TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-25-2013, 02:01 AM   #31
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
That was the conclusion I came too. I plan on doing the upgrade on the Plus and i have giftcards/Reward Zone dollars to use at BestBuy. So I'll get the Plus and 4 year warranty from bestbuy and pick up a 3TB AV drive from Amazon.

Although I expect within a week or two of me getting the Plus from BestBuy, that they will have a rare 10% off coupon. I wish it was like a few years ago where 10% and 12% off coupons were sent out several times a year.
I just usually wait for my birthday certificate. I think the one I got this year was like $100 off any one item which is when I got the 4 tuner Premiere.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #32
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
I just usually wait for my birthday certificate. I think the one I got this year was like $100 off any one item which is when I got the 4 tuner Premiere.
I don't think they have ever sent me a birthday certificate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #33
chg

They used to send me one.

Not sure if they did this year. If they did, it was for triple points on one item.
chg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #34
aaronwt
HD Addict

I did completely opposite of what I was planning. After working 16 hours Saturday, 13 hours Friday and 11 hours today I was too tired to think about the purchase when I stopped at Best Buy on my way home. I didn't even really expect to be able to do anything.

The Magnolia employee showed me the screen that showed the warehouse stock. It showed something like 28 Roamio Pros and 14 Roamio Plus models in the warehouse. I had some Reward zone dollars and some gift cards and I never even used them. Magnolia had three years no interest so I just ordered the Roamio PRo and supposedly it will show up at the store on Tuesday or Thursday.

I was so tired I just added the 4 year warranty without thinking too. It was $80. My plan now is to cancel the 4 year warranty and get the three year warranty from TiVo for only $40.

I see someone mentioned a Birthday coupon. My birthday is next month, so of course Best Buy will send me the coupon in a week just to screw with me.

And I was all ready to buy the 3TB WD Av drive from Amazon this week. So I guess the Roamio will be the second model TiVo that I don't open up. The first was the Elite.

The only thing that might make me reconsider at this point is if someone is able to get a 4TB drive working. That might push me to return the Pro and get a plus and put a 4TB drive in it. But the way I feel right now I don't want to mess with it. I've become really lazy this year. This year was also the first time in seventeen years that I purchased a pre-built desktop PC instead of putting one together .
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #35
PaulNEPats

Quote:
I did completely opposite of what I was planning. After working 16 hours Saturday, 13 hours Friday and 11 hours today I was too tired to think about the purchase when I stopped at Best Buy on my way home. I didn't even really expect to be able to do anything.

The Magnolia employee showed me the screen that showed the warehouse stock. It showed something like 28 Roamio Pros and 14 Roamio Plus models in the warehouse. I had some Reward zone dollars and some gift cards and I never even used them. Magnolia had three years no interest so I just ordered the Roamio PRo and supposedly it will show up at the store on Tuesday or Thursday.

I was so tired I just added the 4 year warranty without thinking too. It was $80. My plan now is to cancel the 4 year warranty and get the three year warranty from TiVo for only $40.

I see someone mentioned a Birthday coupon. My birthday is next month, so of course Best Buy will send me the coupon in a week just to screw with me.

And I was all ready to buy the 3TB WD Av drive from Amazon this week. So I guess the Roamio will be the second model TiVo that I don't open up. The first was the Elite.

The only thing that might make me reconsider at this point is if someone is able to get a 4TB drive working. That might push me to return the Pro and get a plus and put a 4TB drive in it. But the way I feel right now I don't want to mess with it. I've become really lazy this year. This year was also the first time in seventeen years that I purchased a pre-built desktop PC instead of putting one together .
Why not order from weaknees with the $40 off coupon and no tax?
PaulNEPats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #36
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNEPats View Post
Well I originally had some gift cards and some Reward Zone dollars. But I was so tired I forgot to use them. But they also had three years no interest at Magnolia. And Just about everything I buy from BestBuy I do with 18 months, 24 months or 36 months no interest. And pay it off a few weeks before the promotion expires.

I would have preferred to have a 10% off coupon which in the past was not a problem getting. But also me being so tired today, I wasn't even thinking straight. I just saw the screen with all the stock in the warehouse and I just said f*** it, I'll get the Pro. Well I was a little slower than that in deciding since I was moving and thinking so slow.

I guess I was also tired about going back and forth with what I was going to purchase. If I would have purchased it from the beginning I would have probably made a different decision. But anyway hopefully it will arrive on Tuesday instead of Thursday so I can get everything setup and get my main Elite ready for sale..
Old 08-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #37
innocentfreak

You can always return and rebuy to apply the gift cards. I have done the same in the past.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #38
lickwid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNEPats View Post
Which Weaknees coupon are you referring to?
lickwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #39
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickwid View Post
Which Weaknees coupon are you referring to?
Use the name of the device in caps. Each model has a specific coupon.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #40
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Use the name of the device in caps. Each model has a specific coupon.
And no spaces, worked for me and many others, many posts about this offer, $25 for the plus and $40 for the pro, and I think $15 for the basic. With no tax and the $25 savings, I saved over $50 over an order directly from TiVo.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #41
TxDan

I went to BB in Garland, Tx. this morning to try to get a Pro. They said there

were 2 in the warehouse in Flower Mound. I ordered one, should be at store

Thursday.

Last edited by TxDan : 08-27-2013 at 06:58 AM.
TxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #42
aristoBrat

I went to the BB in Chesapeake, VA (Greenbrier), which is not a Magnolia location. They were able to "MCS" a Pro for me, with the expected delivery this Saturday, the 30th.
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #43
celtic pride

I walked into my local best buy and they only had 1 box of the basic roamio and i was shocked how small the box was,It was setting on top of a tivo premiere box and it appeared to be half the size of the premiere,are all the roamios the same size?
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:16 AM   #44
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
I walked into my local best buy and they only had 1 box of the basic roamio and i was shocked how small the box was,It was setting on top of a tivo premiere box and it appeared to be half the size of the premiere,are all the roamios the same size?
No, the Basic is much smaller. The Plus and Pro are Premiere-sized.

I haven't seen any Roamios at the Best Buys in Phoenix. The employees don't even know when they'll be getting them, not that they seemed the least bit interested.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #45
aaronwt
HD Addict

The first BestBuy I went too the employee had no idea. The second BB I went to I went to the Magnolia section and he knew exactly what I was talking about and pulled all the info up on screen. It's always been hit or miss for me with BestBuy.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #46
aristoBrat

The Best Buy website is showing that the Magnolia Store location (near me) has both the Plus and Pro in stock today.

I just placed an "in-store pickup" order for a Pro (via their website).

Last edited by aristoBrat : 08-27-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #47
innocentfreak

Looks like you can add to cart if your stores don't have it, but still shows backordered with a 1-2 week ship time.

Tampa and the surrounding areas still have zero of any model in stock.

I wonder if Best Buy is holding back stock on stores that still have the old models. It is odd that the Roamio has been available and shipping within 1 day, but still not available in over 30 local stores.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #48
aristoBrat

Just got my pickup confirmation. Will snag it right after lunch.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #49
aristoBrat

Success, and luck. There were two other Pros in the "pickup" bin when I picked up mine. The website now shows zero available at that store.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #50
cr33p

When I ordered my Plus from BB he said they showed some in the warehouse, yet, when he placed the order it was on back order, I checked the status today and it shows to ship sometime between 9-5 to 9-13 this is a super bummer, I want my damn Roamio!
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #51
aaronwt
HD Addict

When will I learn. This crap happened to me with the Mini. I ordered the Pro from a BestBuy on the way to work because the people at the BB closest too me didn't know what was going on with the Roamio. Now both the Plus and Pro are showing in stock at the BestBuy closest to me, but the Best Buy I ordered from only has the base Roamio in stock now. And basically the same thing happened to me with the Mini.
Hopefully it shows up thursday or their truck was late today.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #52
aristoBrat

Quote:
When will I learn. This crap happened to me with the Mini. I ordered the Pro from a BestBuy on the way to work because the people at the BB closest too me didn't know what was going on with the Roamio. Now both the Plus and Pro are showing in stock at the BestBuy closest to me, but the Best Buy I ordered from only has the base Roamio in stock now. And basically the same thing happened to me with the Mini.
That's kind of what happened to me.

When I saw another local store had them in stock, I placed an order (for in-store pickup). When I was picking them up, I asked if they could please cancel my unfulfilled order from the other store, which they did with no problem.

The only meh thing was that I used $30 Reward Zone certificates on the unfulfilled order. They'll take ~30 days before they post back to my account and are usable again. So the price for immediate gratification today was no discounts on this order. I'm sure I"ll find something else to use them on though.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #53
innocentfreak

I ended up stopping at Best Buy during lunch. They still don't have any or show any coming in, but they were able to order one for me. They are not a Magnolia store so they would only get the base model.

I went back and forth on the Pro and Plus. I ordered the Pro for now, but I keep debating on switching it to the Plus to upgrade myself.

The Best Buy warranty eats into the savings when you upgrade it yourself compared to the TiVo warranty. We also don't know in the long run if anything will happen to stop upgrades or any potentially issues that could arise. I doubt there will be, but you never know.

Supposedly they will have it Friday night which is when they get their truck, but said it might not show in stock until Saturday.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #54
NYHeel

Quote:
Why not just cancel your old order. Plus then you get to use your gift cards and reward zone certificates.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #55
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
Why not just cancel your old order. Plus then you get to use your gift cards and reward zone certificates.
Because i've had that dance with them in the past and i don't want to repeat it. And also with the no interest financing involved it can be a pain as well especially since Best Buy is in the process of changing credit card companies again. I've learned that it's best to wait until you've picked up your item and had it in your hands for at least a few hours before returning it.

The last time I had to deal with cancelling a higher dollar item, i wasted over two hours on the phone and waiting in the store. And anything I got for my troubles doesn't come anywhere close to compensating me for wasting my time. So now the only way I will deal with something right away if it is an exchange since that is usually straight forward.

I called the Magnolia department where i placed my order and they said it shows five Roamio Pros are supposed to be on their truck on Thursday. So one of those is mine and a couple are from two other people that placed an order. So I guess only two are for regular store stock.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #56
Bwatford141

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Tampa and the surrounding areas still have zero of any model in stock.

I wonder if Best Buy is holding back stock on stores that still have the old models. It is odd that the Roamio has been available and shipping within 1 day, but still not available in over 30 local stores.
Both So. Tampa and Brandon said that they should be getting them "on the Thursday truck".
Bwatford141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #57
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwatford141 View Post
Both So. Tampa and Brandon said that they should be getting them "on the Thursday truck".
South Tampa manager wouldn't even look for me. I think I interrupted his reading. I just ordered in the New Tampa store, but thanks for the info. Might hit Brandon if New Tampa doesn't get mine this Friday or Saturday.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #58
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

I'm showing wide spread availability in my area now for both the pro and plus. The basic is showing as not available.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #59
joelw

Checked BB online yesterday, and it showed the Roamio Plus in stock at my local store (Westbury, NY). I stopped in and asked the salesman for one, and he said they don't have it. Wouldn't check stock because it would be on the shelf if they had it. I went into Magnolia, and they pulled one for me immediately. Way to go, Best Buy - nothing like great customer service
joelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #60
aaronwt
HD Addict

The Magnolia section does seem to give you a higher level of customer service than the rest of the BestBuy store. At least at some Best Buys.