TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2014, 01:43 AM   #1
RustyShackleford

Considering leaving dish for Comcast. Would love some input.

I've been doing some reading and searching on here. Found some helpful information, but I'd love some up-to-date info and feedback on my situation.

I am nearing my decision to leave Dish Network. I understand their situation with Turner and losing channels but I digress.... I currently have Comcast internet and I believe I could save a little bit of money by getting on the double play plan for internet/tv.

I'd love to see how people with any experience feel about the following setup moving from my current Hopper, to Comcast TV service using the Roamio Pro.

I'd like to know if I would be able to use all tuners, and in general, get people's feedback on moving from the 220 Dish plan to the 220+ Comcast plan.

Here is the setup I plan on so far....

(one) Roamio Pro (master bedroom)
(one) Mini (living room)
(one) Stream (for my Android and iOS devices)

Last edited by RustyShackleford; 11-06-2014 at 01:51 AM.
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:07 AM   #2
kokishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post
I've been doing some reading and searching on here. Found some helpful information, but I'd love some up-to-date info and feedback on my situation.

I am nearing my decision to leave Dish Network. I understand their situation with Turner and losing channels but I digress.... I currently have Comcast internet and I believe I could save a little bit of money by getting on the double play plan for internet/tv.

I'd love to see how people with any experience feel about the following setup moving from my current Hopper, to Comcast TV service.

I'd like to know if I would be able to use all tuners, and in general, get people's feedback on moving from the 220 Dish plan to the 220+ Comcast plan.

Here is the setup I plan on so far....

(one) Roamio Pro (master bedroom)
(one) Mini (living room)
(one) Stream (for my Android and iOS devices)
Pro has integrated stream functionality so no reason to get the Stream box.

The Pro has six tuners and can record up to six channels simultaneously. The Mini will utilize one of the Pro's tuners when watching live TV from the Mini but the Mini will relinquish the tuner if you switch the Mini to Tivo Central. Having six tuners and a 3TB drive is awesome.

I have a Pro and Mini that I installed at the beginning of Oct. I was a Directv sub for 12 years who switched to Comcast going with the Digital Preferred plan. Everything is working great. However, I had a few weeks of losing channel authorization almost every other day. Turned out I had a flaky cablecard. After installing another cablecard, I finally achieved stability. In the process of resolving the channel authorization issue, I got on a first name basis with the Comcast cablecard pairing guys in Denver. Stormy and Ian were very helpful and it was Ian who recommended I get another cablecard. Bless you Ian.

Comcast support has been good; in fact better than I ever expected. I did have to ask for my $2.50 COE monthly credit and correct a charge for my cablecard because Comcast does not charge for a single cablecard per device (e.g., Roamio Pro). CSRs seemed clueless about the COE credit and free cablecard until I pointed them to the specific Comcast website pages.

I really like the Pro and the Mini. Tivo tech support has been meh but tivo.com and especially tivocommunity.com are very helpful.

I think you will be glad you made the switch from Dish to Comcast/Tivo.

Last edited by kokishin; 11-06-2014 at 02:18 AM.
kokishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:29 AM   #3
tarheelblue32

Comcast, in general, works very will with TiVo. Getting a CableCard with the firmware to run all 6 tuners generally isn't a problem on Comcast. Comcast doesn't use SDV, so you don't have to deal with the potential hassle of a tuning adapter. Comcast doesn't overuse the copyright flags, so you can use the stream feature on just about any program you record for out-of-home streaming. And Comcast has an Xfinity on-demand app for TiVo, so you have access to all of their on-demand content.

As the above post says, the stream chip is built into the Roamio Plus/Pro, so you don't have to buy the TiVo Stream box separately.

The Hopper is a very good DVR. It's probably the only DVR that comes anywhere close to the Roamio, but the Roamio is still better than the Hopper in my opinion. If you do decide to switch to Comcast, you should absolutely get a Roamio. It is definitely superior to the Comcast X1 DVR.

Last edited by tarheelblue32; 11-06-2014 at 02:34 AM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
dalabera

Yes, you should be go with Comcast!
Being with TiVo for a couple of months and so far love it. Everything works as expected love it more that I don't have switch inputs.
Maybe the only drawback I see from Comcast is the way they try to manipulate you with those bundle plans that reset and you end up paying more, but everybody does it.

Another thing is their quality of their HD channels. Compared to Dish/DirectTV they are of inferior quality.

dalabera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
fpirelli

Comcast is good as long as you stay away from the X11 platform. Comcast with Tivo is a good combination. Comcast Internet is awesome and reliable.

fpirelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:38 AM   #6
RustyShackleford

Sorry for the late response, but thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate it. Going to give it over the weekend and then give Comcast a call on Monday if there aren't any new developments on getting our channels back.

You all have a great weekend.

RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote