Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #31
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billboard_NE View Post

I will have to re-watch, but I thought one of his gang members mentioned something about kicking a kid killer was a pleasure.
Bicycle boy was never mentioned, but when the two men were in the bathroom they talked about how America has gone to crap and, as an example, one mentioned how kids these days wear helmets when they ride bikes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #32
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

wasn't the kid that saw the heist on a dirt bike? (i.e. motorcycle?)

jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #33
billboard_NE
North Shore MA

Just re-watched, no mention of dirt bike kid.

what confused me was the scene in the bathroom at the diner "I see a kid with a bicycle helmet on I want to smack the Sh** out of him."

my mistake
billboard_NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #34
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
Was the waiter, the same one from Office Space?
No, but you can be sure they were copying him.
I saw the similarities, too.

That guy would be 15 years older now.

I was expecting Walt or Hank to tell the waiter to get lost in real severe terms.

I hope they left a tip.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #35
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:

what confused me was the scene in the bathroom at the diner "I see a kid with a bicycle helmet on I want to smack the Sh** out of him."

my mistake
That was just Mr. Nazi b*ing about the p*fictation of America.
UVerse and OTA

Old 08-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #36
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:

my mistake
he did say that

but that was just a general rant that started out when the other guy mentioned the "plugs" in old airplane seats where the ashtray used to be. Lamenting that you can no longer smoke on airplanes. The nanny state. The bike helmet thing fits the theme. I don't think it was intended to be a link to the kid that Todd shot.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #37
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

It's not too hard to figure out Vince Gilligan's tease on "Talking Bad."

Spoiler:
Jesse set fire to the White's house B*ches! They have to go to a Motel to live.

What is strange is that the house looked vandalized, but didn't look burned out when Walt goes back to retrieve the ricin.

UVerse and OTA

Old 08-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #38
billboard_NE
North Shore MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
he did say that

but that was just a general rant that started out when the other guy mentioned the "plugs" in old airplane seats where the ashtray used to be. Lamenting that you can no longer smoke on airplanes. The nanny state. The bike helmet thing fits the theme. I don't think it was intended to be a link to the kid that Todd shot.
Yes, I was just half watching (shame) and in my head I thought he was talking about the dirt bike kid. completely my fault.
billboard_NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #39
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I did not see that "confession" coming. I was really set up.

Like they say, now you can see how some seeming throw away details come into play for the accusation.

Well done, Vince.

I say that Hank still can just lay it all out, and even show the confession ahead of time NOW.
UVerse and OTA

Old 08-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #40
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
Aaron Paul killed it in this episode. I've been waiting for Jesse to turn on Walt for like three seasons now. I hope he follows through with torching the house.
I hope so too. I was on the edge of my seat with Jesse in the desert. I wanted to kill WW myself if he had hurt Jesse. I so want to put Jesse in my purse and keep him safe.

That taped confession, though clever, pi$$ed me off. Just so wrong. WW is the devil and can die any time now.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #41
BitbyBlit

Quote:
We have seen the house in the future. It's not torched.
And I wonder if that was why Walt was going for the ricin. Perhaps it wasn't for killing anyone, but rather to plant it somewhere to finally complete a lie he had told Jesse months earlier about what "might have happened" to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Was the scene where Hank, Marie, Walt, and Skylar were sitting at the restaurant similar to one earlier in the series? (The location, I mean, not the substance of their discussion). I had major déjà vu watching it.
If you watched Talking Bad last week, that was the preview scene they showed.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #42
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I really think Hank not telling anyone about his knowledge about who Heisenberg is is gonna be a big problem for him.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #43
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitbyBlit View Post

If you watched Talking Bad last week, that was the preview scene they showed.
Ha! I did, and that must be why it looked familiar to me. Thanks!

Unrelated: I really thought that Saul might be taking a trip to Belize there, for a moment.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #44
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:

And I wonder if that was why Walt was going for the ricin. Perhaps it wasn't for killing anyone, but rather to plant it somewhere to finally complete a lie he had told Jesse months earlier about what "might have happened" to it..
In last season, Walt definitely told Jesse he flushed it right there so there's no story to complete. So if it shows up again Jesse will just know Walt lied to him again.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #45
jkeegan

Another awesome episode.

Quote:
Yeah!

Walt's "confession" was awesome. Pin it on Hank!! Yeah, that's the ticket. he took the money for his medical bills. And Marie knew about it. DOH!
So good! I didn't see it coming at all.. Totally figured he was making a legit confession (which felt surprising but I bought it), and at the end of the dinner discussion I thought that was Walt almost giving up by handing over the disc. Holy sh*t. That was awesome.

Quote:
Speaking of Todd and the gang and the new management...

Was anyone surprised that they were coming back into New Mexico from some place else?? (Arizona???) Am I right to assume that the cooking moved out of state under Declan? They wanted us to see the Welcome to New Mexico sign for a reason.
Well at the beginning of the season when Walt gives money to the guy in the bathroom for the gun, the guy asks for Walt's word that the gun won't leave state lines, and Walt assures him that no it won't even leave the town. What feels like the next chronological scene to us is Walt at his house getting the Ricin, so presumably THAT is the town. If the operation is coming closer, that makes them a potential target for that big gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frash View Post
I think Declan's operation was in Arizona, so I assume he was cooking there as well.

I took that scene to show that the meth 'empire' is coming back to Albuquerque, and with that, close to Walt.
Yep.

Ok enough with the quote-replies, here are a few thoughts I jotted down while reading the thread:

1) GREEN JACKET! Did anyone else notice that Todd was wearing a green military jacket? Remember when danterner posted this two weeks ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D View Post
Under one of the more en vogue theories out there (linked to a couple of times above), Walt's behavior at the car wash is explained by its similarities to how Gus acted at his chicken restaurants. Essentially, the theory is that Walt has a habit of taking on characteristics of his victims.
If that theory holds true, then I don't think the theory that flash-forward Walt is back in town to save Jesse is going to be true:

?? As soon as I saw Todd wearing the jacket, I was filled with hope!

2) Wow does Todd look like Matt Damon

3) As I agreed above, the video was pure awesome. Veeeeery convincing. Tread lightly indeed. Hank didn't even know who he was talking to.

4) I love that Marie keeps almost making things worse for her and Hank and he almost looks embarrassed by her for doing it (luring Walt Jr to the house in this case, trying to steal the baby in the other).

5) As soon as Jessie got to Walt's house with the gasoline, I immediately said out loud "OH ****, IT'S **JESSIE** THAT WRITES HEISENBERG ON THE WALLS!!!"

6) Hadn't remembered that Hank didn't know about the money for his advanced treatment.. (totally remembered that Walt paid, and that Hank benefited from that, just forgot that Hank never knew that)

7) As soon as I saw Jessie checking his pockets I immediately knew he'd figure out that they had stolen the ricin from him forever ago (they just stole the dope back from him now, so they could clearly have done it before, and he happens to look at his cigarettes). I then also thought that if Walt GOT the ricin back he could prove to Jessie that he hadn't used it on the kid - he'd just used lilies of the valley. (but that's still a betrayal because he tricked him into thinking Gus had to die)

8) I absolutely needed that hug in the desert. What I've wanted to hear Walt say to Jessie for a long time (but he hasn't that I recall) is that Jessie is FAMILY. Man I felt for Jessie in the desert. And my heart almost broke when he said Alaska, as he started to have a bit of hope.

Unlike Hank rushing things with the tape recorder, Walt tells Saul to "take a walk" at the suggestion that they get mad at Jessie for throwing the cash and getting in the police spotlight again.

9) So - that whole "new identity" service. With the way the episode ended, this next point is a bit moot, but even since seasons ago when Walt was considering it, it occurred to me that it would be extremely difficult to trust such a service. If someone is really going to make someone disappear such that NO ONE can find them, then how is that distinguishable from taking them out to the desert and shooting them in the head? Unless they leave a pretty big hole and let Saul contact the person in their new life, Saul has no idea if they ACTUALLY gave them a new identity, or just shot and buried them somewhere. When Jessie said Alaska I almost had tears in my eyes at the thought that he might get in the car, and get killed instead of going away.

So when Walt suggested it in the desert, I immediately started saying things to my wife like "well at LEAST we know that WALT believes the service is real, because HE was going to use it..".. and Saul seemed to think it was real too.

For that reason I'm glad the story doesn't have Jessie getting in that car. But I'm sad that he can't start over in Alaska. (at least it doesn't seem that way)

10) I thought there was a slight chance that Saul might actually die in this episode

11) I thought the zooming-in on Uncle Jack's swastika was a way to remind us "hey, even though this guy helped Walt stay safe with the whole 10-person prison murders, we don't want you to like these guys..."

12) Seeing that spider approaching Jessie's feet in the desert, I was like "oh man he's thinking about the kid on the bike.. he's gonna lose it"

13) Walt is getting so good that I can't even see what he's doing now. Here I'm thinking that Walt is telling Walt Jr about his cancer in case Marie or Hank mentions it to him so that Walt Jr doesn't find out that Walt is hiding something from him, and then Walt Jr says "of course I'm not leaving - I'm staying right here". I was floored. Didn't even see that outcome coming.

That's all I've got tonight. Didn't do a rewatch yet. Such a good episode.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #46
danielhart
Finnhater

The confession and the reaction scene with Hank and Marie were 15 minutes of epic television. Great stuff.

So many great shows burn out and go off the rails - but this one just keeps getting better and better
danielhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #47
danielhart
Finnhater

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
I did not see that "confession" coming. I was really set up.

Like they say, now you can see how some seeming throw away details come into play for the accusation.

Well done, Vince.

I say that Hank still can just lay it all out, and even show the confession ahead of time NOW.
The money is checkmate. He's screwed without corroboration from either Jesse, Skyler, or Saul.
danielhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #48
JohnB1000

When did Hank then into Michael Chiklis?
Old 08-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #49
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
That taped confession, though clever, pi$$ed me off. Just so wrong. WW is the devil and can die any time now.
Most people had already jumped into the "rooting against Walt" side, but that taped confession is what finally pushed me fully into that category. Other activities Walt has been involved in often included other forces at work. And even with all the things he's done against Jesse, he's also sacrificed a lot for him. But this was blatantly hurting two people whose only crime was finding out the truth about him. And Skylar's willingness to go along with it makes me root against her as well.

But I'm not necessarily ready for Walt to die. Personally, I think the worst punishment would be for him to live. The whole reason he started this business was to leave money for his family when he died. I think the ideal ending would be for him to be sitting in a room filled with all his cash, having lost his entire family (via death, Witness Protection, or some other means). He then gets a phone call. "Mr. Lambert, the test results are back. All signs of the cancer are gone. Congratulations!" Fade to black.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #50
jkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhart View Post
The money is checkmate. He's screwed without corroboration from either Jesse, Skyler, or Saul.

If Walt or Skyler ever release the video, there probably isn't even much suspicion that Walt had lots of money hidden somewhere out in the desert - that suspicion all goes towards Hank. And Walt came out first with his version (at least according to the video), mentioning Hank inviting him to come see a meth raid (which he invited him to in front of lots of people!).

Plus, Walt still gets street cred for being the cook! THAT PRODUCT IS MINE!!!

But as Hank said, it's just a threat. (And a damned good one at that!)

EVERYONE knows about Hank's recovery. A simple check will show that insurance didn't pay for it. Hank's implicated - not just naive to Walt being Heisenberg, but IMPLICATED (albeit unknowlingly, but)..

But once again they change it all up. That's not the important issue anymore. Jessie is pouring gasoline.

Think Walt gets there before he lights a match? Who thinks we're gonna see that mirror get smashed?

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 08-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #51
jkeegan

Quote:
Most people had already jumped into the "rooting against Walt" side, but that taped confession is what finally pushed me fully into that category.
Not me.

There have been moments where I was angry (usually relating to Jessie), but Walt is designed to be the character you identify with (EVEN as he goes deeper and deeper into darkness). I find it almost entertaining watching people root against him. I think one of the challenges was seeing how far they could get the audience to go on rooting for Walt. There's a majority of me that right now IS rooting for him (and if he meant that hug, he still has me on his side).

And before you go judging me - it's fiction. So I'm allowed to enjoy a consequence-free story.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 08-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #52
jkeegan

(And remember - Walt didn't publish that video.. he gave a copy to Hank. Big difference.. It's a threat to ensure that Hank doesn't destroy the family. So Walt still hasn't done anything (recently) to hurt Hank or Marie directly)

(unless, of course, someone finds that video by accident)

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 08-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #53
jkeegan

Oh yeah here was another thought I had during the episode..

After the hug scene, we saw some other scene (don't remember what). I said to Laurie "Can you imagine if that was the last time we ever see Jessie, and they just left it up in the air forever what happened to him???!?"

I was glad to see him in Saul's office a few scenes later.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 08-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #54
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
In last season, Walt definitely told Jesse he flushed it right there so there's no story to complete. So if it shows up again Jesse will just know Walt lied to him again.
Walt might settle for admitting the lesser of two lies, though, which was that he faked finding the ricin so that Jesse would calm down about losing it.

That's the only thing other than death that I think would cause Jesse to give up his crusade, and we know he doesn't succeed in burning down the house.

Hopefully the show isn't done with him yet. But then again, he, much like Walt, was never supposed to last this long. Maybe his "cancer" is back as well.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #55
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't see how anyone can _not_ be rooting for Walt here. And why would Jessie coming to realize anything about the ricin being lifted from his pocket, even under Walt's direction, connect anything to the kid who was poisoned? The kid's poisoning wasn't by ricin. It's still explainable. Jessie's the one betraying Walt now, and at times he was on the path before, too. Through the entire association, Walt has protected and treated Jessie as if he were his own kid. Much of the bad Walt has ever done to others was to get Jessie out of some jam he'd gotten into... not necessarily entirely Jessie's fault, but sometimes it was.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #56
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I don't see how anyone can _not_ be rooting for Walt here.
http://www.businessinsider.com/new-f...rowing-2012-12

http://klyker.com/terrifying-faces-of-meth-45-photos/

Walt is a meth cook

how can you possibly root for him
jamesl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:45 AM   #57
john4200

Quote:
I don't see how anyone can _not_ be rooting for Walt here. And why would Jessie coming to realize anything about the ricin being lifted from his pocket, even under Walt's direction, connect anything to the kid who was poisoned? The kid's poisoning wasn't by ricin. It's still explainable. Jessie's the one betraying Walt now, and at times he was on the path before, too. Through the entire association, Walt has protected and treated Jessie as if he were his own kid. Much of the bad Walt has ever done to others was to get Jessie out of some jam he'd gotten into... not necessarily entirely Jessie's fault, but sometimes it was.
I agree with most of what you have said, although when Walt poisoned the kid with the flower, that was when I could no longer sympathize with him. Some people just hate anyone involved in creating, distributing, or selling drugs. I have no problem with such consensual transactions. But I have a big problem with deliberately dosing a child with poison.

What I have a hard time understanding is why people continue to think Jesse is a victim or an okay guy. As you said, Walt has spent much of the entire show cleaning up Jesse's messes -- a lot of the violence Walt has done was to fix Jesse's screw ups. Gus would have had Jesse killed early on if Walt had not protected him. And then later Jesse started making friends with Gus and Mike when the two of them were planning to kill Walt. Maybe Jesse did not intend it, but that was a betrayal of Walt. Also, it does not get much lower than going to narcotics anonymous meetings for the sole purpose of dealing drugs to the attendees.

I don't care much for Hank either. Not only is he incompetent at his job, he frequently breaks the law and abuses his power. Besides, his self-righteousness really gets on my nerves considering that he is part of the whole "war on drugs" bureaucracy that is as responsible for much of the drug-related violence as are the people who commit the violent acts.

I hope that Walt, Jesse, and Hank all have bad things happen to them. They all deserve it.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:01 AM   #58
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
Meth is what the "war on drugs," and, in general, the nanny state, has created... as each popular drug being used by consenting adults is attacked and distribution affected, a new drug comes along to take its place... usually one cheaper, and more addictive, than what it replaces.

Walt makes an amazingly clean meth, and does so with the precision of a chemist and the care of an artisan. He's actually producing a consistent, pure drug that would be considered pharmaceutical quality.

People make bad choices for themselves, sometimes. In a free society, that is actually as valuable a right as any other.

In one very simple fell swoop it's possible to drastically reduce crime, making just about everyplace safer for everyone, reduce extraordinarily high incarceration rates leading to a more productive economy, practically eliminate the violence associated with drug cartels, save multi billions of dollars, at least, annually, and, well, a whole host of other benefits, effectively truly winning the war on drugs by eliminating the warmongers of that war, recognizing individual liberties, all by legalizing the consumption, sale and manufacture of recreational drugs, as well as providing a regulatory structure to ensure quality control and relative safety of the products.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:11 AM   #59
Peter000

Quote:
In one very simple fell swoop it's possible to drastically reduce crime, making just about everyplace safer for everyone, reduce extraordinarily high incarceration rates leading to a more productive economy, practically eliminate the violence associated with drug cartels, save multi billions of dollars, at least, annually, and, well, a whole host of other benefits, effectively truly winning the war on drugs by eliminating the warmongers of that war, recognizing individual liberties, all by legalizing the consumption, sale and manufacture of recreational drugs, as well as providing a regulatory structure to ensure quality control and relative safety of the products.
:clap. clap. clap.:

Nice soapbox. Where's the data and proof to back it up? And I'm not talking just wishful or theoretical thinking.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:17 AM   #60
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Where's the data and proof to back it up? And I'm not talking just wishful or theoretical thinking.
Wrong question. Where is the "data and proof" that all of our money that the government has spent on the "war on drugs" has done more good than harm?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote