TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
mickpetey

Best Multi Room Tivo Solution For This Situation

Here is the situation, my Mom's Direct TV Tivo died, and she is 70 years old and doesn't want anything new besides Tivo. However I think I have to get her to switch to Comcast so she can have Tivo which is a challenge in itself to explain. She is usually pretty good with technology, she figured out on her own how to transfer her tivo recordings to VHS and she brings them up to their lake home.

Here is my parent's current set up. 3 rooms with Direct TV DVR, 1 room Direct Tivo. So here are the current must haves by upgrading. 1 room must have Tivo dedicated to my mom's shows that she transfers to VHS. 2 rooms with a DVR, and the 3rd room dedicated to a DVR that has a slingbox hooked up to it.

I am trying to find the most hassle free solution, because I live 2 miles away and I have to go over there every time the tv goes out. I am not apposed to networking stuff but I am curious to see what solutions everyone can come up with...
mickpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
TC25D

1 TiVo Pro and 2 Minis
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickpetey View Post
Here is the situation, my Mom's Direct TV Tivo died, and she is 70 years old and doesn't want anything new besides Tivo. However I think I have to get her to switch to Comcast so she can have Tivo which is a challenge in itself to explain. She is usually pretty good with technology, she figured out on her own how to transfer her tivo recordings to VHS and she brings them up to their lake home.

Here is my parent's current set up. 3 rooms with Direct TV DVR, 1 room Direct Tivo. So here are the current must haves by upgrading. 1 room must have Tivo dedicated to my mom's shows that she transfers to VHS. 2 rooms with a DVR, and the 3rd room dedicated to a DVR that has a slingbox hooked up to it.

I am trying to find the most hassle free solution, because I live 2 miles away and I have to go over there every time the tv goes out. I am not apposed to networking stuff but I am curious to see what solutions everyone can come up with...
Are any of your mom's shows on premium channels? If not and your parents have a computer, have you broached the idea of transferring to DVDs rather than VHS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
1 TiVo Pro and 2 Minis
That's only 3 rooms and 6 tuners, 2 of which would not be available for recording, as opposed to 4 rooms and 8 tuners that are in place now. Also not sure it is necessary to spend the extra $200 for a Pro vs. a Plus as the only difference is a 3TB drive as opposed to a 1TB drive. Personally, I also don't like the idea of having a single point of failure.

What kind of budget are we talking about, both initial purchase and ongoing monthly?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Are any of your mom's shows on premium channels? If not and your parents have a computer, have you broached the idea of transferring to DVDs rather than VHS?

That's only 3 rooms and 6 tuners, 2 of which would not be available for recording, as opposed to 4 rooms and 8 tuners that are in place now. Also not sure it is necessary to spend the extra $200 for a Pro vs. a Plus as the only difference is a 3TB drive as opposed to a 1TB drive. Personally, I also don't like the idea of having a single point of failure.

What kind of budget are we talking about, both initial purchase and ongoing monthly?
OP: I re-read your requirements. Since each room needs a DVR, 4 Roamio Pluses or Pros, one in each room, minimum of 2 Roamios and 2 Minis.

Last edited by TC25D : 08-25-2013 at 02:42 PM.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Personally, I also don't like the idea of having a single point of failure.
Not trying to be the "Phrasing Nazi" here, but usually people are trying to reduce the possible points of failure, like deciding to not use an external DVR expander drive, since it adds a possible point of failure.

I think this is more of a "lack of redundancy" here, or a configuration where if that one DVR goes down, there is nothing available to use as a backup/temporary DVR, and the minis turn into bricks.

Glad you made me think about this. Maybe I'd rather stick with my many 2-tuner TiVos with 2TB each, than sell them all to get 1 unit, or even 2 with more tuners, and possibly be limited to a total of 3TB or 6TB total, where even one drive failure or TiVo down could be a major bummer.

What I already have also supports OTA concurrently, although I've never used it, even once, in all these years...
Old 08-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
soccergrunt

Quote:

I currently have DirecTV with one DTV DVR and one of the newer Tivo dvr (THR22 I think). I am looking into switching to Comcast with Tivo Roamio and saw your questions. You say that you are looking for the least hassle situation. Is the dead Tivo and old SD version? Why not replace the dead directtv Tivo with another one? they still offer the updated THR22. If she had the older standard def versions, they will add a $5.00/month charge for Tivo, but it seems like it would just be a swap out for you. The THR22 still uses the old Tivo interface. Now if she is looking for all the new tivo features you are on the right track with Comcast.
soccergrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Not trying to be the "Phrasing Nazi" here, but usually people are trying to reduce the possible points of failure, like deciding to not use an external DVR expander drive, since it adds a possible point of failure.
I said what I meant and I meant what I said. "Redundancy" would require that you not only have more than one TiVo but that you have enough spare recording capacity (tuners and space) to make up for the loss of a TiVo.

"Single point of failure" does not mean that it is the only possible point of failure, it just means that if there is a failure of that part of the system, the entire system becomes unusable. A system can have multiple single points of failure.

With one TiVo and multiple minis, losing that TiVo results in a complete loss of access - thus it is a single point of failure.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I said what I meant and I meant what I said. "Redundancy" would require that you not only have more than one TiVo but that you have enough spare recording capacity (tuners and space) to make up for the loss of a TiVo.

"Single point of failure" does not mean that it is the only possible point of failure, it just means that if there is a failure of that part of the system, the entire system becomes unusable. A system can have multiple single points of failure.

With one TiVo and multiple minis, losing that TiVo results in a complete loss of access - thus it is a single point of failure.
Wow, do we need to do some sort of TCF death-match skit, or what?

Chill, I actually benefitted from thinking about points-of-failure.

EDIT/ADD: I concede that point-of-failure can cut both ways, not just one.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-25-2013 at 05:24 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
mickpetey

No, I don't want to move her back in technology. It was quite a leap top get our to go from vhs to Tivo, but she hadn't looked back.

as far as a budget, I'm thinking about trying to find 3 used tivos or renting Comcast, and a new tivo for my mom. I'm also trying to get her to toss all her vhs, and transfer to an Ipad for theory lake home., however they don't have internet up north at the lake home....

Quote:

mickpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
lpwcomp

Quote:
No, I don't want to move her back in technology. It was quite a leap top get our to go from vhs to Tivo, but she hadn't looked back.
If that was in response to part of my post, then I'm not sure what you are referring to unless you misinterpreted my suggestion about DVDs. I wasn't suggesting that she use DVDs instead of a TIVo, I was suggesting she transfer recordings to computer and burn them to DVDs rather than recording to VHS,

Quote:
as far as a budget, I'm thinking about trying to find 3 used tivos or renting Comcast, and a new tivo for my mom. I'm also trying to get her to toss all her vhs, and transfer to an Ipad for theory lake home., however they don't have internet up north at the lake home....
I'm a bit confused. How many rooms are we talking about and how many domiciles. IOW, what do you need where? Is the lake home a separate place where she doesn't need a TiVo and currently all viewing is of VHS tape? Does the location where the TiVos would go have internet access?