TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #1
monkeydust

Roamio Plus - Different channels missing on different tuners on CC

Was discussing the issue a bit in this thread. What I have found with my testing is I have different channels missing on different tuners on my multistream cablecard. For example, I have 4 tuners recording, I put tuner 5 in ch 1120 and tuner 6 on 1100. I move up or down on one tuner making sure I don't get onto the same channel (as I don't want to accidentally switch tuners) as the other and make note of the channels I am getting. I will be missing ch 1109 on tuner 5 and ch 1117 on tuner 6 but get ch 1109 on tuner 6 and get ch 1117 on tuner 5. When I don't get the channel, the screen is just black without any message.
I had the cable guy here for 2 hours switching CC's and TA's and he left while I was still having issues and scheduled somebody to come out the next day. I didn't know of the missing channels are per CC tuner until he left and did some more testing.

So, has anybody heard of this happening before and what can be done to fix? I need to narrow down the issue to the CC, TA, or TiVo Roamio Plus. The only thing I have switched out is the TiVo but the issue doesn't seem like a TiVo issue to me. FYI - I have a TiVo Elite in the other room and have switched the TA and it didn't seem to help.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
monkeydust

I spoke to the cable company rep on the phone and he said he really doesn't know what he can do that we haven't already done (switch CC and TA). He said he would have the office reset my TA a bunch of times and then for me to try things out when I get home. He was unfamiliar what a CC/DVR being about to do 6 streams at once and was hypothesizing that perhaps their hardware could not handle that much simultaneous traffic.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
monkeydust

Brighthouse told me my TA only supports 2 simultaneous SDV streams as I just posted in this thread.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
critta

I'm experiencing something very similiar but on Comcast. For the last 2 months, my (2) 2-tuner Premiere's have lost random channels here and there. Last weekend I switched to a 6 tuner Roamio and Mini, removing the premiere's. Since the switch, at least once per day i am losing blocks of channels, example: like channels 389-413.... all gone with banner reading "Channel not authorized (V58). but when i go to dvr diagnostics, test channels..... all the missing channels instantly return only to go out again in the next 24 hrs. Comcast was out to verify signal and talked to a Tivo rep and they agreed that the signal was good. All internal wiring has been tested. Looking at the "dvr diagonistics" most tuners are reading signal strength of 100 and SNR 40-42 (tivo says too high, should be 35ish). Still working on it but you are not the only one
critta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

I am on Fios. I have a premiere and premiere 4 (and 2 TivoHDs)

The TivoHDs do not exhibit any channel problem (except last week when FIOS announced an outage, all fixed).

But on my two premieres, I've seen channels randomly missing, but it never seems to be missing from shows recording. And it happens much more frequently on my Premiere 4

I usually can go to another channel, way far away from the one that 'failed' and it comes back. Switching chnl up or down a channel or two usually does not fix it.

Mostly I see black screen, but occasionally see V58 errors.

Looks and feels like an authorization timing problem in the Tivo that is exacerbated by more tuners
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Paraphrasing MLK's famous speech: "I have a dream...." of that day when CableCARD and TA's are barely remembered relics of history. They cause enough problems with just 2 tuners.

Another dream that would also work is that cable cos were actually proficient at setting up their plants to support CC's and TA -- but I think my first dream will be realized first.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
monkeydust

I've verified I have the same issue on my Elite. Just had never realized when I had seen it previously that I could get the channel I was missing on another one of my tuners. I verified this was the case last night.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
tyheyn

Ditto here. Comcast.
tyheyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
critta

Tivo recommended i attenuate the hot signal from comcast and i installed a -12db attenuator. Now all my tuner signal strengths are within spec (signal 80-95 and SNR no higher than 35). Problem persisted and i shut off MOCA, switching to ethernet for my mini.... Same Problem. Now Tivo recommends a Motorola CC and not ScientificAtlanta (now cisco). I'm willing to bet that would probably fix my issue since its a authorization problem but OF COURSE Comcast doesn't support Motorola CC in my area. I will say Tivo has been great trying to help but Comcast is nothing but the same....CRAP! "let me send a refresh signal", "lets get a tech out there". Comcast is a terrible company in my opinion!!!
critta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

I have seen this on my premiere elite 4 too

It has to be a timing problem with the cc authorization
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by critta View Post
Tivo recommended i attenuate the hot signal from comcast and i installed a -12db attenuator. Now all my tuner signal strengths are within spec (signal 80-95 and SNR no higher than 35). Problem persisted and i shut off MOCA, switching to ethernet for my mini.... Same Problem. Now Tivo recommends a Motorola CC and not ScientificAtlanta (now cisco). I'm willing to bet that would probably fix my issue since its a authorization problem but OF COURSE Comcast doesn't support Motorola CC in my area. I will say Tivo has been great trying to help but Comcast is nothing but the same....CRAP! "let me send a refresh signal", "lets get a tech out there". Comcast is a terrible company in my opinion!!!
Tivo can't deserve kudos for recommending a Motorola CC when you're on a Cisco system.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
jdaniels1982

Running into the same issues here on Long Island....I'm a longtime Tivo user and Cablevision customer....have always had a great tivo experience over the years with the Series 1, Series 2, and 2 tuner Premier xl. The minute I switched over to the 4 tuner Premier Elite model last year I began getting the V58 errors and dropped signal black screen. I returned my 4 tuner last year for an older 2 tuner xl after many tivo box exchanges and cable card swap outs. I was so excited when the Romeo was announced and had hoped the new 6 tuner unit had resolved the old issues....Within an our after plugging in my Roamio, I started loosing channels that minutes before had been working fine. The channels that drop are always unpredictable which makes it worse. I'm returning the Roamio unit and going back to my 2 Tuner XL until it dies. So disappointed I love the speed and agility of the new Roamio...but at the end of the day I'm using it to watch tv....if the tivo can't reliably keep all the channels in tune...what's the point... I'm highly doubtful Cablevision carries multiple brands of cable cards to try.
Also just want to say how annoying it is that Tivo continually says to me that this is the first they have heard of the issue...when clearly this forum shows that not to be the case.
Anyone have genuine success resolving the issue?
Joe
jdaniels1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #13
tyheyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
I am on Fios. I have a premiere and premiere 4 (and 2 TivoHDs)

The TivoHDs do not exhibit any channel problem (except last week when FIOS announced an outage, all fixed).

But on my two premieres, I've seen channels randomly missing, but it never seems to be missing from shows recording. And it happens much more frequently on my Premiere 4

I usually can go to another channel, way far away from the one that 'failed' and it comes back. Switching chnl up or down a channel or two usually does not fix it.

Mostly I see black screen, but occasionally see V58 errors.

Looks and feels like an authorization timing problem in the Tivo that is exacerbated by more tuners
Makes sense to me. I tried the "INIT HIT" solution with Comcast to no avail. For once, I actually don't think it's Comcast's fault. Hope TiVo fine-tunes the Roamio; I've run across quite a few bugs that make me sense that they rushed this product to market.
tyheyn is offline   Reply With Quote