TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
corepuncher

Should I cancel Roku Order?

I bought the Roamio to record OTA channels (and to ditch DirecTV), but I also have on order a Chromecast and Roku.

I have tried Netflix and Hulu+ through our Wii and PS, but it's very slow which is why I ordered the Roku. However, I see that both Netflix and Hulu+ are now integrated nicely into the Roamio.

So my question is, to those who have a Roku3, is there any good reason to keep the Roku3 when it comes, or will I just find myself only using the Tivo b/c it's "right there" and integrated? Any advantages Roku has in regard to streaming that Roamio does not have? Thanks!
corepuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by corepuncher View Post
I bought the Roamio to record OTA channels (and to ditch DirecTV), but I also have on order a Chromecast and Roku.

I have tried Netflix and Hulu+ through our Wii and PS, but it's very slow which is why I ordered the Roku. However, I see that both Netflix and Hulu+ are now integrated nicely into the Roamio.

So my question is, to those who have a Roku3, is there any good reason to keep the Roku3 when it comes, or will I just find myself only using the Tivo b/c it's "right there" and integrated? Any advantages Roku has in regard to streaming that Roamio does not have? Thanks!
It depends own what else you need that the Roku has. For me, the TiVo doesn't have the other channels I enjoy like Plex, Amazon Prime, Vudu, and Crackle.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
corepuncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
It depends own what else you need that the Roku has. For me, the TiVo doesn't have the other channels I enjoy like Plex, Amazon Prime, Vudu, and Crackle.
I originally was thinking more along the lines of how fast it was or comparing interactivity, but, yeah now that I look, I see a lot more channels. Ok so I'll probably keep it then :-) And then Chromecast so I can watch ESPN3!
corepuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
ilovedvrs

the new tivo is fast like the roku 3.
but doesn't have the appps the roku has.
I have the roku 3 for UV movies & amazon, chromecast for youtube, and roamio for tv.

roamio doesn't do as well as a job so I can't get rid of those other devices.

they need to upgrade youtube (add chromecast features and the better googletv interface), add vudu, upgrade amazon. Tivo really should've just used an existing platform. licence google tv apps & store or tivo should buy the company roku and merged what they have as an app store.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovedvrs View Post
they need to upgrade youtube
What do you mean? Youtube seems to be running the latest Youtube leanback experience on the Roamio platform.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
ppartekim

While I love my Tivo, the Roku has RoksBox (a private channel) which is allows one to stream movies extremely easily from a PC or Mac with an easy Roku interface my wife can use with ease to watch anything movie she wants.

So, we have both a Roku (for ripped movies), AppleTV (for Airplay) and a Tivo (new Roamio) for all OTA TV needs.
ppartekim is offline   Reply With Quote