TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Loach

Why would anyone buy a new Premiere 4 over a Roamio Base right now?

With the introduction of the Roamio series, I was thinking I might try to scoop up a good deal on Premiere 4 to complete my whole-home solution (I currently have a 2TB upgraded P4 and 2 Minis). But right now the P4 is $191.42 at Amazon, and I can get a base Roamio from Weaknees for $189 with a coupon code.

The only thing the P4 has that the Roamio base doesn't (that I can think of) is built-in MoCA. So OK, if you need that it's worth maybe $50 in savings on a MoCA adapter (not worth much to me as I have both Cat 5e and Coax available at the location the new DVR would go). Anything else I'm missing? And with the base Roamio, I also retain the option of switching to OTA at some point (unlikely for me but you never know).

I did see the Woot deal for a P4/Stream bundle for $150, but I don't need the Stream and I'm a little lazy about selling things on Ebay, so the bundle isn't much good to me. So why would I not go with the newer technology?
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I don't think anyone would. That's why TiVo has discontinued them.

If you wanted a bundle, you could order a base Roamio + Stream on tivo.com and use the "GROUPER" code to get the Stream for free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post

If you wanted a bundle, you could order a base Roamio + Stream on tivo.com and use the "GROUPER" code to get the Stream for free.
I think the GROUPER code was turned off a day or so ago...
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
monkeydust

1. Cheapskates
2. People who like Tivo DVR functionality who are blessed with an abundance of patience
3. Masochists
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post

I understand that they're discontinued - just surprised I'm not seeing much in the way of clearance pricing on them.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
donnoh

I hope a lot of people want them. My Premiere 4 is going on ebay soon.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
I think the GROUPER code was turned off a day or so ago...
If they turn it back on, I think I'm ordering.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

A base P4 with no lifetime is going to have very little value. Maybe $100. With lifetime you should be able to get about $500. We'll probably even see a point where a 2 tuner Premiere is worth more then a 4 tuner unit because they are the last units to support analog and simultanious cable and OTA. The P4 does nothing the Roamio doesn't and is better in every way.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
MeInDallas

I had posted in another thread that the 2 tuner Premieres on Ebay with no subscription are going for as little as $22.50 up to $50, depending on shipping if its free or not, and if they have lifetime they are holding steady between $350 to $450+ depending on what comes with it (wireless adapter, upgraded drive, dvr expander etc) and the 4 tuner models people seem to be passing them over from what I can see, unless they have lifetime on them. The resellers on there havent really lowered their prices yet. I'm sure as time goes on this will change. Kinda hit and miss at this point.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
A base P4 with no lifetime is going to have very little value. Maybe $100. With lifetime you should be able to get about $500. We'll probably even see a point where a 2 tuner Premiere is worth more then a 4 tuner unit because they are the last units to support analog and simultanious cable and OTA. The P4 does nothing the Roamio doesn't and is better in every way.
Perhaps there are people who will, but no way would I pay $500 for a used P4 w/Lifetime when I can get a new base Roamio with lifetime for $589. Not even sure I'd pay $500 for a new lifetime P4 at this point.

Good point about why the 2-tuner Premieres may be holding their value - OTA flexibility.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
Series3Sub

If someone wants the ability to tune or record both OTA and Cable SIMULTANEOUSLY. The Roamio can only tune to ONE or the OTHER for all 4 tuners, and the Plus and Pro have no OTA capability. So this does leave legacy TiVo's with one advantage to the Roamio line that some may still desire. Of course, Premier 4 tuners and XL4 (or Elite or whatever) are cable only.

Last edited by Series3Sub : 08-24-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote