed in Burgaw NC.

Under The Dome is based off of what would actually happen if a dome covered Burgaw. An almost true story.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Wow, I guess it has been a long time since the Brat Pack.

Big Jim is a cold-assed mo-fo.

Not to pick nits, but the lines (dots) in the egg were pink, and they were rising. The stars in the 3D map were actually different pastel shades. And rotating.

Maybe the Engineers are coming to finish us off.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

They need a new writer for the dialogue. There are times it makes the rest of the show look worthy of a pulitzer prize for fiction by comparison.

The "make humans fight" plot is such a recycled and over-used trope that I found great enjoyment in watching those scenes just to see how much worse they could do it than every other show ever.

Angie has so far had one reasonable outfit on the entire series, and then she was back to tattered, ill-fitting clothing shortly thereafter. Maybe her wardrobe is a clue that she really IS sick.

I like the idea that in this modern age someone would think that Max would stand the slightest chance of keeping ALL drugs out of the town, no matter who was trying to bring them in.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
nickels
opinionated dope

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
TV rule of thumb: If you didn't see them die, they aren't dead.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
Ment

I'm just watching until Sheriff Linda takes her belt and uniform off. Until then Max will perk up the eyes.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
TV rule of thumb: If you didn't see them die, they aren't dead.
And, even then. (especially on a soap).

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #16
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post

I'm just watching until Sheriff Linda takes her belt and uniform off.
It's amazing that's she's hiding such a rockin' bod underneath that uniform. Every scene she's in now, I can't stop thinking about it.
(3) Minis

Old 08-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
This episode was beyond stupid, but it had a couple of saving graces.

I guess, like has been mentioned, after 9 days now, everyone has completely given up hope of ever getting out of the dome. No one has any need for money ever again.

It was nice that Barbie and Big Jim seem to have some sort of back-bone to work against Maxine - Barbie by telling Red that he killed her husband and Big Jim by killing her mom. Now if they can just kill maxine, we can get on with the dome.

Still what a horrible, awful episode. We always complained when it seemed like people on Lost failed to talk to each other but here we have these kids specifically hiding information.
Big Jim didn't kill her mom. He left her in the water with her hands tied. I don't recall them showing her drown. Until a body shows up, I would think she is still alive. And if she does show up again, I don't think she will have a problem pulling the trigger this time.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #18
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Big Jim didn't kill her mom. He left her in the water with her hands tied. I don't recall them showing her drown. Until a body shows up, I would think she is still alive. And if she does show up again, I don't think she will have a problem pulling the trigger this time.
This moment was supposed to be (Breaking Bad comparison)

Spoiler:
A Walt/Jane moment. Big Jim is the Heisenberg of Under The Dome. He just made a decision not to save Mare Winningham. It's supposed to be shocking. (For me, it paled in comparison to Walt/Jane - not even in the same league).

The value of the moment is lost if Mare Winningham survives it. She's dead and won't be heard from again. Maybe her body will wash ashore, maybe Big Jim will see a dome projection of her, maybe we'll see her in flashbacks, but I don't think we'll see more of her alive in the present.

ETA: unless the writing is so bad that the writers undermine the point of the scene, in which case they will, after all, bring her back.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #19
Numb And Number2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
She's dead and won't be heard from again.
I've said it before and I'm saying it now, resurrection day is nigh.
Numb And Number2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #20
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post

The value of the moment is lost if Mare Winningham survives it ...
OMG, I had no idea that was Mare Winningham! She's really gotten old.
(3) Minis

Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #21
awsnyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
The "make humans fight" plot is such a recycled and over-used trope that I found great enjoyment in watching those scenes just to see how much worse they could do it than every other show ever.
I hated that trope the first time I ever saw it decades ago, and thought it was stupid then. Admittedly, there have been a few series where the coming attractions have prepared me for yet another expected slog, but it's turned out better than I thought it would: ST:TNG, or maybe DSN (or maybe both!), and maybe the remake of BSG had an episode like that.

This episode's use of the trope was by far the dumbest, most sloggiest ever. I picked up a magazine to read during those scenes; their utter stupidity was making me see red.

The rest of the ep was OK, although the big reveal about the little dome was hardly earth-shattering. Ooh, it can project stars too. I have something in my toddler's room that can do that, and it doesn't require four annoying people to be touching it.
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #22
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
Quote:
It was certainly implied that she died but yes, the writers could bring her back in a very cheap stunt that defies rational thought.

I did throw (soft) things at my tv when Junior was shown to be the fourth hand.
Couldn't they use anybody (and I mean anybody) else?

As for the rest of the episode, Welcome to the Thunderdome.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #23
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
It was certainly implied that she died but yes, the writers could bring her back in a very cheap stunt that defies rational thought.
In order to defy rational thought, doesn't rational thought have to be within defying range?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #24
DeDondeEs

Ugh it is getting stupider and stupider. I just fast forwarded through the predictable cement factory fight club stuff. A week later and all of the dead fish in the lake have gone away.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #25
moose53

Yeah. I agree. I was thinking all night (only three more episodes ...). But, they renewed it for another year, didn't they. It's going off my season pass list as soon as this season is over. This would have been perfect as one season ... 8 to 13 episodes. Now, it just feels like they're reaching to find a storyline. Not very competently, at that.

And they keep having contact with Junior "Crazy Guy". I want to take a cab there and off him myself.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #26
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
As for the rest of the episode, Welcome to the Thunderdome.
Thunderdumb.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #27
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Yeah, this was about the stupidest episode of the bunch and it's starting to lose that "entertaining" component that I felt at least the other episodes had. This was practically unwatchable. To think someone who was in hiding for a the first part of "the dome" can organize a fight club like that in 9 days is laughable. Second, I saw no reason why Barbie had to fight. Just call her bluff and see what she does. And if he did fight and then decide to throw the match, why go through all that punishment? Take a few hits and go down. That's the end. It seemed he got beat up for no good reason.

We all knew Junior was going to be the 4th hand. In this world, it was an easy guess. At this point I'm just sticking around to see what happens with the small dome and the egg. Otherwise, the rest of the stuff is stupid and not worth my time.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #28
danterner
Not it!

The best part was when Junior got a-salted trying to get into the fight club.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #29
aaronwt
HD Addict

He wasn't so crazy on this episode. He seemed mostly normal.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #30
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
He wasn't so crazy on this episode. He seemed mostly normal.
I think they are trying to say his "crazy" is related to the dome/egg thing.