TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
anthonymoody

Timeframe for new/better apps with html5 (?)

I currently use my PS3 as my primary streaming box (AppleTV for itunes stuff) and frankly it's a pretty amazing thing. A decade old yet state of the art streaming services, all the latest interfaces, fast. etc. Also a phenomenal and fast BR player.(If only it had a cc slot...)

That said, I wouldn't mind at all if I could migrate all my streaming into my soon to arrive Roamio Plus. Retire the PS3 to the kids for gaming, and swap to a simple BR player for discs alone.

So all that said, anyone with the technical insight into how easy it will be to port other apps (eg Vudu, Amazon Prime, etc) and what hurdles (eg TiVo approvals, etc) may exist in the process?

Asked another way...by say Christmas are we more likely than not to have a bunch of new/updated and robust apps? And yes I mean Christmas this year!
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I would say likely no - not by Christmas.

I am more optimistic about having something by next Christmas. As it stands, TiVo has not released an HTML5 SDK or any guidelines for third party developers to use.

Also, until they actually create some kind of app store, independent third party applications do not have a distribution platform.

By this Christmas - I would be ecstatic just to see the guidelines and distribution mechanisms in place. But even that may be overly optimistic.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 08-23-2013 at 02:19 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
ilovedvrs

TiVo moves very slow, next summer.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
. As it stands, TiVo has not released an HTML5 SDK or any guidelines for third party developers to use.
Do we know this for sure? Is it possible that (for now) they are working directly with Amazon, Vudu, and other obvious big name services for the first go round?

(Not trying to be argumentative, and I know TiVo has a history like that of a glacier...just trying to understand what we truly know as opposed to informed speculation).
Old 08-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
bradleys
It'll be fine....

We know that it has not widely been distributed to the idependant 3rd party developers. I am sure they have shared information to specific apps - such as Netfix and Google (Youtube).

But it has not been distributed openly to interested developers.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
anthonymoody

Thanks bradleys. Well, here's hoping. I did go back and read through as many reviews as possible, and several of them mention "a few months" for the app store, etc. I know that's not a firm commitment on Tivo's part...
Old 08-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I think we have to break it into two separate deliverables on TiVo's part. The distribution mechanism (app store) and a publicly released development SDK.

I am absolutely positive that TiVo is already shopping around a more mainstream app platform / stable environment to some of the big existing players. The question is: when can interested independendant developers submit apps into a public platform?

Also, will this be a walled garden, or can we side load apps to TiVo independent of TiVo's App Store?

If they really implement this (last two development platforms have been abandoned), I will be a lot of fun to see how creative TiVo members can be.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Also, will this be a walled garden, or can we side load apps to TiVo independent of TiVo's App Store?
None of us know what might happen, but it is bound to be slow, slow, slow to get started. And I fear it is likely going to be a closed/walled garden type thing. That is just my guess based on past TiVo Inc. behavior. And the DRM excuse will likely be thrown onto the table- can't do this, can't do that, because we wouldn't want to upset CableLabs....

Hopefully I am proven wrong because having open/hobby/3rd party development might be one of the best things to ever happen to the TiVo product line.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
None of us know what might happen, but it is bound to be slow, slow, slow to get started. And I fear it is likely going to be a closed/walled garden type thing. That is just my guess based on past TiVo Inc. behavior. And the DRM excuse will likely be thrown onto the table- can't do this, can't do that, because we wouldn't want to upset CableLabs....

Hopefully I am proven wrong because having open/hobby/3rd party development might be one of the best things to ever happen to the TiVo product line.
I agree - I at least need the ability to set up a test platform. If I remember correctly, in the last app approach devs were required to request a special key set to a specific TiVo device as a test platform. But that approach never made it past concept...

I am betting this would be similar - downside is I can't send out a rough beta app to the TCF for feedback. If it is done, and approved - then people can see it.

Upside? My crappy code can't crash your TiVo!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
bradleys
It'll be fine....

An app that I would love to see is a solution that is connected to your personal media on your local network. This is something that TiVo hasn't improved for years and has so much potential.

An app designed similar to Netflix that pointed to your local media repository and included your content in universal search would be fantastic!

On my Windows 8 tablet, I use Media Premier and an app like this directly on TiVo would be unbelievable!

(Or TiVo could just improve their own integration that has been the same since the S2 days!)

http://www.shugrmedia.com/

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
An app that I would love to see is a solution that is connected to your personal media on your local network. This is something that TiVo hasn't improved for years and has so much potential.
Think XBMC for/on TiVo:

http://xbmc.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBMC
Old 08-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #12
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Exactly! Similar approach...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini