TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
bmgoodman

Current state of padding

It seems there are a number of threads about padding shows, with posts of various ages. It looks like some problems that were fixed in one Tivo iteration were "unfixed" subsequently.

So, as the software functions right now, if I pad a bunch of shows by 1 minute, what should I expect to happen?
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
kbmb

Typically, if you are padding shows that are back to back on the same channel, the Tivo will use a single tuner and then split the show via software. What ends up happening is there will be a few seconds glitch (pixelation, video freeze) in the second (3rd, 4th, etc) recordings about 1 minute into the program.

The other thing that can happen is, something in the Tivo software will actually cause one of those back to back recordings to be missed. If you look in the history it will say the show is No Longer in Guide, which is not true. This doesn't always happen though.

We've been told it will be fixed (or maybe just turned off) in the next update in March/April.

I've missed a bunch of shows because of this, so I'm back to not padding for now (and of course running the risk of missing a bit at the end).

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

To expand slightly upon kbmb's answer, with my own observations:

1) Overlapping shows on the same channel now use a single tuner (eg, the same tuner). And of course, the only way shows can overlap is if they are padded.

2) At the moment that the first show stops recording, you will see a slight glitch (pixellation dance) in the second show's recording. Typically that's one minute on, but it will be whatever you pad by.

3) If you go to the To-Do List , the second show will show as not recording until the first show has stopped recording. And the Now Playing will not show it as a recording in progress until the first show has stopped recording. Until you are aware of this bug, it will drive you frantic if you're OCD on checking shows in progress.

4) If the padding on the first show completely overlaps the second show, the second show will not record at all, and History for the second show displays "No Longer in Guide" (or maybe "Not Available", one of these two). This happens to me 100% of the time there is a full show overlap, whereas others say it is erratic in behavior. Nonetheless, I have eliminated 100% overlapping recordings until this is fixed. (Which was mainly Sunday night shows, thank you football.)

The bug kbmb mentions about sequential overlapping shows not recording does not happen to me with any regularity or pattern. But some have mentioned it. Note that he is referring to shows that only partially overlap having this problem. A full overlap causes the problem I mention in #4 above.

Anywhere I refer to a second show, this could also mean a third or fourth show if you have multiple pads on sequential shows on the same channel.

What's odd is that these bugs were introduced late last year with one of the first Roamio updates, when they rolled out the "use one tuner for overlapping recordings" feature. And at first, before we knew about the bugs, we were thrilled. But very quickly the bugs started appearing, and TiVo rolled out another update very quickly, that removed this feature. Then in the latest update, the big 20.3.8, it was back in. Probably a code management mistake left it in.

Ok, I think that's it.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

thanks for the detail, astrohip! i was about to add padding to an sp, but stopped in my tracks, not sure what would happen after reading the posts since this started. you cleared it up nicely.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
humbb

I concur, thanks astrohip for the detail. To clarify though, for the behavior you describe, is this only for ad hoc pad(s) of individual recording(s)? Or will this happen similarly if you include the padding in the Season Pass(es)?
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

2) At the moment that the first show stops recording, you will see a slight glitch (pixellation dance) in the second show's recording. Typically that's one minute on, but it will be whatever you pad by.
Have you noticed that you don't get the full pad on the first show? I keep any overlap padding to one minute, but I seem to only get about 36 seconds. I then see the glitch at the 36 second mark of the second show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbb View Post
I concur, thanks astrohip for the detail. To clarify though, for the behavior you describe, is this only for ad hoc pad(s) of individual recording(s)? Or will this happen similarly if you include the padding in the Season Pass(es)?

For me, it happens regardless of how/when I pad.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #7
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbb View Post
Everything I typed above is for Season Passes. 99% of what I record is my SPs, so my experience is with that. However, there is no reason to think it's not the same (as CG above confirms).

Ad hoc recordings are usually one-off shows that catch my eye. They are rarely on my regular channels, and probably (in my case) never cause an overlap with a pre-existing scheduled recording. FWIW, any one time recording I create I always pad, as cable channels seem to have a problem ending at the proper time.

One thing I just realized I forgot to address: When you have an SP, and you manually extend a single recording (pad just one recording, as versus changing the SP permanently). I don't ever do that, but there are threads here that discuss that. I believe it not only adds the pad you want, it creates a second recording at the same time. Maybe someone more familiar with this can flesh out this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Have you noticed that you don't get the full pad on the first show? I keep any overlap padding to one minute, but I seem to only get about 36 seconds. I then see the glitch at the 36 second mark of the second show.
I'll have to check. The main reason I pad is for the 3-5 seconds a show runs over (10-15 for NBC & FOX). So I rarely need the full minute. Unless it's FX, where I pad 5 minutes since they don't understand the clock at all.

But I've never noticed how long the overlap actually is. I will now. (Like I needed one more thing to be OCD about.)
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote