TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
barnabas1969

Some questions about Roamio/Mini features

I have a few questions before I spend any money on TiVo. I'm currently using Windows 7 Media Center with five extenders, 10 tuners: (2 ATSC connected to an outdoor antenna, 2 ClearQAM, and 6 CableCARD), and 6TB of storage space (4TB internal, 2TB external, plus a 60GB SSD). I built it about 2.5 years ago, and it has been really nice. At the time, the feature set of the TiVo Premier was sorely lacking (no streaming).

My network is currently all wired cat5e gigabit. However, there is one place where the wife would like a small TV (in the kitchen) that would be difficult to wire with Ethernet, but easy to put a coax cable there.

The Roamio-Pro/Mini combo looks interesting. I like the all-in-one features (Netflix and DVR in a single box) of the Mini's. I also like the unified search. Here are the questions:

1) If I connect the Roamio-Pro to an Ethernet connection (which goes to my gigabit switch), and then connect a Mini in a room that doesn't have an Ethernet cable (using MoCa), will the Mini function as a MoCa bridge, thereby allowing me to connect other Ethernet-enabled devices (like a Bluray player) to the Mini's Ethernet port?

2a) If I have a movie, say in an MKV container, with H.264 video, and AC3 audio, how difficult is it to get the movie to upload/play on the Roamio and the Mini's?
2b) What steps are necessary to make this happen?
2c) Are there limitations on the bitrate of the video?
2d) Also, does the Roamio/Mini support DTS audio tracks? How about "soft" subtitles (NOT burned-in to the video)?

3) I assume that the Netflix app can run on the Roamio AND on the Mini's. Can more than one person watch Netflix at the same time? (Of course, I understand that it depends on the speed of the broadband internet connection). But, what I want to know is... can two or three people use a combination of the Roamio and/or the Mini's to all watch a different Netflix show at the same time?

4) Is there a limit to how many Mini's can be watching live/recorded/internet TV at the same time? Obviously, you can't exceed the number of tuners in the DVR. But, does the Roamio-Pro limit the number of Mini's that can be watching TV concurrently?

Thanks for your time. I look forward to the answers.

Last edited by barnabas1969 : 08-22-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added question #4
barnabas1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

1. The Mini won't act as a bridge, unfortunately.

2a/b/c. I use pyTivo to transfer and watch files. Simple once it's setup, but setting up can take a handful of steps. (google for the website). It'll convert files on the fly using ffmpeg if it's a format the Tivo won't natively support. I'm not sure it'll work directly with the Mini or not, though. It may need to be transferred to the DVR first, and then streamed from there to the Mini.

2d. Not sure.

3. I've never had any problems with multiple Netflix apps going at once. Then again, the Netflix app on the Mini is new so this specific question is untested. But I believe it'll be fine.

4. Don't know yet, but *IF* there is a limit I'm guessing it would be maybe 4 live simultaneous TV channels? I imagine the same for pre-recorded stuff too since at some point the CPU bandwidth starts to strain with all those streams. The non-specific, general answer is "several" until we hear otherwise.

Someone else can probably help fill in the gaps here.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote