TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
brianric

Under the Dome - The Fourth Hand - OAD 8-19-13

I keep saying to myself each week the writing can't get any worse, only to be proven wrong. Please tell me how in the world will people get their weapons back that they voluntary turn in with no registration of weapons turned in, just put them in this pile over here, no receipt. I realize that certain things you have to accept in a show, like the dome, but when every facet of every day life is turned upside down, it's time to delete the SP.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
astrohip
Stuart F

My wife has never seen an episode. She was only watching because we'd been watching something else (BBQ Pitmasters! booyah!) and when it ended and I put on Under The Dumb, she was too lazy to get up and move.

When they started the turn in your guns conversation, she said, "no way anyone would turn in a gun in that situation; heck, I'd probably start carrying mine". I told her to just wait and watch... knowing the dumbness was just around the corner.

And they didn't disappoint.

Actually, it wasn't as terrible an episode as some have been, but the turn in your gun part was ridiculous.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg o8rez.jpg (54.2 KB, 442 views)
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
moose53

I agree ... the writing is getting worse every week ... it's like they sit down after dinner and say what shall we write this week. There's no continuity in the storyline. They bring in people that don't even seem to fit ... like that woman -- who the heck is she??

But, I was thinking the same thing about the guns ... how the heck are they going to return them?? I saw a man standing off to the side writing "something" down (I'm assuming it's probably the name of the owner and a description of the gun/weapon).

This would have been perfect as an 8- or a 10-week story ... a summer fill-in. Now they're trying to turn it into a long-term storyline ... they're ruining it.

And, that da*m "Junior," I wish somebody would take one of those weapons and eliminate him. G-d what a PIA.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 AM   #4
Numb And Number2

"So, there goes that theory."

It's as if we, the viewers, were expected to be electric with speculation regarding Angie and the monarch. Flame wars all over the place. Then the show is so cool that it addresses the national buzz in a near breaking of the fourth wall.

This show gets it, man!!
Numb And Number2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
SleepyBob

So, is #4 going to be crazy Junior, or paranoid HAM Radio gal?
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
So, is #4 going to be crazy Junior, or paranoid HAM Radio gal?
Perhaps it's the drug boss lady who magically appeared this week and is now a major character.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
gweempose

The show is absolutely terrible, and yet I can't turn away ...
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
Azlen

Natalie Zea seems to be attracted to really dumb shows lately.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Well, apparently the dome is a sphere, if Lil' Dome is any indication. How did that scrawny little kid carry that big honking thing with all the dirt in it? Does he have an anti-grav device in his closet?

These farmers have some pretty impressive guns. Like the sniper rifle with laser sights that Barbie had. What was the original owner using it for? Hunting squirrels?

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Natalie Zea seems to be attracted to really dumb shows lately.
Well, she has a lot of Justified to compensate for...
Old 08-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
When they started the turn in your guns conversation, she said, "no way anyone would turn in a gun in that situation; heck, I'd probably start carrying mine".
in a surprisingly watchable episode (honest, no ffwd this week!), the gun scenario was unbelievable.

i kept waiting for someone to crash a truck into a sporting goods store, and next the whole town starts shooting everyone in sight (until it starts raining).

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
JYoung
Series 3

I was amused by the fact that Linda defended the Second Amendment but had no problem violating the Fourth Amendment.

If Junior is the fourth hand, I may throw things at the TV
(Ok, soft things.)

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I was amused by the fact that Linda defended the Second Amendment but had no problem violating the Fourth Amendment.

If Junior is the fourth hand, I may throw things at the TV
(Ok, soft things.)
It's got to be Junior - right? After all, he was in the painting with the pink stars.

And I don't get the idea that Linda knows what the Fourth Amendment (or any of the others) is. It didn't sound like she was a very good student.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #14
loubob57
Running Fool

TC CLUB MEMBER
Did I miss where they got a power plant up and running?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #15
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
I keep saying to myself each week the writing can't get any worse, only to be proven wrong. Please tell me how in the world will people get their weapons back that they voluntary turn in with no registration of weapons turned in, just put them in this pile over here, no receipt. I realize that certain things you have to accept in a show, like the dome, but when every facet of every day life is turned upside down, it's time to delete the SP.
Did you watch True Blood this week? There was a scene where

Spoiler:
Sam asked the people of the town to voluntarily enter into a monogamous "feeding relationship" with a healthy and hungry vampire. And they did.

That was about as believable as the pile-o-weapons scenario.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #16
squint

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
These farmers have some pretty impressive guns. Like the sniper rifle with laser sights that Barbie had. What was the original owner using it for? Hunting squirrels?
Cats.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #17
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
Did I miss where they got a power plant up and running?
I meant to mention that as well.
I was wondering where the power was coming from for Linda to watch the security tapes.

Now they did state that some people had home generators but not everyone and unless they run on propane, I'd think that they would run out of fuel soon.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #18
TonyD79

Okay. This thing is just getting worse. Watching cause I'm bored.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #19
Numb And Number2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Okay. This thing is just getting worse. Watching cause I'm bored.
I'd stay away from bored for a while.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #20
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose53 View Post
I agree ... the writing is getting worse every week ... it's like they sit down after dinner and say what shall we write this week. There's no continuity in the storyline. They bring in people that don't even seem to fit ... like that woman -- who the heck is she??

But, I was thinking the same thing about the guns ... how the heck are they going to return them?? I saw a man standing off to the side writing "something" down (I'm assuming it's probably the name of the owner and a description of the gun/weapon).

This would have been perfect as an 8- or a 10-week story ... a summer fill-in. Now they're trying to turn it into a long-term storyline ... they're ruining it.

And, that da*m "Junior," I wish somebody would take one of those weapons and eliminate him. G-d what a PIA.
There is continuity in the storyline. It "Pink stars are falling in line".

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #21
Johncv

Quote:
I was wondering where the power was coming from for Linda to watch the security tapes.

Now they did state that some people had home generators but not everyone and unless they run on propane, I'd think that they would run out of fuel soon.
That was also one the problems I had with the book, it seem like everyone in the town had a generator running on propane. In a small town maybe, but this not a small town. Also, how long can a generator run on tank of propane? The tanks they were showing look small. The list Barb read sound like they were using the propane in the making of the drug, not just for power.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #22
Numb And Number2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
That was also one the problems I had with the book, it seem like everyone in the town had a generator running on propane. In a small town maybe, but this not a small town. Also, how long can a generator run on tank of propane? The tanks they were showing look small. The list Barb read sound like they were using the propane in the making of the drug, not just for power.
Hey you,

This isn't a book forum.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #23
Langree
The Gimp

If they have whole house gennies aren't they fueled from a large tank on the property that would be filled by a truck?

But yes, even then running it 24/7 would be prohibitive,
Old 08-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #24
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
The show is absolutely terrible, and yet I can't turn away ...
Yep. I find it a bit amusing that the same people complain about how terrible the show is week after week, but apparently are still watching maybe they just watch to come here and complain about it!

Yeah, it's poorly written, but for some reason, the story intrigues me enough to keep at it. I've watched (and stopped watching) a whole lot worse.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:55 AM   #25
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post

Yep. I find it a bit amusing that the same people complain about how terrible the show is week after week, but apparently are still watching maybe they just watch to come here and complain about it!

Yeah, it's poorly written, but for some reason, the story intrigues me enough to keep at it. I've watched (and stopped watching) a whole lot worse.
Yes. Some of us have stated that how bad the show is is intriguing. You know. Like Plan 9 bad. The week was generic bad. Not bad enough.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #26
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Yes. Some of us have stated that how bad the show is is intriguing. You know. Like Plan 9 bad. The week was generic bad. Not bad enough.
Maybe that's CBS' plan. Draw in people who will watch week after week just to talk about how bad the show is, and make millions!!

The one thing that really irks me about this show, is they just can't figure out what kind of show it's supposed to be. Is it Sci Fi? A mobster show? A survival show? Focus on one aspect and run with it. It just goes off on these tangents. I wonder if the show was just a mini-series if it would have been more focused. I could live with most of the unbelievably. Heck it's show that takes place in a dome!!
Old 08-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #27
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

It's like a car wreck. You just HAVE to look!

Every week I ask my wife why we're still watching. I guess it's to see how dumb it can get.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #28
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_k View Post
It's got to be Junior - right? After all, he was in the painting with the pink stars.
And he's the only remaining character the right age.

Julia commented about how she keeps clinging to the idea that there's a rational explanation for everything, but she's finding it hard to do that. I feel the same way. But at least I can change the channel. Poor Julia's stuck in there!

Last edited by Hunter Green : 08-21-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Hunter Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #29
aaronwt
HD Addict

At least this one has a normal title so I could find it. Last week someone screwed with the title and put Dumb instead of Dome. I never found it until some posted a link to it.

I just watched this episode last night. Everyone at work is watching this show. Actually alot of people I run into are watching this show. And the consensus is that they all like it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #30
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

She was where all the propane is stored. So with all the propane stored there, that location could have power for a very long time.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote