TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 52 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #241
leiff

Mark me as one of the cancels
+1 post any here on any sucess calling in here.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #242
aaronwt
HD Addict

I got my Roamio Basic from TiVo today. They transferred the monthly $6.95 rate I had on my Premiere over to it. I just need to wait for it to pull down the activation. Once that is done then I will call back to see if they will offer a deal for lifetime on the Premiere. If they were to offer it for $99 I would take it, but if the offer is $199(which is what I would expect) then it will just go into storage.

I wish I could convince my GF to get a Roamio Basic for OTA. The tuners in it seem to be pretty good at pulling in the stations in my area. There were a couple of stations that had been having issues recently on my Premiere, since the foilage has been off most of the trees. The Roamio BAsic is still pulling in those channels just fine. When I had the S3 it also had the same issues with those stations this time of year. So the S5 tuner seems to be a little better than both the S3 and S4 in my situation.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #243
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I got my Roamio Basic from TiVo today. They transferred the monthly $6.95 rate I had on my Premiere over to it. I just need to wait for it to pull down the activation. Once that is done then I will call back to see if they will offer a deal for lifetime on the Premiere. If they were to offer it for $99 I would take it, but if the offer is $199(which is what I would expect) then it will just go into storage.

I wish I could convince my GF to get a Roamio Basic for OTA. The tuners in it seem to be pretty good at pulling in the stations in my area. There were a couple of stations that had been having issues recently on my Premiere, since the foilage has been off most of the trees. The Roamio BAsic is still pulling in those channels just fine. When I had the S3 it also had the same issues with those stations this time of year. So the S5 tuner seems to be a little better than both the S3 and S4 in my situation.
The threshold is three years, if you have been paying monthly or yearly for service on your Premiere, they'll offer the $99 deal. I got it on my three Premiere's when I upgraded to the Roamio Plus. Adding Lifetime to the Premiere for $99 increased it's value by $300, so I net $200 off each box.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #244
Wpfma

ABT deal still good!

Just ordered the roamio plus from ABT. Back in stock, free shipping, no tax to mass. And $339.00. Did what others have done chat on line then phone call to order. Should be here wed. thanks to all that shared this deal.
Wpfma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #245
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
The threshold is three years, if you have been paying monthly or yearly for service on your Premiere, they'll offer the $99 deal. I got it on my three Premiere's when I upgraded to the Roamio Plus. Adding Lifetime to the Premiere for $99 increased it's value by $300, so I net $200 off each box.
Great!!
I've had the rate since 2007 or 2008. I transferred it from a TiVoHD to a Premiere when they launched. So hopefully they'll do the $99 deal. Although I still wouldn't use it for anything right now. I would probably just keep it around as a backup for my GFs S3 boxes.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #246
Brighton Line

I just called Tivo on the email offer of Roamio Pro $499.99/Plus $349.99
I have Premier activated 2/1/2012 at $14.99 a month and a Premier XL activated 11/12/2010 at $99 a year and an HD with Lifetime (sold but never moved off my account) oh yah and I have a Tivo Stream.
They said if I added a Roamio to my account, only the XL would be elligable for the $99 lifetime upgrade. The Roamio would become primary at $14.99, the Premier (2012) would be multiprice discounted.
So it does prove the 3 year threshold for $99 lifetime.
My Premier has an external drive (no issues for as 4 years on the drive).
I've been passing the $99 a year service from tivo to tivo since my Humax. Never can come up with the cash for the box AND lifetime.

I just wonder if it is worth it to get the $99 on the XL and then sell it to fund the Premier, I would love to replace the Premier over the XL but they won't give me the upgrade on it. Also have to check my cable card if they are NDS then moot point as Cablevision still does not have 6 tuners on that card, SA will work though.

What do you think?
Brighton Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #247
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Absolutely, the XL w/lifetime is worth way more than $100. But check the sold listings on fleabay to see what they're going for before you decide.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #248
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
Sweet!! I just got off the phone with a TiVo CSR and they gave me the $99 price for lifetime on the Premiere. I looked and I originally got the $6.95 rate on a TiVo HD in 2007 and then had it transferred to a launch Premiere in 2010. So the Premiere was on it for over 3.5 years. So this works out great. I can keep it around to use in case my GF has any issues with her S3 boxes.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:39 AM   #249
jwc553911

So this is what i have: 2 TivoHD's Activated lifetime since 05/2008. I want to change 1 (one) of them out for a Roamio Pro. I have a code for $60 off a Pro thru Tivo. What is the best place and pricing for me currently? Is there a $100 off via phone conversation somewhere? Am i eligible for a discounted lifetime or transfer? What should i be paying in my circumstance?
Thanks , Your always helpful!

Sorry, i know i already posted before, but things change quickly and i am ready to buy now.

Last edited by jwc553911 : 11-16-2013 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Info
jwc553911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #250
alyssa

See my sig for what I've got.

Is there any way to get more of a discount on a romeo pro with lifetime for $749.99? I haven't gotten any emails from tivo.
i take it the $99 lifetime offer is only good on Premieres?

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #251
chrispitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
See my sig for what I've got.

Is there any way to get more of a discount on a romeo pro with lifetime for $749.99? I haven't gotten any emails from tivo.
i take it the $99 lifetime offer is only good on Premieres?
Are you referring to the Plus, for $350 plus $400 lifetime? You can save $10 (and perhaps tax) by ordering a Plus from ABT.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #252
alyssa

it was the deal i see on the tivo home screen on my tv. I wasn't quite sure what the breakdown is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #253
leiff

Warning-
Annyone who bought the amazon $250 plus roamio that was cancelled. Your card was charged. It caused me a $35 overdraft fee. I would have noticed except i remember amazon saying in the cancelation email they dont charge. Im pissed and calling amazon. Or maybe your only charged if you used a debt card like me

Last edited by leiff : 11-16-2013 at 08:23 PM.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #254
jwc553911

Well I walked into BestBuy in Lafayette Indiana today and told them about the phone-in $100 off of a Roamio Pro and they didn't even blink. Rung it up as an: Other/phone promo. $499 and even gave me free shipping to my house. (they don't carry them in store) Guess my next argument will be with Tivo over a Lifetime deal. What should I expect? $399 or better?? I will have the unit Wednesday.
jwc553911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:50 AM   #255
Saxion
Substantive Member

Has anyone tried to get a deal on PLS by buying service for a Roamio and several Minis at the same time?
Old 11-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #256
g808

Not the best deal, but I saw my local Costco had the Roamio Plus in store for $350. Might be good to save on shipping and the instant gratification factor.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #257
JulienPDX77

I spoke at length with a customer service person this week about how 3 updates ago; they pretty much destroyed/killed off any third-party (netflix, hulu, amazon..etc) functionality and I'd long since bought a PS3 to be able to do that stuff.

I used that as justification for being able to buy a retail unit and have it swapped and to get a really low rate from now on to offset the cost.

They agreed. I payed 199 at BestBuy for a standard Roamio (don't care about the stream stuff) and my rate as of this month and forward is 8.99 a month. I haven't been on this site in a long time nor have I bothered to read if anyone else was mad like me about how much faster roamio is and how tivo themselves were the ones who screwed up the premiere. The guy said he's taken a ton of calls with similar requests so ill assume most of you have already done so.

Anyway; I have read on this forum today that it looks like upgrades to the roamio are even easier than they were for the premiere. I'll be dropping a 3 or 4TB drive in there when I can some more reading.
JulienPDX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #258
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc553911 View Post
Guess my next argument will be with Tivo over a Lifetime deal. What should I expect? $399 or better?? I will have the unit Wednesday.
Haha. Good luck trying to get a better deal on lifetime.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #259
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by g808 View Post
Not the best deal, but I saw my local Costco had the Roamio Plus in store for $350. Might be good to save on shipping and the instant gratification factor.
TiVo doesn't charge any shipping for a TiVo. Shipping is free.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #260
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulienPDX77 View Post
I spoke at length with a customer service person this week about how 3 updates ago; they pretty much destroyed/killed off any third-party (netflix, hulu, amazon..etc) functionality and I'd long since bought a PS3 to be able to do that stuff.

I used that as justification for being able to buy a retail unit and have it swapped and to get a really low rate from now on to offset the cost.

They agreed. I payed 199 at BestBuy for a standard Roamio (don't care about the stream stuff) and my rate as of this month and forward is 8.99 a month. I haven't been on this site in a long time nor have I bothered to read if anyone else was mad like me about how much faster roamio is and how tivo themselves were the ones who screwed up the premiere. The guy said he's taken a ton of calls with similar requests so ill assume most of you have already done so.

Anyway; I have read on this forum today that it looks like upgrades to the roamio are even easier than they were for the premiere. I'll be dropping a 3 or 4TB drive in there when I can some more reading.
The largest drive you can put in is 3TB. If you want to use a larger one you will need to purchase it from Weaknees. Weakness has a process to get larger than 3TB drives working in the Roamios.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #261
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Quote:
The largest drive you can put in is 3TB. If you want to use a larger one you will need to purchase it from Weaknees. Weakness has a process to get larger than 3TB drives working in the Roamios.
That needs to be clarified. Currently weakness is the only option right now for larger than 3TB. Until someone creates a tool for us DIY'ers.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #262
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
That needs to be clarified. Currently weakness is the only option right now for larger than 3TB. Until someone creates a tool for us DIY'ers.
I don't think the demand for more than 450 h of HD storage is that large that anybody will spend the time to make a DIY option anytime soon. I guess we should do a poll on how many people would use a DIY option for a 4Tb drive. I watch a lot of TV and only have a 2Tb in my Roamio + as 318 h of HD storage is more than I need.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #263
untfan

Not the greatest of deals, but Best Buy is giving a $50 giftcard with the purchase of a (full price) Roamio. Looks to be available online so you could feasibly get discover cash back.
untfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #264
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
<snip>we should do a poll on how many people would use a DIY option for a 4Tb drive.
Raises hand

i would very much like that option- course i don't even have a Roamio yet but that'll happen soon enough

Old 11-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #265
aaronwt
HD Addict

I could certainly have used a 4TB drive in my Roamio Pro. SInce it replaced my two Premiere ELites which each had a 2TB drive. But I made some adjustments to some SPs and my storage seems to hover in the low 90s now. I would prefer it to hover in the 70's which would happen with a 4TB drive, but not enough to really replace the drive.

If I had picked up a Roamio Plus and were replacing the drive, then a DIY solution for a 4TB would have been great. But since I started with a 3TB, it's just not worth the extra money to me right now for only an extra 1TB.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #266
g808

Quote:
TiVo doesn't charge any shipping for a TiVo. Shipping is free.
True, my bad. Still might be good for those who don't like waiting.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:31 AM   #267
videojanitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by untfan View Post
Not the greatest of deals, but Best Buy is giving a $50 giftcard with the purchase of a (full price) Roamio. Looks to be available online so you could feasibly get discover cash back.
I walked into a Best Buy today and picked up a Roamio base model (need OTA only). As the transaction was concluding, the cashier had to call over a manager because the register told her that I was due a $50 gift card. They rung one up for me on the spot, bringing my net cost down to $149. Of course, that means I have to apply it towards something else in the future, but I thought it was pretty sweet!
videojanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #268
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I don't think the demand for more than 450 h of HD storage is that large that anybody will spend the time to make a DIY option anytime soon. I guess we should do a poll on how many people would use a DIY option for a 4Tb drive. I watch a lot of TV and only have a 2Tb in my Roamio + as 318 h of HD storage is more than I need.
I am OTA only so I have more options than users on a cable system that restricts copying.

But the general question of how much storage one needs (ok maybe wants not needs) is interesting.

I went from 3 TiVos with 5.25TB of storage (that was/is 95% full) to 1 TiVo with 300GB. Because it is so easy (and fast) to move shows between my Roamio and my computers I decided to not upgrade my Roamio's hard drive instead I am moving shows onto my 2 computers both have SSD boot drives and 2TB storage drives plus I have several 1TB bare drives I use in USB devices. With the net result being I have over 6TB available for TiVo files. Will interesting to see how much is used by the end of this year's TV season.

But to answer the question I would find 3TB insufficient.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #269
en sabur nur

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I am OTA only so I have more options than users on a cable system that restricts copying.

But the general question of how much storage one needs (ok maybe wants not needs) is interesting.

I went from 3 TiVos with 5.25TB of storage (that was/is 95% full) to 1 TiVo with 300GB. Because it is so easy (and fast) to move shows between my Roamio and my computers I decided to not upgrade my Roamio's hard drive instead I am moving shows onto my 2 computers both have SSD boot drives and 2TB storage drives plus I have several 1TB bare drives I use in USB devices. With the net result being I have over 6TB available for TiVo files. Will interesting to see how much is used by the end of this year's TV season.

If I add more drives in my desktop computer. Will the tivo see the added drives? Or does it only see I drive per computer. I have a some sata drives lying around that I can add to my desktop. Right now, it has a 2tb drive in it. I am also considering a Netgear Nas, which has a Tivo Archiving feature.
en sabur nur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #270
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post

I couldn't do that because the Roamio Basic still transfers to the PC at half the speed of the Roamio Pro. I transferred some shows this morning from my Romaio Basic and got around 92Mb/s transfer rates which still takes a while to transfer an hour long HD show. While my Roamio Pro will transfer at 180Mb/s to the PC. Which still takes some time to transfer an hour long HD show, but at least it's in around half the time as the Roamio Basic.

I prefer to have more local storage and only transfer content the PC for archiving. Now if they implemented streaming from the PC then I could see having less storage on the TiVos and transferring it to the PC for viewing later. Since you would not need to transfer it back.