TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

20.4.5 Release Notes

Sorry for the delay in sending out release notes. I had to finalize my Halloween costume first. Or wait for the Giants to win the World Series. Or wait for a press release to go out. It was one of those three things.

Here are some of the changes:
- There are improvements to streaming over poor connections. It is recommended that iOS users update to the 3.4 version of the TiVo App that was released earlier this week.
- Fixed some cases where audio was dropped going between full-screen video and menus.
- Fixed an issue related to launching a Web Video Hotlist show found through search.
- Fixed an issue related to occasional lack-of-audio in live TV or recordings.
- Fixed an issue where pressing the LIVE TV button while Netflix was buffering could cause a reboot.
- Fixed an issue where some WishLists weren’t recording on Premium Channels.
- Fixed the slow down of My Shows for those running SD Menus (Premiere only). This is the same fix that was in 20.4.4b.

Oh, and:
VUDU - stream TV shows and movies in beautiful 1080p, with access to your Ultraviolet library! (Roamio and Mini only)

And, since you’ve asked so nicely (for so long):
A shiny new Amazon Instant Video App with access to the Prime Instant Video, also in beautiful 1080p! (Roamio and Mini only)

At this time, I expect both VUDU and the new Amazon Instant Video app to be available on TiVo Premiere in the first half of 2015.

For those that signed up at http://tivo.com/priority, and your box has already updated to 20.4.5, I expect the apps to be available this evening.

If you were on the priority list before 9am PT this morning, we’re doing another sweep to authorize boxes for the update. Make a connection after 10:30am PT, and if you can download and install the update before 2pm PT, you should also get the apps today.

If you missed today’s sweep, you should see the apps within 48 hours after your box eventually updates to 20.4.5.

For those not on the priority list, I currently expect the full rollout to happen mid/late November.

—Margret

TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Diana Collins

Thanks Margaret!! (Hooray for the Giants!!!)

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
muzzymate

Thank you Margret, as always. Looking forward to the new apps.

muzzymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
Aero 1

interesting, Tivo is one of the very few Amazon streaming clients to do 1080p. nice.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
El Maestro

This update sounds like a real blockbuster! Thanks a lot. Any idea when the iOS app will be iOS 8 optimized (or at least adjusted for the display on the iPhone 6/Plus)?

El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
Jackamus

TC CLUB MEMBER
Finally.... Amazon.com prime and vudu

Old 10-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Suh-weet! I cain't hardly wait! I just got a new television which will properly display 24p with even cadence and my other 24p capable devices with VUDU and/or Amazon are WD TV Live Streaming and Panasonic DMP-BDT220, both kind of bothersome to use (only the BDT220 has an Amazon app and it's not 1080p capable; using it, you have to turn 24p on every time you start a streaming app ).

"
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
kbmb

Hot diggity dog! Thanks Margret.

Just to let you know, I don't think this fix worked:
- Fixed some cases where audio was dropped going between full-screen video and menus.

Still getting the audio blip (although it might be less) going between TV Tivo Central.

-Kevin

kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
I don't think this fix worked:
"some" is not the same as "all". All would be nice, but it is really great to see its on the bug list and getting active attention.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #10
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Maestro View Post
This update sounds like a real blockbuster! Thanks a lot. Any idea when the iOS app will be iOS 8 optimized (or at least adjusted for the display on the iPhone 6/Plus)?
+1!

Old 10-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
dbwilbur

This update is going to be amazing!

dbwilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #12
Bytez

Earlier than expected. Thanks so much.

Nothing about the higher quality streaming?

Old 10-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
davezatz
Funkadelic

Amen for Amazon! In 2014 I watch more Amazon Instant than linear TV or Netflix.

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #14
keenanSR

Hi Margret, any word on if either or both Amazon and Vudu will have a downloadable feature as Amazon did with the previous app and Vudu does with other devices or will it be strictly streaming only?

Thanks!

keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #15
tarheelblue32

*and the people rejoice*

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #16
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR View Post
Hi Margret, any word on if either or both Amazon and Vudu will have a downloadable feature as Amazon did with the previous app and Vudu does with other devices or will it be strictly streaming only?

Thanks!
Or if they'll be tied into the universal search like other providers like Hulu & Netflix?

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #17
innocentfreak

Quote:

Thanks!
I am wondering this also. As someone who vastly prefers downloading over streaming I was hoping I could download my UV library for playback. Or at least if the apps could use the local harddrive to buffer and cache the content allowing for seamless trickplay like when using MRS.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #18
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
The support article for Amazon says "Stream only" for "Amazon Instant Video with Prime" on Roamio. The support article for VUDU does not mention downloading; I'm doubting it. Do you know of any devices other than PS3 and LG BDP590 to which VUDU will download? (I don't have a PS4 but that seems likely since the PS3 app still has it). VUDU apps on nothing else that I own with a HDD has that feature (Xbox One, Xbox 360).

"
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts; 10-30-2014 at 01:00 PM.
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #19
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
The support article for Amazon says "Stream only" for "Amazon Instant Video with Prime" on Roamio. The support article for VUDU does not mention downloading; I'm doubting it.
Yes, I'm doubting it as well but figured it couldn't hurt to ask. I really like the DL option, it's really convenient to have those DL'ed shows in my NPL to select when ever I want over having to open the app to stream them, not to mention the possible/likely quality/navigation improvements of being downloaded. Some of the DL'ed Amazon 1080/24p content has looked excellent and I hope we don't lose that quality.

I have a PS3 and it's the only Vudu device I have that has the DL option, or did the last time I had it hooked up.

keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #20
abovethesink

So say I am late to the party and add myself to the priority list now. Is it too late for that to matter?

abovethesink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #21
bradleys
It'll be fine....

No, you can get on the list - it probably wont happen tonight, but you will get it sooner than later.

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #22
Joe Siegler

I asked Margret on Twitter if the new Amazon Prime Streaming & Vudu apps integrate with the Universal TiVo search, and her response was a simple:

Quote:
Absolutely
https://twitter.com/tivodesign/statu...90578302697472

w00t! If they were on there without integration it would have been seriously less cool!

Old 10-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #23
FitzAusTex

Under the Vudu portion of her post, Margret says only "Oh, and:
VUDU - stream TV shows and movies in beautiful 1080p, with access to your Ultraviolet library! (Roamio and Mini only)". With the care and wit she took to create the post, my guess is that she'd have said "or download".

FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #24
muzzymate

Since I'm at work, was a little bummed that I may miss the 2pm PT deadline to receive the new apps tonight but just remembered that KTTMG can be used to force a network connection and reboot. Update is installing now. Hooray!

muzzymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #25
kokishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
Under the Vudu portion of her post, Margret says only "Oh, and:
VUDU - stream TV shows and movies in beautiful 1080p, with access to your Ultraviolet library! (Roamio and Mini only)". With the care and wit she took to create the post, my guess is that she'd have said "or download".
Also, http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...2951/kw/20.4.5 states: The VUDU app for TiVo gives you streaming access to VUDU's library of movies and TV shows for rental or purchase.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #26
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzymate View Post
Since I'm at work, was a little bummed that I may miss the 2pm PT deadline to receive the new apps tonight but just remembered that KTTMG can be used to force a network connection and reboot. Update is installing now. Hooray!
I use that too, and I am home. Why walk across the house when you can do it from the computer you're already sitting at!

Old 10-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #27
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
I asked Margret on Twitter if the new Amazon Prime Streaming & Vudu apps integrate with the Universal TiVo search, and her response was a simple:

https://twitter.com/tivodesign/statu...90578302697472

w00t! If they were on there without integration it would have been seriously less cool!
I just hope there's someway to separate out the items from Amazon that are Prime eligible vs. available for purchase/rent. Nearly everything out there shows the Amazon icon currently since nearly everything is available for purchase/rent from Amazon. I'm not interested in buying from Amazon. I'm hoping for a way to just show the amazon Prime items only in the universal search. Or at least show a separate logo for those items that eligible to be streamed for free with Prime.

NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #28
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Hot diggity dog! Thanks Margret.

Just to let you know, I don't think this fix worked:

Still getting the audio blip (although it might be less) going between TV Tivo Central.

-Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
"some" is not the same as "all". All would be nice, but it is really great to see its on the bug list and getting active attention.
Plus momentary blip is not necessarily the same as "dropped".

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #29
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
I just hope there's someway to separate out the items from Amazon that are Prime eligible vs. available for purchase/rent. Nearly everything out there shows the Amazon icon currently since nearly everything is available for purchase/rent from Amazon. I'm not interested in buying from Amazon. I'm hoping for a way to just show the amazon Prime items only in the universal search. Or at least show a separate logo for those items that eligible to be streamed for free with Prime.
Well, you can always deselect the one that isn't Prime, assuming they're separate apps. We'll find out tonight.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #30
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Well, you can always deselect the one that isn't Prime, assuming they're separate apps. We'll find out tonight.
It's a single app. Prime has its own section.

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote