TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
jammer415

Upgrade to Roamio from S3 question

My 7 year old S3 appears to have died (stuck on 'Welcome! Powering Up...' forever) so I am planning on upgrading to Roamio. One question - will the cable card currently in my S3 work in the Roamio? Its a motorola, but probably about 5 years old. I'm trying to involve Comcast in this upgrade as little as possible.

jammer415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
shrike4242

Depends on the firmware version on the card, as you need a certain version to be at before the 5th and 6th tuners work.

It's been discussed at extended length in here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507973

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL (one dead, one gifted, one w/Lifetime)
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
jammer415

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
Depends on the firmware version on the card, as you need a certain version to be at before the 5th and 6th tuners work.

It's been discussed at extended length in here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507973

Thank you. I found that thread (or something similar) when I was searching around before posting but found it to be really confusing so I was hoping somebody might have a more definitive answer. If not I'll just have to use trial and error.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer415 View Post
My 7 year old S3 appears to have died (stuck on 'Welcome! Powering Up...' forever) so I am planning on upgrading to Roamio. One question - will the cable card currently in my S3 work in the Roamio? Its a motorola, but probably about 5 years old. I'm trying to involve Comcast in this upgrade as little as possible.
Two things. First, it might be worth trying a new hard drive in that S3. I did when my S3 was about 5 years old and it fixed the issue, increased the drive space, and it's still working today... going on close to 7 or 8 years, i think. If you can save it, and then call TiVo to cancel the service and maybe get a cheap lifetime offer on it, it's worth selling. Especially if it's the S3 with the THX certification (as mine is).

When i got my S3, they did not give me M cards. I have two old S cards. If you have S cards, you will need new cards. Since you have to return one of your two cards anyways, I would recommend just asking for a new card to be on the safe side.

Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
abbydancer

I have an S3 as well, and just ordered the Roamio. As others have said, it has two old S cards. My HD has a old M card, but I went to my local comcast office and picked up a new M card, which is waiting for the Roamio.

Note that in my case, the M card stopped working with premium cable channels after some sort of reset on the HD box (stuck on powering up, set it out for repairs, came back working but with all programs gone).

So new card for me.

abbydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
shrike4242

Quote:
Thank you. I found that thread (or something similar) when I was searching around before posting but found it to be really confusing so I was hoping somebody might have a more definitive answer. If not I'll just have to use trial and error.
Short answer would be to try what you have and see what happens. You may have to limit it to 4 tuners until the FW issues get worked out.

Long answer might be that you'll need to get a firmware update on your card, which some on the end part of the thread I linked had good luck in managing to get done with talking to Comcast.

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL (one dead, one gifted, one w/Lifetime)
Old 01-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
jammer415

Everyone, thank you for the advice!

I believe I have the motorola s card so it probably wont work in the roamio but I will try it tonight anyway. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to exchange the s cards for an m card at the comcast service center and get it set up without requiring a truck roll. Based on my experience when I got the S3 I'm expecting the service center wont know what I am talking about or wont have any m cards, but no harm in trying as the center is very close to where I work.

Again - thanks!

Old 01-29-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
shrike4242

Quote:
Everyone, thank you for the advice!

I believe I have the motorola s card so it probably wont work in the roamio but I will try it tonight anyway. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to exchange the s cards for an m card at the comcast service center and get it set up without requiring a truck roll. Based on my experience when I got the S3 I'm expecting the service center wont know what I am talking about or wont have any m cards, but no harm in trying as the center is very close to where I work.

Again - thanks!
If it's an S-card, then yes, you need to swap that as the S-card won't work in a Roamio.

Former: