TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #1
GeoPea

Roamio With Tuning Adapter

Hi. I have a Roamio and i'm thinking of getting a tuning adapter from Cablevision, so i can watch MLB Extra Innings on the Tivo.

I've read a lot of stories about the reliability of the TA's. So my question is, if the TA fails in some way, will that completely stop the Tivo from functioning, or would it only affect the channels that the TA is needed for? (SDV channels)

Thanks, George

GeoPea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #2
tarheelblue32

When you connect a tuning adapter to a TiVo, it completely takes over the job of channel mapping from the CableCard, so if something goes wrong with the tuning adapter, it can potentially prevent you from tuning any channel, not just the SDV ones. But all you have to do is unplug the tuning adapter from the TiVo and the CableCard takes over again.

There are a lot of tuning adapter horror stories, but I haven't really had any problems with my tuning adapter in over a year, since a firmware update. If you want the channels that require a tuning adapter, then you should give it a try.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPea View Post
Hi. I have a Roamio and i'm thinking of getting a tuning adapter from Cablevision, so i can watch MLB Extra Innings on the Tivo.

I've read a lot of stories about the reliability of the TA's. So my question is, if the TA fails in some way, will that completely stop the Tivo from functioning, or would it only affect the channels that the TA is needed for? (SDV channels)

Thanks, George
is extra innings the only thing on SDV?

ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:39 PM   #4
GeoPea

"is extra innings the only thing on SDV?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No, there are other types of programming, but MLB is the only thing i'm interested in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"When you connect a tuning adapter to a TiVo, it completely takes over the job of channel mapping from the CableCard, so if something goes wrong with the tuning adapter, it can potentially prevent you from tuning any channel, not just the SDV ones. But all you have to do is unplug the tuning adapter from the TiVo and the CableCard takes over again."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if the tuning adapter screws up when i'm out, and i have shows set to record, i guess the Tivo is out of commission until i get home.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:49 AM   #5
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPea View Post
But if the tuning adapter screws up when i'm out, and i have shows set to record, i guess the Tivo is out of commission until i get home.
Yeah, pretty much. But if it makes you feel any better, my tuning adapter hasn't failed like that in over a year.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
jamesteixeira

Mine fails monthly. Sometimes the light is blinking indicating failure, sometimes it is not blinking and I don't find out it has failed until I watch something on the roamio. I usually watch using mini's.

jamesteixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #7
Rugged Ron

Considering This...

I read this somewhere, so it isn't my original idea, but I have been considering installing a 7-day digital timer on the Roamio and Tuning Adapter, set to reboot both devices weekly. The only reason I haven't done it yet is because my Roamio and TA have been very reliable, so I haven't really seen the need. The Roamio was new in January, and since then I have only rebooted it once, along with the TA, when I was doing some troubleshooting on a Mini. I think I additionally rebooted the TA one time. So, until I start having more problems, I'll put the timer idea on hold. Time Warner, Columbus, OH.

Rugged Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:38 PM   #8
hfreiman

Cablevision and Tuning Adaptor

If you do use the tuning adaptor with cablevision, do you have to use the 700 channels for HD or can you put in the regular channel, i.e. 2, and get HD like you can do without the cable card?

hfreiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #9
GeoPea

On my system, Cablevision in central NJ, i still have to use the 700 channels on the Tivo to get the HD versions.

Also, i was the original poster in this thread, asking about the reliability of tuning adapters. I'm happy to say i've now had one for about 6 months, with no issues.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:28 AM   #10
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfreiman View Post
If you do use the tuning adaptor with cablevision, do you have to use the 700 channels for HD or can you put in the regular channel, i.e. 2, and get HD like you can do without the cable card?
For TWC here in Los Angeles, the HD mapping onto the lower channels works for both cable cards and tuning adapters in the same manner. It would surprise but not flabbergast me if CableVision were to be different.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote