TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #91
SugarBowl

Walt gave a sharp look to Skylar when she said something to Hank about "it's all in the past"
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #92
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post

Walt makes an amazingly clean poison, and does so with the precision of a chemist and the care of an artisan. He's actually producing a consistent, pure poison that would be considered pharmaceutical quality.
yes, i agree
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #93
MonsterJoe
waxing cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimented View Post
Unless you were a known thief. Then I might I still have suspicions.

I think that is the point here. Jesse has seen some pretty elaborate plans by Walt to make people think he didn't do something. I think in Jessie's mind, putting the pieces together that he stole the ricin cigarette was enough for him to think Walt was going to poison Brock with the ricin, realized Jessie would find out, poisoned him with something else and used it all as a cover up.
Nope - it was only a matter of hours between when we think huell lifted it, and when Jesse got the call about Brock in the hospital.. Ricin takes a few days to have effect.

I don't really care - I'll suspend disbelief for the sake of enjoyment...but as long as it was brought up, it was pretty sloppy storytelling for such a good show.

Last edited by MonsterJoe : 08-26-2013 at 11:02 AM.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #94
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Still didn't answer the question. And it's not a "wrong" question. It's no more "wrong" than yours. Prove to me that legalizing drugs would solve the problem.

Why would legalizing drugs be any different? Billions of dollars will still be spent trying to regulate the drugs, and there would STILL be illegal street drugs floating around. We'd have twice the problems.
There's a huge profit margin; that's what makes it attractive to criminals. How many criminals sell snack chips? There's not a huge profit to be made there. And there is a huge, competitive, marketplace.

Prices drop drastically. Quality would improve. It would be far less necessary for "addicts" to be robbing people on the street or burglarizing homes to pay for that habit. Police could focus on violent crimes. We wouldn't have prisons filled with people whose only crime was using an "illegal" drug, or possessing some amount of it for their own or their friends use. Billions of dollars could go towards improving and replacing crumbling infrastructure instead of wasted on fruitless labor that time and again is proven not to help one bit.

Take a legal drug: tobacco. When did criminals become interested in selling cigarettes? When it started to get taxed more than other products. When did liquor become a criminal empire? When government attempted to make it illegal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #95
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
yes, i agree
You're confusing the drugs Walt makes to the chemotherapy drugs that are legal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #96
JETarpon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Why would legalizing drugs be any different? Billions of dollars will still be spent trying to regulate the drugs, and there would STILL be illegal street drugs floating around. We'd have twice the problems.
We don't spend billions of dollars regulating alcohol, and we don't still have illegal speakeasies floating around.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #97
JETarpon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Umm, the country is full of addicts now. Haven't you noticed? "Addicts" may be too strong. "Users" is probably better.
Users aren't addicts. What's wrong with users?
Old 08-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #98
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post
We don't spend billions of dollars regulating alcohol
There are many many many regulations for alcohol. Federal. State. Local. It's a huge mishmash of a mess.

jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #99
sgsmith

I'm kinda surprised that no one has commented on the tank full of methylene being towed back to New Mexico.
sgsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #100
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsmith View Post
I'm kinda surprised that no one has commented on the tank full of methylene being towed back to New Mexico.
Yeah, how obvious was that....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #101
jkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
Walt gave a sharp look to Skylar when she said something to Hank about "it's all in the past"
Yeah I felt what Walt was feeling at that point. She just admitted there was an "it". Walt hadn't admitted anything like that yet.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #102
jkeegan

By the way I saw a look in Walt's eye after Marie suggested that he commit suicide. She said something like "you're saying the problem goes away if you die, right? Then just commit suicide - kill yourself".

It was almost like he was considering staging suicide as an out (while lying about it). It would explain neighbor Carol's reaction to seeing Walt.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 08-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #103
3D

I thought at least part of the reason Jesse was pissed back when he accused Walt of taking the cigarette was that Walt let Jesse falsely believe that he (Jesse) was responsible for what happened to Brock. If Gus stole the cigarette, then Walt did not stand by and callously allow Jesse to beat himself up over something that wasn't his fault. Jesse has now confirmed that Walt did not give a sh@t that Jesse was tormented by what he perceived to be his part in Brock getting sick. That he eventually learned that Brock did not in fact injest ricin is besides the point, he spent a decent period of time wracked by guilt.

ETA: Nevermind. Later posts have triggered my memory and I now realize that this was completely wrong.

Last edited by 3D : 08-26-2013 at 01:56 PM.
3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #104
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
When did Walt and Jesse stop trusting each other? I am not sure what I mean here, but it seems like they were at least doing okay with each other - watching each other's backs and such for a couple seasons.

Was it Jane dying? I just rewatched 4 Days Out and it seemed they were good/as good as ever - then. Was it Gus trying to split them apart? Or Mike and even then Jesse got between Mike's gun and Walt.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #105
modnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
It would explain neighbor Carol's reaction to seeing Walt.
I think Carol's reaction is explained by seeing the man who she's heard all the horrible\evil things about by the time we see her.
modnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #106
jgickler
Mr. Rolleyes

I think that a big part of the reason that Jesse put together what happened with the ricin goes back to the desert scene. When Jesse asks if Walt is going to kill him, like he killed Mike, Walt never denies killing Mike. So up until that point, Jesse has suspicions, but I think that this confirmed it for him. So he decides to disappear, knowing that if he doesn't he is going to take a trip to Belize.

So at the point where Jesse realizes that his pot has been lifted, he no longer trusts anything that Walt has told him. So he figures out that Saul/Huell lifted the ricin, so he goes to them first, not to Walt. He knows that Saul is involved in the Ricin disappearing, but he gets Saul to admit what happened, so he then is certain that Walt was involved. So why would Walt direct Saul to steal the ricin, then make it reappear? Because the whole ricin incident, and Brocks poisoning was Walt playing Jesse, and I don't think at this point it matters much whether Jesse knows or suspects that Walt really did poison Brock. What matters, is that Walt manipulated the situation, led Jesse and the doctors to believe it was Ricin, Jesse believing that Gus was responsible, and leading to Jesse almost murdering Gus. And IMO that is why Jesse is striking back at Walt, not because he knows that Walt poisoned Brock, but because Jesse knows that the whole thing was Walt attempting to work Jesse.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #107
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
By the way I saw a look in Walt's eye after Marie suggested that he commit suicide. She said something like "you're saying the problem goes away if you die, right? Then just commit suicide - kill yourself".

It was almost like he was considering staging suicide as an out (while lying about it). It would explain neighbor Carol's reaction to seeing Walt.
See this POST in the ep 9 thread...that's my theory.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #108
modnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I think if Walt was dead, he would've picked a more discrete time to go back to the house. Of course, if the reason he would need to fake his death is irrelevant at that point, he just wouldn't care.
modnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #109
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
If Jesse is that mad at Walt is there any reason for him to NOT tell the cops everything?

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #110
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
Up to that point, Walt had been cagily and carefully speaking in hypotheticals with Hank, even during their garage fight. Saying "it's all in the past" was a direct admission by Skylar.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #111
jkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Yeah that's what I was referring to - your post.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 08-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #112
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by modnar View Post
I think Carol's reaction is explained by seeing the man who she's heard all the horrible\evil things about by the time we see her.
Not to mention what he's done to her property value...
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #113
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
Nope - it was only a matter of hours between when we think huell lifted it, and when Jesse got the call about Brock in the hospital.. Ricin takes a few days to have effect.

I don't really care - I'll suspend disbelief for the sake of enjoyment...but as long as it was brought up, it was pretty sloppy storytelling for such a good show.
I'm fairly certain that Jesse doesn't think Walt used the ricin on Brock. I think that deep inside, Jesse has always been suspicious of how Walt found the "missing ricin", and of the flower with ricin-like symptoms that Brock had gotten ahold of coincidently when his ricin went missing.

He did consider that Huell might have taken his ricin during his unusually intrusive pat-down, but dismissed it without any other evidence that Huell had had that skill.

When Jesse was searching his pockets for his weed, he knew that he had had it on him just before walking out the door, and thus probably quickly came to the conclusion that Huell had taken it, and was pissed off at him for doing so. He then reached for his cigarettes to smoke one of those instead, and as he pulled the pack out of his pocket, remembered the only other time Huell had invaded his space, just before he found out that Brock had been poisoned.

I'm sure he recalled that Walt had claimed to have found the ricin later on, but at the same time was suspicious of the fact that it mysteriously showed up only when Walt came to help him look for it.

It didn't matter that Walt hadn't used the ricin on Brock. What mattered was that Walt had taken the ricin, which meant that he had lied about finding it and also not knowing what had happened to it. It also meant that it was likely that he had poisoned Brock since it would have been too coincidental for Walt to have wanted the ricin stolen just before Brock got poisoned with something that showed similar symptoms.

There is still some reasonable doubt that Walt might be able to take advantage of, however, in order to explain his way out of this situation. It will be interesting to see what he does next week.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #114
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
If Jesse is that mad at Walt is there any reason for him to NOT tell the cops everything?
Because he hates Hank, is not a fan of cops, and is an irrational criminal?

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #115
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Yes. He can't stand Hank either, and I don't think he wants to go to jail. I don't think Jesse turns state's evidence, but if he does, he'll be dead even sooner than I think he'll be dead.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #116
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I thought the realization of the Ricin was brilliant. Jesse suddenly realized that Huell is really good at pickpocketing things, and that suddenly explains how he lost the Ricin cigarette. He'd never fully accepted the explanation that Gus stole it, or that it got lost in his house. That was all just too convenient. And now he has confirmation that Huell takes things from his pocket at the direction of Saul. So it wasn't a big leap for him to then suspect that Huell had done the same thing with the Ricin, and he wasn't about to head off to Alaska without confirming his suspicions, so he goes back to Saul's office and Saul confirms what Jesse suspected: Walt was manipulating Jesse all along, even using a very sick little boy to work Jesse, and potentially even causing that boy to be sick.

Or what BitbyBlit posted (much better than I did) while I was typing.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #117
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Up to that point, Walt had been cagily and carefully speaking in hypotheticals with Hank, even during their garage fight. Saying "it's all in the past" was a direct admission by Skylar.
But the video was far more of a direct admission than Skylar's statement, so I don't think Walt would have been upset about that if he had been willing to go through with giving Hank and Marie the video.

I think by that point their statements were more CYA than trying to still hide their actions from Hank and Marie. At the beginning of dinner, they might have been still holding on to the slim hope that Hank and Marie would let this drop, but by the time Skylar made her comment, it was more about asking them, "What will be gained by going after us?" than attempting to proclaim their innocence.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #118
jkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitbyBlit View Post
I think that deep inside, Jesse has always been suspicious of how Walt found the "missing ricin", and of the flower with ricin-like symptoms that Brock had gotten ahold of coincidently when his ricin went missing.
Nope on that point (at least the "always"). After they found the salt-ricin-substitute in the Roomba and Walt went to the bathroom to flush it, Jesse went into tears, beating himself up for almost having shot Mr. White. At that point there's no question that Jesse believed Walt.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 08-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #119
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I really think Hank not telling anyone about his knowledge about who Heisenberg is is gonna be a big problem for him.
Yes, but so would telling.

He's in a tough spot. He'd better tell the writers to get really clever or he's not going to have a career left.

Walt really owns him. Hank may be the better fighter, but Walt is much smarter.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #120
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Not me.

There have been moments where I was angry (usually relating to Jessie), but Walt is designed to be the character you identify with (EVEN as he goes deeper and deeper into darkness). I find it almost entertaining watching people root against him. I think one of the challenges was seeing how far they could get the audience to go on rooting for Walt. There's a majority of me that right now IS rooting for him (and if he meant that hug, he still has me on his side).

And before you go judging me - it's fiction. So I'm allowed to enjoy a consequence-free story.
I'm rooting for Walt too. I'm ready for Jessie to visit Belize. He needs to be eliminated.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote