TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
monkeydust

So, Brighthouse just told me my TA only support 2 streams

I was posting in this and that thread about my problems and they called me back saying that the TA's they have (don't have model atm as I'm at work) only support 2 streams (hardware/software limitation). And basically don't hold my breath on them upgrading the hardware anytime soon. So, that means it can only support two SDV channels at once (this would explain what I was mentioning in the threads above).

So, that leaves me with some *not great* choices. Try to buy my on TA that supports 6 streams and see if they will support it. Try disabling 4 of my tuners so my SDV channels will come in properly all the time. Wait for Brighthouse to upgrade their hardware and live with what I have atm.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
andyw715

that blows
andyw715 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Goober96

Does anyone know what the limitation is on the Motorola TAs on Charter's network?
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Back when I bought my Elite I was having trouble getting all 4 tuners working. In one of my tests I connected 2 TAs to the TiVo. It actually seemed to work. I didn't test it extensively but it seemed to function. I wonder if using multiple TAs would work for you?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
MeInDallas

If you have one already and can go look into the code modules screen at the platform version, it should be at least 01.37 to handle 6 tuners.

EDIT: I meant to say that for Goober96 on the Motorola T/A

Last edited by MeInDallas : 08-23-2013 at 02:35 PM.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
I was posting in this and that thread about my problems and they called me back saying that the TA's they have (don't have model atm as I'm at work) only support 2 streams (hardware/software limitation). And basically don't hold my breath on them upgrading the hardware anytime soon. So, that means it can only support two SDV channels at once (this would explain what I was mentioning in the threads above).

So, that leaves me with some *not great* choices. Try to buy my on TA that supports 6 streams and see if they will support it. Try disabling 4 of my tuners so my SDV channels will come in properly all the time. Wait for Brighthouse to upgrade their hardware and live with what I have atm.
I believe they are required to support 4 streams at this point. This was part of the FCC new CableCARD rules.

Might be worth filing a complaint to the FCC. FCC.Gov/Complaints

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
Does anyone know what the limitation is on the Motorola TAs on Charter's network?
I have one connected to an Elite so it can do at least 4.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
monkeydust

I've had one of these connected to my Elite for a while but there were many times that certain stations would not come in. This would explain that.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
I was posting in this and that thread about my problems and they called me back saying that the TA's they have only support 2 streams (hardware/software limitation).
I'm pretty sure that is incorrect. If you have the Cisco STA1520 like I do (Brighthouse North Pinellas in Florida) it has supported 6 streams since May 2011 with firmware STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1402. The current version on my TA is STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601. There's some good info in this thread.

That being said, I don't know if I've ever tried tuning to 4 SDV channels at the same time (I don't watch many of the channels that are SDV here).

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
monkeydust

Thanks, windracer. The cisco unit does look like mine (just not positive on the model number atm). I'll check the firmware version in the tivo settings when I get home to compare.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
innocentfreak

http://www.gizmolovers.com/2011/07/1...new-fcc-rules/

4 Streams is definitely the minimum as required by the FCC mandate so if they don't offer a model that supports it they are in violation and a comment to the FCC should be filed.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
If you have one already and can go look into the code modules screen at the platform version, it should be at least 01.37 to handle 6 tuners.

EDIT: I meant to say that for Goober96 on the Motorola T/A
Where is that screen? I have an Elite now and have never had an issue (not sure if I've ever tuned 4 SDV channels simultaneously though). About to buy a Pro so want to be sure I'll be okay.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
MeInDallas

OK I use the SD menus but I think you can get there the same way. I'm on an XL4 also.

Go to settings/account&system information/tuning adapter/tuning adapter diagnostics and then it will go to like that weird grey screen like the cable card one, and hit the down arrow to code modules, and then select, and you should see it listed there.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
Goober96

Quote:
OK I use the SD menus but I think you can get there the same way. I'm on an XL4 also.

Go to settings/account&system information/tuning adapter/tuning adapter diagnostics and then it will go to like that weird grey screen like the cable card one, and hit the down arrow to code modules, and then select, and you should see it listed there.
Thanks! It reads 01.37 so I should be good to go.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
MeInDallas

Yep that one will do 6 tuners
Old 08-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
sbiller

Quote:
Yep that one will do 6 tuners
Gary Doda (BHN) and at least one user confirmed 6-tuner support on dslreports.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r285...tuning-adapter
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I'm pretty sure that is incorrect. If you have the Cisco STA1520 like I do (Brighthouse North Pinellas in Florida) it has supported 6 streams since May 2011 with firmware STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1402. The current version on my TA is STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601. There's some good info in this thread.

That being said, I don't know if I've ever tried tuning to 4 SDV channels at the same time (I don't watch many of the channels that are SDV here).
Well, he was wrong. I do have the latest firmware which has supported 6 streams for a couple of years. And, right now i can't reproduce the issue (could last night and this morning). So, we'll see how it goes and if it comes back.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #18
windracer
joined the 10k club

Good to hear!

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #19
BHNtechXpert

Quote:

This is not correct and I apologize for the confusion. If you have any questions feel free to reach out to me directly at BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com.
BHNtechXpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #20
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I have one connected to an Elite so it can do at least 4.
Charter uses the same firmware everywhere I believe. And the Motorola tuning adapters got 6 tuner support several years ago. It is really said if a cable company is running firmware old enough to not support 6 tuners. It makes you wonder how many bugs have been fixed since then as well that aren't available to customers.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #21
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Brings up a good question, though. If the TA doesn't support the number of tuners you have in your DVR, then what?

Does the TA tell the DVR how many it has? If the DVR doesn't know it can't tune more than X at a time, it will cause recording failures! I don't think there is a manual option for disabling X number of tuners in the TiVo...
Old 08-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #22
bradenmcg
Big Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Brings up a good question, though. If the TA doesn't support the number of tuners you have in your DVR, then what?

Does the TA tell the DVR how many it has? If the DVR doesn't know it can't tune more than X at a time, it will cause recording failures! I don't think there is a manual option for disabling X number of tuners in the TiVo...
The Tuning Resolver (sorry, Tuning "Adapter" is the word everyone uses even though the spec originally called it a TR) tells the OCUR device many things, including the number of SDV requests it can handle (tr_profile() has a "number_of_tuners" value that is returned in response to a tr_status() request).

Also, note that the current TR spec explicitly states:
"The TR SHALL support at least six tuners."

All M-Cards and TRs have to handle 6 tuners minimum per the FCC. Credit Ceton for a lot of the work on this, as their 6-tuner Ethernet-attached CableCard system (for Windows Media Center) was one of the major factors in pushing for 6 (vs. 4).
Old 08-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #23
Millionaire2K

It seems like a case of support not wanting to bother to help you. Like 3 years ago an agent trying to tell me I can't get premium ch's with Tivo "only with their boxes". I just hung up right then and called right back.
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #24
nandopr

I live in Orlando, FL. Have Brighthouse. Got a new Roamio Pro and I am using a TA. Was worried for a moment when I read about the limitations of the TA.

Well, no worries. I decided to record six SDV channels. Perfect recording. All six channels. The TA delivered flawless.
nandopr is offline   Reply With Quote