TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
vorghath

New Roamio on its way

Hi all

Trying not to hijack anyone thread but I have read the discussion on Copy Priemere drive to Romio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrillChef View Post
I currently have a Preimere Elite, that when I first got it I upgraded to a full 2TB drive.

I decided to take advantage of the Thanksgiving special and grab a TiVo Romio Plus for $99.

Although obviously it has a smaller Hard drive, and can only record about 150hrs of HD programing.

Before... I just copied the old drive to the new drive and expanded it! Of course this worked. I can't remember what software I used to copy and expand. but I have it around somewhere...

So my question are these...

1. Can I use that same software to copy the new drive in the romio to a larger hard drive? And what is the largest drive I can put in the Romio without extra "work". Is it a 3TB or a 4TB?

2. Can I just put the priemere drive into the Romio?

3. Can I copy the Premere drive to a newer drive and enlarge it, then put it in the Romio?

4. Is there a way to backup and save and move the content from one drive to another drive outside the TiVo?
my problem is a little different I have a premier and a S3 I would like to take the cable card from the premier and use it in my Roamio. I don't want to get another cable card just to set up the new Roamio.

I would like to transfer programs from my old unit to the new one. Can this be done before setup is complete? If I remember correctly from my Premier unit it forced me to set everything up including the cable card install before anything else could be done. That was a couple of years ago and this old man just can not remember

Thanks for you anticipated help
vorghath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

You can do what you want, just skip the cablecard portion of guided set up. When you move the card, you just have to get it paired again with the new box.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
vorghath

Ok, so I open new box, plug in new roamio skip set up and of course plug it into my network, go to my premier find the roamio and start transfering programs then when that is done I can remove the cable card from the Premier and put it in the roamio then call comcast to pair the cc.

I guess I'm worrying about nothing. seems straight forward to me. thanks for the help.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorghath View Post
Ok, so I open new box, plug in new roamio skip set up and of course plug it into my network, go to my premier find the roamio and start transfering programs then when that is done I can remove the cable card from the Premier and put it in the roamio then call comcast to pair the cc.

I guess I'm worrying about nothing. seems straight forward to me. thanks for the help.
You will have to complete Guided Setup, you'll just select an option to install the CableCard later. Once Guided Setup is complete, then you can transfer all the shows and then switch the CableCard when done.

And just to be clear, the CC doesn't need to be in the Premiere to transfer the shows off. I understand if you want to maintain Live TV and maintain the ability to record shows until the transfer is complete; It just seems like you may be incorrectly thinking the CC is required to stay in the Premiere in order to be able to transfer the shows.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Don't forget about Tivo service, it must be activated and sharing enabled on all boxes before you can transfer shows. The cable card is not involved in transfers.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
vorghath

Thank you for clearing things up
Old 12-03-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Bear in mind that it may take a day or two before both TiVos "know" that they are on the same account and network and that sharing is enabled.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:20 AM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Bear in mind that it may take a day or two before both TiVos "know" that they are on the same account and network and that sharing is enabled.
I just force Tivo connections all my Tivos when I had added a Roamio and got (Tivo to Tivo) transfers working to it in about 6 hrs.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote