Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #1
ADG
Allan

Occasional Black Screen

The following occurred twice within the past week on a Roamio Plus:

First time: I was watching a recorded show. When it ended I deleted it and while still in Now Showing selected another recording. When I tried to play it the screen went black. Switched to live tv - also black. Back and forth a couple of times and it cleared up and worked fine. Audio was good throughout the process.

Second time: Same as above except that it didn't clear up until I went into video settings, played around a little, reset to the same as it was to start with, and exited. Then everything was fine.

It should be noted that this tivo outputs to two sets - one via hdmi and one via component cable - and both sets exhibited the black screen.

Clearly this isn't normal behavior. Do we think it's something about which I need to be concerned and contact tivo support? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
59er
TiVotee

This happens to my Roamio Pro all the time lately. I assume it is a bug and will clear up with the upcoming Winter Update (rumored for Thanksgiving-ish).
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
NJ Webel

This happened to me last week to the point where I couldn't use the Tivo except for apps like Netflix. A hard drive replacement and upgraded power supply (this was a Roamio Basic) fixed the issue for me.
NJ Webel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
FitzAusTex

I've had this happen at least a dozen times in the past month or so on Roamio basic. Easiest way for me to correct the issue is to pull up and exit tivo central.
FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
ADG
Allan

Thanks for the replies. Misery loves company, so it's good to know I'm not alone .

I did call Tivo support. Spoke with a great rep who said it happened to her too but it corrected when she disconnected from the power strip she was using and plugged directly into the wall. I use a UPS (and have been using it since I got the Roamio 10 months ago) so I assume there's no correlation. Anyway, since others have the same issue it's probably the box and not on my end.

Thanks again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You should try to use only one screen resolution such as 1080p and uncheck others. Under Settings, Video.

The Blank screen means the TV is changing resolution every time a different resolution is used. Such as 720p to 1080i and vice versa. This happens when you change channels, or watch a recording that was recorded under a different resolution then the previous.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM   #7
59er
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You should try to use only one screen resolution such as 1080p and uncheck others. Under Settings, Video.

The Blank screen means the TV is changing resolution every time a different resolution is used. Such as 720p to 1080i and vice versa. This happens when you change channels, or watch a recording that was recorded under a different resolution then the previous.
This isn't a flickering screen going black; this is the entire system going black instead of outputting any video. I keep only one output set (720p).
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Any loose cables? Such as a HDMI cable not plugged in all the way, sometimes you can hear a click when its in all the way.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #9
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Any loose cables? Such as a HDMI cable not plugged in all the way, sometimes you can hear a click when its in all the way.
I'm not trying to be harsh. But, having inserted hundreds of different HDMI cables, into hundreds of different HDMI ports, on at least dozens of different devices, I have never once heard a "click". Given the fragility of HDMI ports, I'd hate for somebody to keep pushing until they hear a click, or start wiggling while pushing, trying to get a click. They may not be too happy when they finally hear a click.

The only exception is the special 2" dongle for chromecasts. That has an additional lip, no other HDMI cable, or extension has, that can make a sound resembling a click when you insert the chromecast into it.

If I'm missing out on some sort of new, improved, HDMI cable, that makes a positive click, when inserted, and prevents it from moving around when inserted, or pulling back out, I want some. Even my HDMI 1.4 ports, with HDMI 1.4 cables, don't click, and they are new.

The only Roamio connector I can find that clicks, is the network cable. All the rest just slide in, and bottom-out (or screw in).

If I'm wrong, I'll take the flogging. I'm thinking back through Premieres, and TiVo HDs, and don't recall any of them having anything other than a RJ-45 or RJ-11 jack, that clicked. Same goes for many TVs, streaming devices, HDMI switches, DVD & BD players... I miss connections that clicked. Even the clicking action of quality cablecard slots has been taken away, like many memory card readers, which used to have clicking action...