TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #31
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Haven't even gotten my Roamio yet and I am about 95% sure I am going to use the Slide.

The new Roamio remote is inferior to the Slide in every way except that it doesn't require a dongle (who cares).
Where does the Roamio remote stack up compared to the Glo remote that was shipped with the higher end Premieres with learning and backlit buttons?
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #32
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
I'd love to get my hands on one of the new Roamio remotes but I don't know of anyone who is selling it separately. With the buttons moved around, I need to retrain the family before any Roamios are purchased, secondly need to find out if it's backwards compatible with the Premiere.
For RF mode, a Roamio device will not do you any good on a non-Roamio DVR because only the Roamio has the wirelesss connection built into it. The IR mode should work OK, though (but it is slower).

What you probably want is a Slide remote (perhaps the new one coming out), which works on the Premiere and has a dongle (and a keyboard, and IR learning, and more).

Last edited by crxssi : 08-25-2013 at 08:12 AM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #33
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
A Roamio device will not do you any good on a non-Roamio DVR because only the Roamio has the wirelesss connection built into it.
The Roamio remote can be used over IR (in addition to RF). Looks like a slightly improved form factor and better finish (in regards to fingerprints). Wonder how much the upcoming Slide 2 will run? $90? More? Hm.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #34
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
The Roamio remote can be used over IR (in addition to RF). Looks like a slightly improved form factor and better finish (in regards to fingerprints). Wonder how much the upcoming Slide 2 will run? $90? More? Hm.
Damnit, I keep forgetting about the IR mode because I would never want to use it that way (too slow). I am spoiled by the much faster RF on the Slide. Will edit the other posts. Thanks
Old 08-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #35
gothaggis

so is it not possible to program the new remote to control the tv as well (on/off/volume, etc)
gothaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #36
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothaggis View Post
so is it not possible to program the new remote to control the tv as well (on/off/volume, etc)
Basic AV/TV controls are baked in, so you should be able to control your TV. What's not available is a learning mode to cover more complex configurations.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #37
brianric

Question on new remote. Once it is paired with the Roamio, does the IR turn off as to not to interfere with another Tivo in the same room?
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #38
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
Question on new remote. Once it is paired with the Roamio, does the IR turn off as to not to interfere with another Tivo in the same room?
If it works like the Slide, then yes.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #39
ss-stingray
Sony DHG refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The 1-2 switch would also allow people to use two Basic units, one configured for cable and the other for OTA, in the same room without needing a separate remote for each one. Not sure how likely that scenario is, but I could see it happening.
We may be seeing the last Tivo OTA model so a 1-2 switch probably won't happen. The Roamio Basic seems to be an after thought. At this point I'm disappointed that the Basic has a small plastic box ( doesn't line up with the rest of the equipment), smallest HD, dinky fan, no dual coax imput.
ss-stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #40
Dan203
Super Moderator

Can you change the new remote to IR only mode? Just wondering if there is a way to learn the new back button into a universal remote. If the remote can be put into IR only mode then it would work fine. If not then we'll have to figure out the hex code and enter it manually.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #41
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss-stingray View Post
We may be seeing the last Tivo OTA model so a 1-2 switch probably won't happen. The Roamio Basic seems to be an after thought. At this point I'm disappointed that the Basic has a small plastic box ( doesn't line up with the rest of the equipment), smallest HD, dinky fan, no dual coax imput.
I think the basic was TiVo's attempt at a price saver. They need an inexpensive entry model or most people wont even consider them. If the cheapest box they had was the Pro then they would be in serious trouble.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #42
andyf

Quote:
Can you change the new remote to IR only mode? Just wondering if there is a way to learn the new back button into a universal remote. If the remote can be put into IR only mode then it would work fine. If not then we'll have to figure out the hex code and enter it manually.
Yes, I think it's TiVo + 'C' puts it into IR only mode.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #43
JWhites

Is there a backlight? I'm sorry if this was answered and I missed it.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #44
macfactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Is there a backlight? I'm sorry if this was answered and I missed it.
No the new remotes are not backlit. Which is why I am sticking with my Harmony One.
macfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #45
JWhites

Oh my. So aside from the RF feature, it's not really all that good compared to the Glo learning remote huh? I wonder if the remote finder feature works if the remote is in IR mode, or even how it works.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #46
Dan203
Super Moderator

There is apparently a better remote coming, with a keyboard like the old Slide. It'll probably be back lit and have learning.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #47
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasun View Post
I believe it's tivo and power button.
That's for programming the TV power function. To set the TiVo remote code, it is "TiVo & Pause".

Edit: My bad. I guess that's what you were saying but you failed to quote the post to which you were replying.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #48
JWhites

Quote:
There is apparently a better remote coming, with a keyboard like the old Slide. It'll probably be back lit and have learning.
I'm surprised TiVo didn't just go with what they've done in the past and had a basic remote on the lower priced model and a more featured remote on the higher priced model.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #49
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
And a whole thread on it!!

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507876
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #50
lpwcomp

Does anyone have a specific example of the difference in function of the "Back" button and the Left Arrow?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #51
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies! View Post
According to Amazon, I bought this one in 2009:
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Energy-S...rt+power+strip

They have some other sizes available, too.

Edit: Yep, same brand, different size. Really happy with it, can't believe that I've had it for 4 years.

Those work very well especially since it can be adjusted to turn on for a different amount of current(I tried a Belkin one first which didn't work because I could not adjust it). I use one with one of my unRAID setups. I've been meaning to pick up another strip for another unRAID setup.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:31 AM   #52
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Does anyone have a specific example of the difference in function of the "Back" button and the Left Arrow?
The back button doesn't really do anything in the TiVo UI. It was added because a lot of the app developers use it in their UIs. With the Premiere TiVo tried to get developers to create apps that melded with the TiVo experience. That didn't work out so great for them so this time around they're creating a platform that the developers will actually want to use. With the back button and the ability to support HTML5 based apps they've created a platform more services should be able to support without having to create and maintain a special TiVo version of their app.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #53
JWhites

Does the left arrow behave the same on the Roamio with the Roamio or Glo remote as it does on the Premiere when in apps?
Old 08-26-2013, 04:52 AM   #54
Dan203
Super Moderator

Don't quite understand. In the TiVo UI the back button is no different then hitting left. The apps can each choose to use the back button however they want, so it'll vary from app to app.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #55
JWhites

Oh ok good. I was afraid that if the Glo remote which doesn't have a dedicated back button was used on the Roamio and an app was used, there wouldn't be a way of exiting the app.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #56
markp99
TakoKichi

If I get the S5 (I refuse to use that new dumb name), I'll probably go with my glow remote.

I prefer the "feel" of the glow remote (from my Premier XL) over the other TiVo remotes I have used.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #57
miller890

I went back to the slide remote after a couple days. The new button locations, no back light, and non-learning for TV + Receiver power were hard to live without.
Comcast, all wired to 1GB
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #58
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I didn't even open the sleeve with the remote in it, just kept on trucking with my Harmony One.
Which model TiVo did you tell your Harmony you had to work well with the Roamio? Or are the Roamios already in the Harmony db?
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #59
vurbano

I havent used anything but a Directv Tivo HR10-250 remote on all of my equipment since leaving Directv. Ive used it on all TivoHD and Premiere units. I intent to use it on roamio and minis if it will work. It is superior for the simple fact of having a "List" and an "exit" button.

Last edited by vurbano : 08-29-2013 at 05:14 PM.
vurbano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #60
Kolenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Which model TiVo did you tell your Harmony you had to work well with the Roamio? Or are the Roamios already in the Harmony db?
The Roamios aren't in the DB, but the IR codes are identical to the earlier models. Enter it in as a Premiere and you will only be missing the "Back" button which you can learn from the new remote easily enough.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote