TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
monkeydust

Anybody decide not to use the new remote?

I have 3 active TiVo's now. I keep pressing the Zoom button on the new remote because that is where the Guide button used to be. Now, I might agree that the new remote has a layout that is a bit more logical. But, I think it might be better if I am using 3 of the same remotes instead of 2 the same and 1 close but with a few buttons moved around. Just don't think there is any reason to use the new remote over my old glow remote that isn't currently being used.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
ilovedvrs

I switch back to my Slide remote.

1) small is better
2) RF seemed unresponsive to me, a few button presses didn't work
3) no backlight
4) no keyboard
5) I couldn't get my Sony Soundbar buttons programmed (input/power/volume) I tried all the codes. the Slide is programmable so it wasn't a issue. is this remote programmable?
Old 08-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I didn't even open the sleeve with the remote in it, just kept on trucking with my Harmony One.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
HenryFarpolo

I am an equal opportunity remote user. I tried the new remote and it is fine. I prefer the slide. I also use a Harmony One for my non-TIVO activities.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Going to keep using my harmony remote for the most part. The new RF remote will go on the kitchen counter to take advantage of the RF signaling. From that location we can watch tv while eating dinner, but had to raise up and point the harmony to get it to work. The RF remote can just sit on the counter and works fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
generaltso

The lack of learning function is a deal-breaker for me. I'm sticking with the Slide until something better comes along.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
The lack of learning function is a deal-breaker for me. I'm sticking with the Slide until something better comes along.
What are you trying to learn? I programmed mine to control the same functions as i did the slide.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

I'm hoping that the new remote is suitable, I'd like to move the Slide up to the bedroom TV. That one is getting a mini, and the slide will let me put the mini behind the dresser out of sight.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
What are you trying to learn? I programmed mine to control the same functions as i did the slide.
I have the input button set to turn on the bias lighting behind my TV. I also have the TV power button set to turn the light off the same time it turns the TV off. That kind of customization is never going to happen without a learning function.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Do you ever watch TV without the bias light?

I have a power strip that has outlets that turn on/off when the device plugged into the "control" outlet is turned on or off. So, when I turn on the TV, the bias light and receiver outlets power up. When I turn the TV off, everything goes dark.

It also has a handful of always hot outlets for things like the TiVo.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies! View Post
Yeah, I don't want the bias light on during the day when the kids are watching TV. The bulbs aren't cheap, so I only want them burning when they're needed. Using the input button to turn it on works great. I just hope my Slide remote never breaks
Old 08-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Yeah, you and me both!

Mine is just a LED strip light, so that doesn't bother me.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies! View Post

I have a power strip that has outlets that turn on/off when the device plugged into the "control" outlet is turned on or off. So, when I turn on the TV, the bias light and receiver outlets power up. When I turn the TV off, everything goes dark.

It also has a handful of always hot outlets for things like the TiVo.
Where'd you get that power strip? I did a brief search for that functionality a while back but didn't find anything.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #14
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
Where'd you get that power strip? I did a brief search for that functionality a while back but didn't find anything.
Not sure if this is the one he's using, but I've used this one before.

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Pr...ic+power+strip
Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #15
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

According to Amazon, I bought this one in 2009:
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Energy-S...rt+power+strip

They have some other sizes available, too.

Edit: Yep, same brand, different size. Really happy with it, can't believe that I've had it for 4 years.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #16
davezatz
Funkadelic

Has anyone tried pairing the Roamio to the Slide's dongle on a non-Roamio DVR?
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #17
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Has anyone tried pairing the Roamio to the Slide's dongle on a non-Roamio DVR?
You mean pair the Roamio's RF remote to the Slide's bluetooth dongle?
Old 08-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #18
jcthorne

The included RF remote has a much more limited range than the Bluetooth Slide remote. The stock RF was pretty unresponsive from my chair in the Home Theater room where as the slide works fine (with the receiver in front of the TiVo). As the included remote does not have IR, its pretty useless in a large room. A definite down grade from previous remotes.

No matter, I have a drawer full of stock peanut remotes. This adds one more.

Hopefully Tivo has a new accessory remote in the works.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #19
monkeydust

Laying on my bed, the new rf remote is easier to use signal-wise in that I can use it without having to raise my hand in the air like I have to do with my old remote to get clearance from the foot of the bed. But, I think I'd be more frustrated by hitting the zoom button over and over when I'm actually going for the guide button.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #20
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
I am an equal opportunity remote user. I tried the new remote and it is fine. I prefer the slide. I also use a Harmony One for my non-TIVO activities.
Haven't even gotten my Roamio yet and I am about 95% sure I am going to use the Slide.

The new Roamio remote is inferior to the Slide in every way except that it doesn't require a dongle (who cares).
Old 08-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #21
Goldwing2001
Goldwing2001

I will probably continue to use the slide remote. Since the new remote will not allow me to program/learn two codes at once. The power button on my slide remote powers down/up both my TV and receiver.
Goldwing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

Apparently there is a new Slide remote coming....

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507876
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #23
aasun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing2001 View Post
I will probably continue to use the slide remote. Since the new remote will not allow me to program/learn two codes at once. The power button on my slide remote powers down/up both my TV and receiver.
You can program the Roamio remote for TV and A/V power from the one power button. It works just like previous TiVo remotes. Program the TV power first (using a 0xxx TV code), then repeat the program step, but using a 1xxx A/V receiver code.

I have this set up with my 2 Roamios and it works. However, you can not program a non-TV code with the input button. So, I can't use my Roamio remote to change the receiver input (since my inputs are controlled by the receiver, not the TV).

But, that's not a *huge* deal, since I'd be using a remote other than the TiVo remote if I switch the receiver input, anyway.
aasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #24
Dan203
Super Moderator

I wish these remotes still had the 1-2 switch like the old days. We still have 2 TiVos* in the same room so there is no way I could ever use a single TiVo remote for my setup, even if I could learn the Input button from my receiver.

* Even with 6 tuners me and my wife can't share a TiVo because she just records too much crap. We also still have a bunch of analog only stations and she still watches a bunch of them. Maybe someday if they transition to all digital and TiVo adds a profile feature we'll be able to share. Until then we'll have to stick with the Harmony.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

The 1-2 switch would also allow people to use two Basic units, one configured for cable and the other for OTA, in the same room without needing a separate remote for each one. Not sure how likely that scenario is, but I could see it happening.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #26
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
As the included remote does not have IR
Not true. The default mode is RF, but can be switched to IR mode.

- Premiere (2TB) x2 (both for sale - PM me)
- Elite XL4 (for sale)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #27
jfh3

I really miss the hardware switch. I still ave a number of those remotes, but now that I've started to use the ABCD buttons, I don't really use them except for changing settings and features.

- Premiere (2TB) x2 (both for sale - PM me)
- Elite XL4 (for sale)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #28
Goldwing2001
Goldwing2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasun View Post
You can program the Roamio remote for TV and A/V power from the one power button. It works just like previous TiVo remotes. Program the TV power first (using a 0xxx TV code), then repeat the program step, but using a 1xxx A/V receiver code.

I have this set up with my 2 Roamios and it works. However, you can not program a non-TV code with the input button. So, I can't use my Roamio remote to change the receiver input (since my inputs are controlled by the receiver, not the TV).

But, that's not a *huge* deal, since I'd be using a remote other than the TiVo remote if I switch the receiver input, anyway.

I can't get it to work on the new remote. I press the tivo & select buttons but never receive the solid light indicating it's ready to program.
Goldwing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:16 AM   #29
aasun

I believe it's tivo and power button.
aasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:20 AM   #30
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
I have 3 active TiVo's now. I keep pressing the Zoom button on the new remote because that is where the Guide button used to be. Now, I might agree that the new remote has a layout that is a bit more logical. But, I think it might be better if I am using 3 of the same remotes instead of 2 the same and 1 close but with a few buttons moved around. Just don't think there is any reason to use the new remote over my old glow remote that isn't currently being used.
I'd love to get my hands on one of the new Roamio remotes but I don't know of anyone who is selling it separately. With the buttons moved around, I need to retrain the family before any Roamios are purchased, secondly need to find out if it's backwards compatible with the Premiere.

Last edited by JWhites : 08-25-2013 at 02:27 AM.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote