TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Joe Siegler
Registered User
 
Joe Siegler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Garland, TX
Posts: 688
Question about Monthly Service

Looking at buying a Roamio (man that's a goofy name), and due to finances, I can't afford the lifetime to go with it (not right now, anyway). I'm thinking of going the monthly route for the time being until things clear up a bit. Given I have old boxes, I would qualify for MSD, so it would be $12.99 a month.

To that, the website talks about a one year commitment, and a $75 early termination fee. Does that apply if you then go during the year to lifetime?

If they just let you upgrade to lifetime at that point without a penalty, that might be the way to go for me.

Also, I vaguely remember some deal before where you'd pay something like $20 a month, and get the box, too? As I can't find that, I suspect that was something for Premiere that is no longer around?
__________________
Joe Siegler -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
bayern_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 192
The one year service minimum does not apply for lifetime subscriptions, so you could technically upgrade in a few months to the lifetime option.
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Joe Siegler
Registered User
 
Joe Siegler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Garland, TX
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
The one year service minimum does not apply for lifetime subscriptions, so you could technically upgrade in a few months to the lifetime option.
Tkx!

Any idea about the other thing, where you paid more per month, but didn't have a cost for the box itself as such?
__________________
Joe Siegler -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
mdscott
Registered User
 
mdscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Tkx! Any idea about the other thing, where you paid more per month, but didn't have a cost for the box itself as such?
I do not think that is currently "on the table" so to speak.

An additional option is found in a bit of fine print in the "Additional Terms and Restrictions" section of TiVo;s Service Plan descriptions: No commitment monthly service is available with the purchase of a new full-price TiVo device directly from TiVo.com (call 1-877-289-8486 for more information).
__________________
TiVo S3, XL4; Roamio
Mixed Wireless/Wired Net
mdscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
Joe Siegler
Registered User
 
Joe Siegler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Garland, TX
Posts: 688
I suppose I should call them. I've been a TiVo Customer now for 13 years, I wonder if that alone might carry some weight. Probably not, but it can't hurt to ask, I suppose.
__________________
Joe Siegler -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
bayern_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Tkx!

Any idea about the other thing, where you paid more per month, but didn't have a cost for the box itself as such?
To get the $20 a month, you would have to buy the box at "full retail" which is about $200 more (so Roamio Base would be $399.99 as opposed to $199.99). Although this was the case with the Premieres, I am not sure if Tivo offers this for the Roamio boxes at this point in time.
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
WhiskeyTango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
The one year service minimum does not apply for lifetime subscriptions, so you could technically upgrade in a few months to the lifetime option.
Not true. You can only get out of the 1 year commitment penalty free within the first 30 days. The early termination fee is the balance due on the rest of the 1 year commitment.

http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/polici...onditions.html
__________________
Keeping a job isn't about knowing how to do it, it's about knowing how to make everyone else believe you know how to do it.. --Choccy
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
Joe Siegler
Registered User
 
Joe Siegler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Garland, TX
Posts: 688
I just found out about that, I called them. They confirmed what was said above.

1) There's a 30 day period where I can get out of the month to month 1yr commitment.

2) He said "officially" their policy is to charge a termination fee for getting out of the 1yr monthly agreement. However, he said "they're usually pretty lenient" if you're investing into lifetime. So it's one of those "I can't officially say this will happen, but they'll likely not have a problem with that".

The guy on the phone also said the termination fee is designed mostly to deal with people who would turn their back on TiVo and cancel service completely.
__________________
Joe Siegler -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.

Last edited by Joe Siegler : 09-06-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post

2) He said "officially" their policy is to charge a termination fee for getting out of the 1yr monthly agreement. However, he said "they're usually pretty lenient" if you're investing into lifetime. So it's one of those "I can't officially say this will happen, but they'll likely not have a problem with that".
I would not count on that at all.
What is most likely is that you'll call in 6 months to upgrade to lifetime and they csr says "Yes, I can definitely help you with that" and they set it up and you think you have lifetime, but you won't actually get lifetime until you've paid for another 6 months of monthly service because that's what your contract is.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
mdscott
Registered User
 
mdscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I would not count on that at all.
What is most likely is that you'll call in 6 months to upgrade to lifetime and they csr says "Yes, I can definitely help you with that" and they set it up and you think you have lifetime, but you won't actually get lifetime until you've paid for another 6 months of monthly service because that's what your contract is.
It is called CSR roulette.
__________________
TiVo S3, XL4; Roamio
Mixed Wireless/Wired Net
mdscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
bayern_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Not true. You can only get out of the 1 year commitment penalty free within the first 30 days. The early termination fee is the balance due on the rest of the 1 year commitment.

http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/polici...onditions.html
Sorry to misinform, I was unaware. Just going off what a CSR told me (which I apparently should've taken with a grain of salt)
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,368
I called about this also. They said it was possible to go from monthly to lifetime within the commitment period and noted in my account. I also asked about the $99 lifetime and he said that is only on the premiere.

I also asked if he knew of any deals and said no.
__________________
Series 2 (80 hrs,PLS, Retired)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "S3HD")
Roamio, Oh Roamio!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
Joe Siegler
Registered User
 
Joe Siegler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Garland, TX
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I called about this also. They said it was possible to go from monthly to lifetime within the commitment period and noted in my account. I also asked about the $99 lifetime and he said that is only on the premiere.

I also asked if he knew of any deals and said no.
Yeah, they said because the box is so new that there aren't any deals available for it. He did suggest I check back around Christmastime, so I think I might ride out monthly if I go that way till around Christmas and see what's going on.
__________________
Joe Siegler -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #14
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Yeah, they said because the box is so new that there aren't any deals available for it. He did suggest I check back around Christmastime, so I think I might ride out monthly if I go that way till around Christmas and see what's going on.
I couldn't afford the $399 lifetime, so I might call back after 6 months to ask on the $99 and keep calling back every few months or so. I sure wish they have a plan to buy lifetime and pay it off monthly.
__________________
Series 2 (80 hrs,PLS, Retired)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "S3HD")
Roamio, Oh Roamio!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |