TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Jetspeedz

New Tivo customer Buying Roamio Plus and 2 Mini, Tips, Pros & cons?

Hi everyone, after years of paying monthly for TWC. I have decided to buy a Roamio Plus and 2 Mini tomorrow. I have Cat 6 throughout the house and I have a Netgear R7000 modem and 2 Dlink switches.

Are there any cons to having this setup at all and anything in particular I should watch out far. I'm an advanced network user just new to Tivo. Will play around with QoS settings but for now I just want to know more about the Tivo and Mini playing nice with each other and any issues to be concerned with.

For now the 1TB drive should do fine, but I might consider upgrade in the future although we don't store that many shows as is. Considering the upgrade is it as simple as installing a new HD and the firmware will update the drive or would I need to do more than a simple plug and play swap?

Thanks
Jetspeedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:40 AM   #2
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetspeedz View Post
Hi everyone, after years of paying monthly for TWC. I have decided to buy a Roamio Plus and 2 Mini tomorrow. I have Cat 6 throughout the house and I have a Netgear R7000 modem and 2 Dlink switches.

Are there any cons to having this setup at all and anything in particular I should watch out far. I'm an advanced network user just new to Tivo. Will play around with QoS settings but for now I just want to know more about the Tivo and Mini playing nice with each other and any issues to be concerned with.

For now the 1TB drive should do fine, but I might consider upgrade in the future although we don't store that many shows as is. Considering the upgrade is it as simple as installing a new HD and the firmware will update the drive or would I need to do more than a simple plug and play swap?

Thanks
Should all be good. You can use Moca instead of your cat6 network if you have coax at the location of each Mini.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:23 AM   #3
Jetspeedz

Thanks, since i have copper already wired in I'll go that route. I don't suppose there is any speed advantage going moca over ethernet?
Old 12-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Yeah, the netgear r7000 is not a modem it's a router. While I'm not familiar with it any gigabit wireless AC router should be fine. You obviously own your router, are you paying twc to lease your modem?
----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
The Merg
1*

The one main advantage to using MOCA is that when you're streaming from the Roamio to your Minis it will keep that traffic on the MOCA network and off your home network.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
Jetspeedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
Yeah, the netgear r7000 is not a modem it's a router. While I'm not familiar with it any gigabit wireless AC router should be fine. You obviously own your router, are you paying twc to lease your modem?
My mistake I have a Motorola SB modem and r7000 router yes i own both
Old 12-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
Jetspeedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Merg View Post
The one main advantage to using MOCA is that when you're streaming from the Roamio to your Minis it will keep that traffic on the MOCA network and off your home network.

- Merg

What kind of bandwidth does the mini saturate the network with when streaming and idle?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
The Merg
1*

Quote:
What kind of bandwidth does the mini saturate the network with when streaming and idle?

Thanks

When the Mini is not being used for Live TV or watching a recording, I would assume that it's use on the network would be pretty minimal. The only thing I could see it doing is when it needs to update guide data or connect back to the Roamio to make sure it's still attached.

As for how much bandwidth it uses when it is streaming a recording or Live TV, I don't know. I suppose one of the more technical people here have already figured that out.

- Merg

Old 12-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
trip1eX

Quote:
Thanks, since i have copper already wired in I'll go that route. I don't suppose there is any speed advantage going moca over ethernet?
Nope. It plays tv at the same speed.

Ok seriously, I only used MOCA because it was there and because I could and because I wanted to test it out. I didn't sense any less responsiveness in the menus over MOCA than over Ethernet and it plays tv fine so I've stuck with it. It's just extra bandwidth that you might as well take advantage of if it's there or so I figure.

Last edited by trip1eX : 12-20-2014 at 01:18 PM.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
waynomo
My One Time

I would do the HD upgrade ASAP unless you don't mind loosing your shows when you do swap drives. Since you're on TWC, you can't transfer anything to your PC. There are ways to copy the drive, but it's easier to do it now.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #11
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
There are ways to copy the drive, but it's easier to do it now.
And expand? On a Roamio? Since when?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #12
Jetspeedz

Thanks everyone, I just picked up two brand new Mini from a dealer and the Roamio Plus is on its way. The dealer said to stick with ethernet since I already have it wired in. Hopefully it all turns out good. He did mention to get the tuner from TWC along with the cable card so I'll be dealing with TWC soon.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #13
Bigg

Upgrade the drive when you get it. No need for QoS, it will work fine over Ethernet if you don't have coax available. If you do have coax, go ahead and use MoCA to keep it separate from your LAN.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:10 PM   #14
Jetspeedz

Thanks, I will need to do some testing and analysis on how much of a footprint it leaves on the LAN. Since I'm replacing the Mini with Slingbox/Catcher the cabling is already there, it would actually take more effort to run over coax.