TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #121
jkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitbyBlit View Post
But the video was far more of a direct admission than Skylar's statement, so I don't think Walt would have been upset about that if he had been willing to go through with giving Hank and Marie the video.

I think by that point their statements were more CYA than trying to still hide their actions from Hank and Marie. At the beginning of dinner, they might have been still holding on to the slim hope that Hank and Marie would let this drop, but by the time Skylar made her comment, it was more about asking them, "What will be gained by going after us?" than attempting to proclaim their innocence.
I think that the reason that they had the discussion at the table at all (instead of just handing them the disc) was to see if there was any last chance of a scenario in which they didn't have to hand them the disc.. (not a "hey we didn't do it", but a "hey you can't prove anything that you're claiming we did" kind of thing). I think Walt was also acting as if every discussion with Hank was recorded, just to be safe. Skyler's comment isn't as bad if they eventually give them the disc, but before that, there was a microscopic chance that they didn't have to do that (which Walt probably would have preferred).

seven syllables
(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #122
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Not sure I believe the "fantastical" claims either.

But -- did the repeal of Prohibition lead to a country full of alcoholics?

(Did Prohibition actually reduce alcohol abuse?)
Alcohol usage went down about 50%. It did not return to pre-prohibition levels until around 1940, about 7 years after it had been eliminated.

The crime that sprung up around it, and diminished when it was removed is exactly analogous to the drug war. If you take the profit out of the illicit drugs, the criminal element will go elsewhere. We proved that with Prohibition, and people looking for data should examine that data.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #123
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
I, too, am a little confused about the ricin. I came here to get answers and the summary that was posted helped but I still am not clear on why or how Jesse made the leap from the ricin being lifted from his pocket to Brock's poisoning since the kid wasn't poisoned with ricin (which is what got him off the hook with the police at the time).
I think they missed the mark a bit on this plot because it has so many threads.
  1. The ricin cig disappears. - Huell took it for Walt.
  2. The kid gets poisoned - It was Jesse's ricin!
  3. Walt poisoned the kid! - To get Jesse in line?
  4. GUS poisoned the kid! - Why, exactly? Walt is on Jesse's side?
  5. It wasn't ricin! - Wha??? How did the kid get sick?
  6. Oh. Here's the ricin in the Roomba! GOTO 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
Didn't like this episode. The confession thing was simply a vehicle that we've seen coming from a mile away. Make Hank realize that his rehab was paid for with meth money therefore he can't go to the DEA with what he knows.
There's a huge flaw in Walt's "confession." If Hank is the mastermind why doesn't Hank have all the money? Walt says that Hank forced him to pay the hospital bill. Why does Hank need Walt's money?

Where was Hank when the bad stuff went down? An invalid collecting minerals?

I still say that Hank can go to the DEA higher ups and lay it all out. Sure, his career is over, but Walt is toast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
See this POST in the ep 9 thread...that's my theory.
That conclusion just occurred to me. I see that some already came to it.

Walt goes to war with the Aryans & Czechs running the business using the canon to take them all out.

Then Walt who has only days left to live, takes the ricin himself.

The only factor is whether the writers let Walt succeed in talking care of his family in the end.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #124
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
I agree, the whole "Jesse figures it all out" stuff was over the top. He went from Zombie to rational way too quick. But the rest of the episode was spot on. And I like how they went a long time without a break during the crucial mid episode scenes. (I watch on a delay so I can FF but still nice to not break it up)
I was very confused too, and figured I just missed a detail somewhere -- I do that a lot.

So perhaps Jessie (how do you spell his name?) just flipped out? Pot stolen, reminded of the ricin when he grabs his pack of cigs... realizes he's just been a patsy this whole time and Walt is generally using and abusing him.

He'd been kinda catatonic and perhaps just flipped out and went Beast Mode?
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #125
JoeyJoJo
Damaged Goods

Jessie knew it wasn't Ricin that poisoned Brock while the kid was still in the hospital. The doctor told him that it was Lilly of the Valley. Walt didn't want to kill the kid, but he needed to make sure Jessie was back firmly on his side. The "ricin" ending up in the Roomba was just a convenient way for Walt to close the loop.
JoeyJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #126
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

One problem I had with the confession video: If Hank is the mastermind behind this huge meth empire, and the one forcing Heisenberg to cook for him, then why does Hank need Walt to pay $177k for Hank's medical bills? Why couldn't Hank pay for them himself? Are we to believe that Hank is running the empire but that Walt is making all the money?

Edit: I was typing as netringer made his post.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #127
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo View Post
Jessie knew it wasn't Ricin that poisoned Brock while the kid was still in the hospital. The doctor told him that it was Lilly of the Valley. Walt didn't want to kill the kid, but he needed to make sure Jessie was back firmly on his side. The "ricin" ending up in the Roomba was just a convenient way for Walt to close the loop.
How does Brock getting poisoned by Lily of the Valley bring Jesse to Walt? How did Gus have a hand in that?

See? Some threads are left dangling.

Jesse had to make permanent decisions based on what he knew at the time, but didn't wise up later when he knew the truth.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #128
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgickler View Post
I think that a big part of the reason that Jesse put together what happened with the ricin goes back to the desert scene. When Jesse asks if Walt is going to kill him, like he killed Mike, Walt never denies killing Mike. So up until that point, Jesse has suspicions, but I think that this confirmed it for him. So he decides to disappear, knowing that if he doesn't he is going to take a trip to Belize.

So at the point where Jesse realizes that his pot has been lifted, he no longer trusts anything that Walt has told him. So he figures out that Saul/Huell lifted the ricin, so he goes to them first, not to Walt. He knows that Saul is involved in the Ricin disappearing, but he gets Saul to admit what happened, so he then is certain that Walt was involved. So why would Walt direct Saul to steal the ricin, then make it reappear? Because the whole ricin incident, and Brocks poisoning was Walt playing Jesse, and I don't think at this point it matters much whether Jesse knows or suspects that Walt really did poison Brock. What matters, is that Walt manipulated the situation, led Jesse and the doctors to believe it was Ricin, Jesse believing that Gus was responsible, and leading to Jesse almost murdering Gus. And IMO that is why Jesse is striking back at Walt, not because he knows that Walt poisoned Brock, but because Jesse knows that the whole thing was Walt attempting to work Jesse.
I can get behind this one. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #129
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsmith View Post
I'm kinda surprised that no one has commented on the tank full of methyleneMethylamine being towed back to New Mexico.
FYP. Could anyone tell just how "full" it was? Sure, it was the tank of Methylamine, but it went by pretty quick.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #130
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
One problem I had with the confession video: If Hank is the mastermind behind this huge meth empire, and the one forcing Heisenberg to cook for him, then why does Hank need Walt to pay $177k for Hank's medical bills? Why couldn't Hank pay for them himself? Are we to believe that Hank is running the empire but that Walt is making all the money?

Edit: I was typing as netringer made his post.
That is kind of a hole, yes.

But perhaps Hank didn't want the money in his possession until he was ready to quit the DEA and go buy an island somewhere?

Perhaps Walt was the "accountant" in this arrangement? Or the only one with "clean" money at the time?

Perhaps the cash was tied up in product and inventory and suppliers at the exact moment he needed to pay the medical bills and Walt was the only member of the team with spending cash?
Old 08-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #131
JoeyJoJo
Damaged Goods

Jessie gets bumped at Saul's.

Brock is admitted to the hospital with an unknown poison.

Jessie goes out to have a smoke and finds his "lucky" cigarette gone.

Jessie panics and tells the doctors to test for ricin, and gets interrogated about why he'd think of ricin.

Jessie goes to Mr White's house believing that Walt is trying to manipulate him, and Walt grabs the barrel of the gun and puts it to his own head to convince Jessie it wasn't him, but Gus, since Gus had already had a kid killed. Jessie believes Walt.

Jessie finds out it wasn't ricin poisoning, but he's still missing his cigarette.

Walt solves that problem with the Roomba, AND gets control of the ricin back.

Jessie walks away when Todd kills the kid. He's seen Walt kill many times, including Gus and all of Mike's guys. He suspects that Walt killed Mike too.

Walt still has enough of a hold on Jessie that when he hugs him, it sways him enough to accept the idea of a new identity.

When he realizes his pot is missing, Jessie finally puts it together that Saul's dude took it. He gets the rest of the info from Saul.

People keep saying that Jessie was a zombie. He wasn't acting the way he was because he was stoned. That's not it at all. He was coherent when he talked to Hank, and he was coherent when he talked to Walt in the desert. He's just been emotionally shut down since Todd killed the kid, and he realized that Walt could also kill him. He's been waiting for that.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #132
Jstkiddn
Fruit Loop Dingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
FYP. Could anyone tell just how "full" it was? Sure, it was the tank of Methylamine, but it went by pretty quick.

I would have to go back to see exactly how full, but I specifically remember seeing the liquid sloshing around in the tank as they drove.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #133
jkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
I think they missed the mark a bit on this plot because it has so many threads.
  1. The ricin cig disappears. - Huell took it for Walt.
  2. The kid gets poisoned - It was Jesse's ricin!
  3. Walt poisoned the kid! - To get Jesse in line?
  4. GUS poisoned the kid! - Why, exactly? Walt is on Jesse's side?
  5. It wasn't ricin! - Wha??? How did the kid get sick?
  6. Oh. Here's the ricin in the Roomba! GOTO 5
This has already been covered so well in this thread, it's hard to believe we have to describe it again, but there should be no "?"s in a list like that:
  • They make Ricin to kill Gus
  • Jesse declines to use it
  • Walt fears for his life since he thinks Gus pulling in Jesse will make Walt an unnecessary liability
  • Walt tells Saul to have Huell steal the ricin so that Jesse sees that it's missing
  • Walt does NOT use the ricin (never planned to) - instead he uses Lillies of the Valley to get the kid sick but not dead.
  • Walt waits for Jesse to arrive, and convinces him that Gus (who has already killed kids) has just poisoned this kid with the Ricin. Walt has now convinced Jesse that Gus needs to die
  • Walt hides the ricin for a rainy day.
  • The hospital tells Jesse that it wasn't ricin after all, it was lillies of the valley
  • Jesse figures out that he now doesn't have an explanation why his ricin is missing (since Gus clearly didn't steal it and poison the kid with it, since ricin wasn't used)
  • Jesse worries that he carelessly lost the cigarette with ricin and that some kid will smoke it and die
  • Walt creates fake ricin to ease his concerns. He comes over and helps him search, then sneaks it in the roomba. They find it.
  • Jesse beating himself up crying that he almost shot Walt over this.

Quote:
There's a huge flaw in Walt's "confession." If Hank is the mastermind why doesn't Hank have all the money? Walt says that Hank forced him to pay the hospital bill. Why does Hank need Walt's money?
That's a good point, I need to listen to the confession tape again.

Quote:
That conclusion just occurred to me. I see that some already came to it.

Walt goes to war with the Aryans & Czechs running the business using the canon to take them all out.

Then Walt who has only days left to live, takes the ricin himself.
No way Walt takes the ricin himself. It's a long slow death, with flu-like symptoms. A bullet to the brain is very quick. Jumping off of a bridge. Other science-based ideas. No way Walt takes it (unless there's some poetic angle to it that we don't see yet). The whole point of ricin vs anything else is that it looks like an accident. We've covered this multiple times for the past few weeks in these threads.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all

Last edited by jkeegan : 08-26-2013 at 12:31 PM.
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #134
JoeyJoJo
Damaged Goods

I agree with jkeegan. There is no way that Walt takes the ricin. He's fought so hard to stay alive that I don't see suicide as an option for him at all.

My take on the confession is that Walt didn't need it to be Perfect, it just has to make enough questions to make things even more uncomfortable for Hank. It also shows what a convincing liar Walt can be.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #135
astrohip
Stuart F

Hard to reply with quoted posts, this thread is moving so fast...

One request: If y'all want to debate Prohibition and drug laws and yada yada, get a room. We have PLENTY to discuss without being siderailed with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
he did say that

but that was just a general rant that started out when the other guy mentioned the "plugs" in old airplane seats where the ashtray used to be. Lamenting that you can no longer smoke on airplanes. The nanny state. The bike helmet thing fits the theme. I don't think it was intended to be a link to the kid that Todd shot.
I think it was intended, by the writers, to make us think about the kid. And start us wondering how it was going to be brought up in this scene. Then it wasn't.

The Breaking Bad writers are masters at foreshadowing, then not going there. It's part of what makes this show so powerful to watch. One keeps thinking "oh wow they're gonna go THERE", and then they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I hope so too. I was on the edge of my seat with Jesse in the desert. I wanted to kill WW myself if he had hurt Jesse. I so want to put Jesse in my purse and keep him safe.
You realize you are talking about a person who committed a cold, pre-meditated murder.

THAT'S the power of BB.

Quote:
Didn't like this episode. The confession thing was simply a vehicle that we've seen coming from a mile away. Make Hank realize that his rehab was paid for with meth money therefore he can't go to the DEA with what he knows.

And the Jesse leap with the ricin? He's not that bright and certainly not in a state of mind to be putting together the pieces of that puzzle.
Disagree. Maybe you saw the fake confession thing coming, but as an avid reader of all things BB, I never once read anyone say anything about how smart it would be to have Walt implicate Hank in a fake confession. We talked about how Hank is so tied up in WW's dealings that it's gonna be hard for him to come out smelling clean. But this fake confession--absolute genius.

And disagree. Jesse is that bright, and he's spent the last year immersed in the world of Walter White. He's obsesses over his life's journey, and yeah, I think he makes that leap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
It's not about the Ricin, it's confirmation of one of Walt's lies . Jessie now has incontrovertible proof that Walt is able to lie convincingly about anything. Walt at first tried to blame Gus for the missing ricin, which Jesse now knows was a complete lie, confirmed by Saul. Walt told that lie while under the duress of Jesse's gun pointing straight between his eyes, so he's exceptionally good at it.

Now, Jesse is free to assume that everything else Walt has every told him is also a lie, so he's raging.
This. He knows Mr. White lies to him. All the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
When did Walt and Jesse stop trusting each other? I am not sure what I mean here, but it seems like they were at least doing okay with each other - watching each other's backs and such for a couple seasons.

Was it Jane dying? I just rewatched 4 Days Out and it seemed they were good/as good as ever - then. Was it Gus trying to split them apart? Or Mike and even then Jesse got between Mike's gun and Walt.
I think the straw was when Matt Damon killed the kid on the bike, and WW just took a "well, geez, that was bad but it happened so let's move on" attitude. Jesses couldn't stomach the kid being cold-blooded killed, and he basically walked away from meth & Mr. White at that point.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #136
BradJW

We know Walt made millions in his empire, but do the feds? maybe he only made tens of thousands, and maybe Hank only made tens of thousands and that's why Hank needed Walt to pay his medical bills.

There's a money trail, but how detailed is it really?
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #137
BradJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I think the straw was when the young Matt Damon look-alike killed the kid on the bike, and WW just took a "well, geez, that was bad but it happened so let's move on" attitude. Jesses couldn't stomach the kid being cold-blooded killed, and he basically walked away from meth & Mr. White at that point.
FYP.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #138
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
We know Walt made millions in his empire, but do the feds? maybe he only made tens of thousands, and maybe Hank only made tens of thousands and that's why Hank needed Walt to pay his medical bills.

There's a money trail, but how detailed is it really?
I think the Feds know that with how much of Heisenberg's blue meth they've been finding all over the Southwest, and knowing the street prices of meth, that whoever is behind the blue meth empire must be either raking in the cash by the millions or is a very inefficient drug kingpin.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #139
fmowry

Quote:
Disagree. Maybe you saw the fake confession thing coming, but as an avid reader of all things BB, I never once read anyone say anything about how smart it would be to have Walt implicate Hank in a fake confession. We talked about how Hank is so tied up in WW's dealings that it's gonna be hard for him to come out smelling clean. But this fake confession--absolute genius.
I guess because you didn't uncover anything in your in depth reading, nobody can come to another conclusion unless they spend hours in BB threads hypothesizing about future episodes?

I knew when Walt started taping the "confession" and they quickly cut away that it was certainly not going to be Walt actually coming clean on anything. Anyone who has watched the series should have realized that. Walt's always 5 steps ahead. Confessing would be him giving up. Not in his DNA. Especially with the cancer back.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #140
jgickler
Mr. Rolleyes

There are lots of ways you can get to Hank being a penny-less drug lord. It could easily be written off as a cash flow problem IMO. Either he was cash poor, maybe due to buying supplies, building a lab, or some other concocted situation where he needed cash, or maybe he had the cash, but had not laundered it yet, so he couldn't spend it. It did occur as a hole to me last night, but I don't think it is a big enough hole to save Hank, and it could easily be explained away.

Also, could someone refresh my memory. When Hank was shot, what was Walt's financial situation? He wasn't on his own at that point. Was he working for Gus in the laundry, or was it before that? Is it possible at the point where Hank was shot, Hank's ficticious meth business was in its infancy, and that could explain why he needed to rely on Walt, who maybe was more frugal with his money?
Old 08-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #141
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
I think it was intended, by the writers, to make us think about the kid. And start us wondering how it was going to be brought up in this scene. Then it wasn't.
+1

The moment the camera focused on the pack of cigarettes I flashed back to the ricin and started trying to connect dots.
Quote:
And disagree. Jesse is that bright, and he's spent the last year immersed in the world of Walter White. He's obsesses over his life's journey, and yeah, I think he makes that leap.
Yep. Jesse has learned a LOT in this last year. It's not just Walt who's changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
Nope - it was only a matter of hours between when we think huell lifted it, and when Jesse got the call about Brock in the hospital.. Ricin takes a few days to have effect.
You have a hundred dollar bill in a kitchen drawer. A neighbor kid goes inside to use the bathroom and several hours later you notice the money is missing. You assume the kid took it, even talk to his parents.

Later you learn your spouse took the money on the way to the store.

You apologize to the kid and his parents and know, 100%, that he is not responsible, but that doesn't mean you forget it ever happened. The next time money goes missing you will remember that day, even though you don't think the neighbor took it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
Was the waiter, the same one from Office Space?
In lieu of acting lessons he simply watched Office Space a dozen times. I was disappointed by his lack of flair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Why not? I mean, it's his uncle. The one that set up all the kills in the jails. I was figuring it may be a right of passage thing. Or heck, Todd did it so calm and cool like - maybe it wasn't his first kill.
Killing the kid was a cowardly move which Todd later regretted. It makes him look weak, that he scares easily.

Quote:
I did not see that "confession" coming. I was really set up.

Like they say, now you can see how some seeming throw away details come into play for the accusation.
That was fantastic. All those little details, like the early ride-along, that can be independently verified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
So good! I didn't see it coming at all.. Totally figured he was making a legit confession (which felt surprising but I bought it), and at the end of the dinner discussion I thought that was Walt almost giving up by handing over the disc. Holy sh*t. That was awesome.
I had the same thought at first, then "wait, we didn't see what he actually recorded..."
Quote:
2) Wow does Todd look like Matt Damon
An albino Matt Damon, yes.

Quote:
Hank forced Walt to use Walt's money so the paper trail would lead back to Walt and Hank didn't have to launder the money himself, right then and there.
Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #142
JETarpon

Quote:
Walt had the gambling cover story. Hank did not. As a DEA agent, Hank would be under greater scrutiny regarding his financial situation, so it would make sense for all the money to be funneled through Walt with the gambling cover story.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #143
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
I guess because you didn't uncover anything in your in depth reading, nobody can come to another conclusion unless they spend hours in BB threads hypothesizing about future episodes?

I knew when Walt started taping the "confession" and they quickly cut away that it was certainly not going to be Walt actually coming clean on anything. Anyone who has watched the series should have realized that. Walt's always 5 steps ahead. Confessing would be him giving up. Not in his DNA. Especially with the cancer back.
I thought he was filming the confession as a "last resort" to keep Skyler and the kids (and the money) safe. To be used after his death, perhaps.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #144
Gary McCoy

I think Jesse is gonna torch Walt's house in the opening scene next week. The house will not burn down as we already know from the first episode, but it will be damaged and uninhabitable. It may get repaired and inhabited before being vandalized. However:

1) The lottery ticket on the board next to the refrigerator will burn, and Jesse will have made Walt's cash money unrecoverable. Walt will be befuddled by the cancer meds and unable to recall the GPS coordinates.

2) Walt and family will be "on vacation" so to speak, paying cash anonymously in a Hotel, when some sort of attempt is made against Walt's family - maybe the Car Wash gets bombed, or one of their cars jacked. This will happen after Walt refuses to help Todd and his Aryan Brotherhood uncle re-start Meth production.

3) I think the M-60 machine gun will be used against the Aryan Brotherhood heavies. I think Walt's family - possibly including Hank and Marie - will be holed up in New Hampshire, possibly in Federal Witness Protection. A dying Walt will clean up the loose ends in Albuquerque as a final act of contrition, in the "Scarface" scene.

4) Numerous unpredictable twists and turns will be added to the above.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #145
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgickler View Post
There are lots of ways you can get to Hank being a penny-less drug lord. It could easily be written off as a cash flow problem IMO. Either he was cash poor, maybe due to buying supplies, building a lab, or some other concocted situation where he needed cash, or maybe he had the cash, but had not laundered it yet, so he couldn't spend it. It did occur as a hole to me last night, but I don't think it is a big enough hole to save Hank, and it could easily be explained away.

Also, could someone refresh my memory. When Hank was shot, what was Walt's financial situation? He wasn't on his own at that point. Was he working for Gus in the laundry, or was it before that? Is it possible at the point where Hank was shot, Hank's ficticious meth business was in its infancy, and that could explain why he needed to rely on Walt, who maybe was more frugal with his money?
I think that was during Walt's initial stint working for Gus in the SuperLab when he was being paid $3 million for 3 months work. Later Walt renegotiated and got a $15 million/year salary, but we don't know how long he operated under that deal. Presumably, some of the rehab time and therefore rehab money came after the $15 million salary started.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #146
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
The first thing I thought of when Walt started the confession tape was the one he made in the very beginning/pilot episode.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #147
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post
Walt had the gambling cover story. Hank did not. As a DEA agent, Hank would be under greater scrutiny regarding his financial situation, so it would make sense for all the money to be funneled through Walt with the gambling cover story.
The gambling cover story was only ever told to Hank and Marie, wasn't it? So it's not like that cover story was something Walt could use to prevent people on the outside from questioning how Hank paid for his rehab.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #148
jgickler
Mr. Rolleyes

What if Walt turns over the confession tape to someone at the DEA, and agrees to go into witness protection in return for testifying against Hank.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #149
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
The confession thing was simply a vehicle that we've seen coming from a mile away.
Quote:
Disagree. Maybe you saw the fake confession thing coming,
Quote:

From your statement, "a vehicle that we've seen coming from a mile away", I thought you meant you've seen it coming for several episodes now. Or at least before this ep.

If you are saying once he started filming in this week's episode, and at that point you saw it coming from a mile away, then I can't take that away from you.

Nonetheless, simply a stunning episode. A tour de force. Each episode just gets better and better. I keep thinking they can't keep this up... and they do.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #150
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsmith View Post
I'm kinda surprised that no one has commented on the tank full of methylene being towed back to New Mexico.
I did.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote