TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
mccoady

Cancel & Renew at same price?

My son has a TiVo HD and is doing the month to month for $12.95. If he cancels it for now can he start up service again later on at the same price or will it be higher?
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The Series 3 and older Tivo will always have the monthly rate at $12.95 and Multiple Service discount (MSD) at $9.95. Premiere and Roamio are at 14.99/12.99 MSD.

This Tivo may be able to be put on lifetime for $99 but someone has to call Tivo and find out if its eligible.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
mccoady

I thought the TiVo HD was a Series 2?
Old 10-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Nope. S2 units are the SD only units with only one tuner. (Exception the S2DT) The TiVo HD is a second generation S3 unit that they released becaus the original S3 was way too expensive.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

It should say in the System Information what series it is, but basically if the Tivo service number and Tivo software number starts with 648, 652, 658, it is a Series 3. They record from cable and/or antenna without a cable or converter box and has 2 tuners, which record from analog and digital sources.

Series 2 are not even HD and only 1 model is a dual tuner (649). These are analog DVRs and require a converter box for Antenna (OTA) or a cable box. They also will only record in analog.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoady View Post
My son has a TiVo HD and is doing the month to month for $12.95. If he cancels it for now can he start up service again later on at the same price or will it be higher?
If he's had it in service for at least 3 years, he should be able to threaten to cancel (not actually cancel, just threaten to, so that he still has leverage) and get a lifetime subscription for it for $99.

Many others have done so, and there are several threads around here about it.

He may, however, have to play Customer Service Roulette, calling back several times until he gets a CSR that'll give him the deal or go get a supervisor that'll authorize the deal.

Once he cancels service, he has no leverage.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
mccoady

Yep you're right it's a Series 3 and he's had it for 7 years. We have DirecTV so he's just using the HD for local channels via OTA but lately our outside antenna reception has been spotty... we live in a rural area.

He already has a TiVo THR22 and was thinking about getting another one (if still available) to replace the HD. The initial cost would be about $200 and then $11 a month so cheaper than the $12.95 and better reception.

Something to consider now if he could get lifetime for $99. If he could he could still have option of going the THR22 route and not loose any leverage.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #8
jrtroo
User

Go for $99 lifetime. Then you don't need to worry about it, or can just sell it for ~200.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
mccoady

How would you go about approaching CS to get the $99 lifetime without actually having to quit?
Old 10-05-2014, 11:55 PM   #10
cannonz

Quote:
How would you go about approaching CS to get the $99 lifetime without actually having to quit?
Just ask if there is enough equity if he has had it for 7 years would certainty qualify.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
I'd call up, tell them you have whichever model Series 3 he has (TCD648250, TCD652160, or TCD658000) and are thinking about discontinuing the subscription and to transfer you to the retention people who try to talk you out of it, and whey you get them tell them you want the $99 lifetime deal everybody else is getting.

If you don't get anywhere, end the call politely and call back in a few hours and keep doing so until you get a CSR that'll give you the deal.

That's why it's called Customer Service Roulette.

No doubt they'll try to sell you a newer TiVo, but the only thing you should settle for other than $99 lifetime on that S3 is lifetime on that S3 for an even lower price.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
mccoady

Thanks guys as soon as I get time I'll give it a try!