TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 160 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #1141
blacknoi

Not sure if its exactly related, but over the past week or so, I'll be watching a channel I get, then all of a sudden it will freeze, and then say I'm not authorized to watch this channel.

The fix is go channel up then back to the original channel I was watching and its OK again.

I have tivo suggestions turned off as well as having all channels I dont subscribe to hidden from my channel guide.

I'm at a loss as to why this is happening MID-viewing of the channel in question.

Is there a way to tell which tuner I'm using (like if its #5 or #6) to watch a given channel?
Old 07-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #1142
jrock

I had to disable tuner 5 and 6 it got so bad. No problems at all since I have done that other than now I can only record 4 shows at once. I am on that comcast thread that was linked above and many people in there have been getting the update from ComcastTeds. I'm still waiting for mine but he says they are working on it.

It seems TiVo customer support and Comcast customer support know nothing about this issue or how to fix it. The problem is the firmware is not live and no matter how many cards you swap out you won't get one with the new firmware on it from comcast. They are just starting to roll out the new version in certain markets but I guess the new version has issues with other devices (non tivo ones) so its fixing one problem for them but creating another.

I saw a thread that they are coming out with a new non cable card TiVo that does software authentication instead of using a cable card with comcast. I guess in the future that will fix the issue but probably will need to buy a next gen TiVo for that
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #1143
jonra

thanks for the info jrock. If i don't get the 1101 firmware update I will switch to 4 tuners as well. I have already posted & PMed on the comcast - Re: Cisco Firmware 1.5.3.1101 board and we'll see if he pushes it out to me.

Obviously 6 tuners are not ready for prime time on comcast. I now wish I had kept my 3 tivo HDs - at least they received all the stations & never missed a recording.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #1144
jonra

Success! As instructed here I messaged ComcastTeds at the comcast board this morning. He messaged back a couple hours later that, "I have submitted the request for your cablecard. Thanks for your patience." 5 minutes later my cablecard was updating the firmware & I just checked and I am now on 1.5.3 1101

Thanks Ted & everyone on this board that helps...
Old 07-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #1145
jrock

Woohoo I just checked mine and I got mine too!! ComcasTeds is the man!! Anyone with this problem contact him and he will fix it!!
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #1146
kdoohan

I've had this problem for the past month and found the answer in these forums. thanks so much!

I'm a Charter Cable Malibu, CA customer with a TiVo Roamio Pro and three TiVo Minis. Once I hooked up the Minis, I discovered that the 6th tuner wasn't working. Two service calls and I felt that I was getting the runaround from Charter blaming TiVo. Finally I found these forums and saw posts that helped.

Problem is the CableCard firmware.
CABLEcard firmware needs to be 1.5.2.2801 or later as indicated at the link below
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2566/
On 3rd call, the tech brought a NEWER CABLEcard than I had installed and presto. 6th tuner works.

Don't take no for an answer Charter customers. Demand a newer CABLEcard. My current one is PKEY1.5.3.1101 and is working perfectly. Charter has them. It just isn't easy to find someone there who understands the problem.
kdoohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #1147
pshivers
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoohan View Post
I've had this problem for the past month and found the answer in these forums. thanks so much!

I'm a Charter Cable Malibu, CA customer with a TiVo Roamio Pro and three TiVo Minis. Once I hooked up the Minis, I discovered that the 6th tuner wasn't working. Two service calls and I felt that I was getting the runaround from Charter blaming TiVo. Finally I found these forums and saw posts that helped.

Problem is the CableCard firmware.
CABLEcard firmware needs to be 1.5.2.2801 or later as indicated at the link below
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2566/
On 3rd call, the tech brought a NEWER CABLEcard than I had installed and presto. 6th tuner works.

Don't take no for an answer Charter customers. Demand a newer CABLEcard. My current one is PKEY1.5.3.1101 and is working perfectly. Charter has them. It just isn't easy to find someone there who understands the problem.

Glad you were able to get your firmware problem resolved. Charter only recently received a number of brand new CableCards, according to the Techs the new cards all have PKEY1.5.3.1101 on them. BTW PKEY1.5.3.1101 is the minimum firmware release your will need to correct the 6 tuner problem despite what Tivo says on their website, (1.5.2.2801). Before Charter got their new batch of Cards in it was a crap-shoot if their offices would even have a cablecard available for their customers here in Sunny Southern California...
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

pshivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #1148
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
Glad you were able to get your firmware problem resolved. Charter only recently received a number of brand new CableCards, according to the Techs the new cards all have PKEY1.5.3.1101 on them. BTW PKEY1.5.3.1101 is the minimum firmware release your will need to correct the 6 tuner problem despite what Tivo says on their website, (1.5.2.2801). Before Charter got their new batch of Cards in it was a crap-shoot if their offices would even have a cablecard available for their customers here in Sunny Southern California...
PKEY1.5.3._0601 is actually the bare minimum to get all 6 tuners and will also work. TiVo updated their software a generation or two ago which allowed the unit to attempt re-tunes on channels that initially didn't tune the channel correctly. This TiVo patch worked quite well as a stopgap until the MSOs got their acts together and updated CC FW.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:44 AM   #1149
ljknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
Woohoo I just checked mine and I got mine too!! ComcasTeds is the man!! Anyone with this problem contact him and he will fix it!!
ComcastTeds updated my CC firmware.
What a guy!
ljknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:22 AM   #1150
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Cox Arizona Firmware Update

Cox Arizona updated the Cisco CC Firmware this morning.

The new build is OS Version PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1301 - Build Apr 4 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:28 AM   #1151
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post

Your sig needs updating, then.

I wonder if/when it hits the southern NV Cox market...
Old 07-30-2014, 04:30 AM   #1152
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Your sig needs updating, then.

I wonder if/when it hits the southern NV Cox market...
Done

I hope a Tuning Adapter firmware update is next ???

Since Cox Las Vegas is now under the management of Cox Arizona, I would assume it will happen very soon.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 07-30-2014 at 04:35 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:54 AM   #1153
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Done

I hope a Tuning Adapter firmware update is next ???

Since Cox Las Vegas is now under the management of Cox Arizona, I would assume it will happen very soon.
I was thinking the same thing. I think the TAs need newer firmware, more than the cablecards, since I'm running all 4-tuner Roamios, and I think the TAs are still on the same firmware as when I picked them up (new).

I'm a bit worried about when (the time of day/night) they'll roll it. Due to conflicts, I have things that record in the 1-3AM slot they use when being considerate (smart) about rollouts.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #1154
deepthinker

Called Charter - Wish Me Luck

I called and explained the situation. I even gave the CSR the link to the TiVo site showing the required firmware version etc. and that it is a known issue. She pulled it up and saw it for herself while we were on the phone together. She then took down very detailed information, put me on hold, and then said she was sending it to her supervisor who be should calling me back. Guess we'll see. Hopefully it doesn't take going the FCC complaint route as a lot of other folks have had to do.

Previously
2 DirecTiVo's
2 TiVo HD's
2 Premieres, Returned, as they were buggy garbage when they first came out.
deepthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #1155
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:

Cox southern NV rolled it at 2AM near the beginning of this week. As usual, I had a conflict replay recording at that time and lost it. Upon completion, everything was bricked until a full power-cycle reboot. Their own equipment can reboot itself. TiVo users have to hope they aren't out of town, or too busy not watching TV, to not notice the bricked state.

There was absolutely no TV-related functionality on any of mine, before my manual intervention (to define the "bricked until" part).

So far, I'm not impressed. In the lead-time before it, problems arose. They continued afterward. I'm getting a lot of "like as-if I had pressed a 3 second skip ahead button" issues, skipping back does not fix it.

It might have nothing to do with the cc firmware, since this kind of thing tends to always happen around their yearly "free" internet speed double lead-time, which they've been advertising. Any insight on this? The links they say to go to, in their excessive commercials on it, don't even mention it.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #1156
andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Cox southern NV rolled it at 2AM near the beginning of this week. As usual, I had a conflict replay recording at that time and lost it. Upon completion, everything was bricked until a full power-cycle reboot. Their own equipment can reboot itself. TiVo users have to hope they aren't out of town, or too busy not watching TV, to not notice the bricked state.

There was absolutely no TV-related functionality on any of mine, before my manual intervention (to define the "bricked until" part).

So far, I'm not impressed. In the lead-time before it, problems arose. They continued afterward. I'm getting a lot of "like as-if I had pressed a 3 second skip ahead button" issues, skipping back does not fix it.

It might have nothing to do with the cc firmware, since this kind of thing tends to always happen around their yearly "free" internet speed double lead-time, which they've been advertising. Any insight on this? The links they say to go to, in their excessive commercials on it, don't even mention it.
First time ever I'm seeing something like you describe. Happy to not say "I don't see this" to you..

I'm on Comcast.

I got 1.5.3.1201 recently and I do see spates of a brief pause and what looks like a 3 second or so FF. My older shows from back in early July show this a lot. I haven't caught up yet but live TV seems to do it a little less frequently now. It's just a tiny hiccup now where you don't necessarily see it but do hear the audio stutter a little. Rather than complain about it, it's better than getting the V58 error and losing the entire evenings recordings.

Didn't see it on 1.5.3.1101 which I managed to get via backdoor contacts a long time ago.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #1157
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
First time ever I'm seeing something like you describe. Happy to not say "I don't see this" to you..

I'm on Comcast.

I got 1.5.3.1201 recently and I do see spates of a brief pause and what looks like a 3 second or so FF. My older shows from back in early July show this a lot. I haven't caught up yet but live TV seems to do it a little less frequently now. It's just a tiny hiccup now where you don't necessarily see it but do hear the audio stutter a little. Rather than complain about it, it's better than getting the V58 error and losing the entire evenings recordings.

Didn't see it on 1.5.3.1101 which I managed to get via backdoor contacts a long time ago.
...and I'm not offended, or wondering WTF? You provided a possible reason why "you don't see this". You have Comcast; I have Cox. That's all I ever ask for, rather than simply saying it in a way that offers no further input as to why one person experiences something another doesn't.

Then you added some valid "it could be worse" input. You are right about that.

Now if a few others who always report the issues they don't have, would do it in the way you did, I'd often be in a much better mood.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #1158
andyf

Note I said "Happy to NOT say ...." since I did see something similar.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #1159
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
My bad. I missed one word, and it changed the whole context, as I read the rest. I wondered about the seemingly contradictory latter portion. But, am glad I didn't call you out on it, as I'd be completely wrong to have done so.

My eyes are still re-adjusting after hours of showing a family member how to use her new android phone... I probably look as cross-eyed as I feel...
Old 08-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #1160
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

"PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1301" cablecard firmware update - losing ALL channels on all Roamios

Quote:
I'm now on my third instance of losing ALL channels (no picture or sound), without ANY error message, and the only cure is rebooting all the Roamios (They all go down at the same time). Nothing exactly like this ever happened before the "PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1301" cablecard firmware update!

I tried multiple ways of trying to resolve it.

Disconnect & Reconnect:
USB to TA
Power to TA
Coax to TA
Coax to TiVo

HDUI reboot
Full TiVo reboot from menu - ONLY way to resolve it.

So, it has to be internal to the TiVo, or the cablecard within it (or some interaction between the two), right?

I don't find it to be coincidence that something this extreme starts after the firmware update, especially since this was the same state they were in after the update completed, until I rebooted them...

You were right! Things could be worse, like missed recordings, without an error code, or self-resolving, or any certainty of what exactly is going wrong/going on, and why. My comments about the pre/post update 3 second skips ahead are trivial, in comparison to this.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-10-2014 at 09:06 PM. Reason: added title
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #1161
deepthinker

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthinker View Post
I called and explained the situation. I even gave the CSR the link to the TiVo site showing the required firmware version etc. and that it is a known issue. She pulled it up and saw it for herself while we were on the phone together. She then took down very detailed information, put me on hold, and then said she was sending it to her supervisor who be should calling me back. Guess we'll see. Hopefully it doesn't take going the FCC complaint route as a lot of other folks have had to do.

After a lot of back and forth phone calls with Charter over the last month or so it finally ended up with a truck roll today. I actually ended up with a local tech that owns TiVo units (started with ReplayTV) and knew the issue well. I finally have all 6 tuners working!!! The guy just left. I can also confirm a lot of what Chas_M has also said in the Charter CC Firmware Upgrade thread about this issue with Charter in the Dallas-Fort Worth area in particular based on my conversations with the tech.

The tech that came to my house had been fully briefed on the situation beforehand by the CSR, who by the way never could get an answer on a solution from her people, fellow supervisors, managers, etc. But she kept sticking with it and calling me at least once a week to tell me she hadn't forgotten me(Kudos to her!!!). Anyway tech said he came with several CC's just to be safe. The two he brought into the house first were both the "green front faced colored" Scientific Atlanta branded PKM800 cards and when popped into my two units already had 1.5.3._F.p.1101 on them. It just took his calling to get them paired up and I was in business.

Now as for our conversations, remember he is also a TiVo owner, he said if anything goes wrong with either of these two cards he brought with the green colored front and I need a new one to make absolutely sure I get another green colored one to replace it. He wasn't using model numbers during our talk, but I knew what he meant. He flat out confirmed that the white colored front face Cisco/S.A. PKM803 cards have not nor does he know of any plan for them to get newer firmware. He said techs can't request certain firmware to be pushed to "any" card. The card will only get what the headend has loaded for that model and the PKM803, at least here in DFW on Charter, is stuck with 1.52_F.p.2401 for the foreseeable future.

In short, if you have the tuner issue with Charter cable here in Dallas-Fort Worth, have a Cisco/S.A. model PKM803 card, and don't have a local store nearby to go to and demand a PKM800 card, then you'll have to hit up the CSR's to get a truck roll explicitly stating the tech has to bring a model PKM800 card or he/she will be wasting a trip.

Oh and one last thing, hope and pray they have a PKM800 at all, because the tech here today told me these PKM800 ones have been hard to come by lately. He said he rarely gets calls for needing them except for the occasional random Roamio Plus/Pro owner like myself.

This thread and possibly the Charter CC Firmware Upgrade really should be stickied to the top of the Roamio forum.

Previously
2 DirecTiVo's
2 TiVo HD's
Old 09-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #1162
deepthinker

Follow Up of "Old" Cards versus "New"

Here is what I had before and after the tech came today for the reference of others.

"OLD" Cards with tuner issue
CableCARD# 1
Card Manufacturer= Cisco (White colored front with logo)
Model= PowerKEY Multi-Stream Model PKM803
Hardware Version= HW 1.0F
Manufacture Date= 11/04/2011
Firmware Version= FKEY1.52_F.p.2401

CableCARD# 2
Manufacture Date= 07/08/2011

"NEW" Cards with working 6 Tuners
CableCARD# 1
Card Manufacturer= Scientific Atlanta (Green color front, no Cisco, just S.A. logo)
Model= PowerKEY Multi-Stream Model PKM800
Hardware Version= HW 1.2F
Manufacture Date= 06/07/2007
Firmware Version= FKEY1.53_F.p.1101

CableCARD# 2
Card Manufacturer= Scientific Atlanta (Green color front, no Cisco, just S.A. logo)
Manufacture Date= 07/27/2007

How f'ing stupid is it of Charter that I needed two CC's 4 years older made in 2007 to get newer software to enable all 6 tuners versus the two newer CC's made in 2011??? This still just baffles me.

Previously
2 DirecTiVo's
2 TiVo HD's
Old 09-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #1163
AdamNJ

Quote:
Here is what I had before and after the tech came today for the reference of others.

"OLD" Cards with tuner issue
CableCARD# 1
Manufacture Date= 11/04/2011

CableCARD# 2
Manufacture Date= 07/08/2011

"NEW" Cards with working 6 Tuners
CableCARD# 1
Manufacture Date= 06/07/2007

CableCARD# 2
Manufacture Date= 07/27/2007

How f'ing stupid is it of Charter that I needed two CC's 4 years older made in 2007 to get newer software to enable all 6 tuners versus the two newer CC's made in 2011??? This still just baffles me.

It's all about the firmware. The manufacture date doesn't matter...I'm sure the internals of the cards at are the same. They could have easily pushed the newer firmware to your "old" cards as cablevision did last year.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #1164
deepthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
It's all about the firmware. The manufacture date doesn't matter...I'm sure the internals of the cards at are the same. They could have easily pushed the newer firmware to your "old" cards as cablevision did last year.
Oh yeah, I have no doubt that this is just another cable company doing crap that makes no sense, as I've see a post of someone on TWC with a PKM803 card having the newer software. I just posted all that for those that wanted a reference etc. and was meant more specifically for those that might see this later that live in the DFW area using Charter. ;-)

Previously
2 DirecTiVo's
2 TiVo HD's
Old 09-25-2014, 12:29 AM   #1165
HarperVision

Quote:
Oh yeah, I have no doubt that this is just another cable company doing crap that makes no sense, as I've see a post of someone on TWC with a PKM803 card having the newer software. I just posted all that for those that wanted a reference etc. and was meant more specifically for those that might see this later that live in the DFW area using Charter. ;-)
I have FW 1101 on an 803 card using TWC, so it's certainly possible.

I thought I heard here at some point it was because the 803 cards were being reserved for their own STBs and the older ones were used to give to customers with retail Cablecard tuners like TiVo, Moxi, Ceton, Silicon Dust, etc.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:13 AM   #1166
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Cox (in my market) used to only use PKM802 cards in their own leased equipment, and only issue PKM800 cards for retail device users.

At some point they started randomly handing out both cards to retail users, and trying to get one of their STBs which had the PKM802 cards, became nearly impossible. They were desirable, because they were the first STBs to have a HDMI output in my market, rather than DVI.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #1167
tim1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I have FW 1101 on an 803 card using TWC, so it's certainly possible.

I thought I heard here at some point it was because the 803 cards were being reserved for their own STBs and the older ones were used to give to customers with retail Cablecard tuners like TiVo, Moxi, Ceton, Silicon Dust, etc.
oh, of course it's possible.

It's just Charter being stupid. (big surprise to everyone I'm sure) For some unknown reason they just refuse to upgrade the firmware on PK803 cards.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #1168
t1voproof

I filed a FCC complaint regarding this issue. Comcast offered me a $20 credit for the hassle. It's pretty easy to file a complaint with the FCC. http://www.fcc.gov/complaints
t1voproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:43 AM   #1169
gmacted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1724 View Post
oh, of course it's possible.

It's just Charter being stupid. (big surprise to everyone I'm sure) For some unknown reason they just refuse to upgrade the firmware on PK803 cards.
Not true. I convinced Charter to upgrade the firmware on my Cisco 803 CableCard back in April (2014). Trust me when I say it wasn't easy, but they did it.

Cisco Cable Card HW: 0803 Ver. 0010

Firmware: PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101, Jun 6 2013, 16:26:59
gmacted is online now   Reply With Quote