TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
JettaJoey

TiVo Roaminio

What would cause a VAL ? with a TV Roamino 4 stream. I am with Charter in St. Louis. I am on my 2nd cablecard and i have a tuning adapter. Ive been on the phone most of the day with charter.
JettaJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Its a problem with the pairing. Unfortunately, cable companies suck at pairing cards. Even when you have a cableco that has a special cablecard hotline, they struggle. Its cable rep roulette... keep trying!! Eventually you will get someone who knows what they are doing. I;m used to Comcast taking a few tries at this point.... they always blame the card and make you get another one, or give up and roll a truck... and then the guy in the truck plays rep roulette!

Take the tuning adapter out of the situation, it can cause problems. Once the cablecard is working, connect the tuning adapter on a splitter (like shown here: http://www.myaccount.charter.com/Cus...px?MenuItem=79

Make sure you dont have unneeded extra splitters or open taps on splitters on your coax that can dirty up the line.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:29 AM   #3
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Its a problem with the pairing. Unfortunately, cable companies suck at pairing cards. Even when you have a cableco that has a special cablecard hotline, they struggle. Its cable rep roulette... keep trying!! Eventually you will get someone who knows what they are doing. I;m used to Comcast taking a few tries at this point.... they always blame the card and make you get another one, or give up and roll a truck... and then the guy in the truck plays rep roulette!

Take the tuning adapter out of the situation, it can cause problems. Once the cablecard is working, connect the tuning adapter on a splitter (like shown here: http://www.myaccount.charter.com/Cus...px?MenuItem=79

Make sure you dont have unneeded extra splitters or open taps on splitters on your coax that can dirty up the line.
I fully agree. Take the TA completely out of the equation (at minimum, just make sure the coax isn't having to go through the TA to get to the TiVo). Then, once the cablecard is paired, and fully authorized (give it up to 20 minutes), hook the TA up as the illustration in the link shows (not using the OUT port of the TA), then make another call in if the TA doesn't work. I usually give the TA 3-5 minutes of being powered on after connected to the coax before connecting the USB cable between the TA and TiVo. It can still take another 1-5 minutes for the TiVo to notify that it has detected the TA after that.

The thing cableco reps forget, is just how slow a cablecard in unidirectional communication mode takes to process commands, as well as how long it takes to download the correct mappings and tables. Make multiple calls, if they are not willing to wait, and they start telling you to start rebooting things, just because things don't happen instantly. Doing so only causes more problems, if premature.