TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
bohr2004

How accurate is '160 hrs of storage?'

I'm pondering the difference between a plus and a pro and was wondering:

If I'm on FIOS, how accurate are the 'hours of storage' numbers? I was under the impression that tivo's just stored the bitstream, so it depended highly on how much the upstream provider compressed.

Anybody know?

(new to tivo's)

Thanks
bohr2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Not very. These things record the digital bitstream as-is so the real number of hours they can hold is entirely dependent on the bitrate used for the programs you record. Back in the old S2 days they were completely accurate because everything was recoded using a constant bitrate, but now they're just guesses based on averages.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

It's a general average, but not terribly far off. It's hard to be exacting since different cableco's use different bitrates. With Fios I've found it to be a pretty decent estimate.

There is a free space meter in the interface, as well as a more specific used/free space indicator in the System Information screen, if you need to micro-manage and keep track of actual free space.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Not very. These things record the digital bitstream as-is so the real number of hours they can hold is entirely dependent on the bitrate used for the programs you record. Back in the old S2 days they were completely accurate because everything was recoded using a constant bitrate, but now they're just guesses based on averages.
Although in the analog days, TiVo stretched the truth with their estimates by assuming you recorded at the lower quality setting. The digital estimates have no way to be accurate like you said but I think it is close enough to actual record times at least.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohr2004 View Post
I'm pondering the difference between a plus and a pro and was wondering:

If I'm on FIOS, how accurate are the 'hours of storage' numbers? I was under the impression that tivo's just stored the bitstream, so it depended highly on how much the upstream provider compressed.

Anybody know?

(new to tivo's)

Thanks
I am OTA only and the size of a 1 hour show varies by over 2GB from my channel with the largest size to the one with the smallest size (all HD). So it really does depend on what you record.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote