TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 62 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #181
KeinoDoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I agree it seems a little misleading, but I see in your picture of the offer from TiVo on your tv that there's an arrow pointing down that signifies there's more to the message below. What does it say further down in the message?
I've updated the link to show all the screenshots of the offer. I think it is extremely misleading. I have owned Tivos since 2001, presently have 3 in service. You would think they would consider loyalty as important.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/104845494@N04/
KeinoDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #182
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeinoDoggy View Post
I've updated the link to show all the screenshots of the offer. I think it is extremely misleading. I have owned Tivos since 2001, presently have 3 in service. You would think they would consider loyalty as important.

It sounds like it's the deal I mentioned earlier in the thread. It allows you to transfer your subscription to a Roamio as long as you don't already have a Roamio on your account. But it is the monthly subscription that can be transferred, not lifetime service. If it was lifetime they would specifically mention it and the specific cost to transfer. They would not let you transfer lifetime service for no cost. That would be crazy.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #183
socrplyr

Quote:

Does the particular box that you are seeing the ad on have lifetime service?
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #184
Lyme Greene

I received the offer on my Tivo HD that is transfer of current discounted service (as in the pics). My series 2 with lifetime, that I really want to upgrade, received the discounted lifetime (399) and box offer (199, 349, xxx). I really would love a better offer (99, 199 or even 299 if you let me buy from a retailer) to transfer my Series 2. What would be the harm in a transfer rate? They would make the transfer fee and the box sale off someone like me, who isn't likely to upgrade otherwise (kids TV). What would be Tivo's added cost in this situation?
Lyme Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #185
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme Greene View Post
I received the offer on my Tivo HD that is transfer of current discounted service (as in the pics). My series 2 with lifetime, that I really want to upgrade, received the discounted lifetime (399) and box offer (199, 349, xxx). I really would love a better offer (99, 199 or even 299 if you let me buy from a retailer) to transfer my Series 2. What would be the harm in a transfer rate? They would make the transfer fee and the box sale off someone like me, who isn't likely to upgrade otherwise (kids TV). What would be Tivo's added cost in this situation?
The fact that they lose money on the box sale. All their profit comes from service, and overall, TiVo as a company has never made any money, except for patent litigation, so it's very hard to validly claim that box plus service fees are over-priced.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #186
mattack

Quote:

OK, now I have to look at the deal on mine again.. BTW, I mentioned this earlier in the thread too, but was admittedly vague, since I wasn't near my Tivo.

For me, it's something close to $600 for a Roamio Plus, including lifetime subscription. But IIRC, that is NOT *transferring* service, that is buying a new one with lifetime. Though the prices you list are VERY low/compelling, the prices they give are probably actually better, due to resellability of current Premiere + Tivo Stream.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #187
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
2. The Roamio does everything the Premiere "should have" - While I don't expect Roamio-only features on my Premiere, I *do* expect it to work, and any advertised feature to work.

3. If I wasn't so invested in so many Premieres and HDs, and could afford the cost to replace them with Roamios, I'd probably be more happy than I have in years, and be on here saying
I think the Premiere is slow as dirt in the HD UI (my only experience is with the Premiere 4), but it DOES (mostly) work. I say mostly since *unfortunately* everything has bugs, especially when dealing with external (i.e. non build in, not literally necessarily physically external) hardware like cablecards & tuning adapters.

Also, do you have lifetime subscriptions? Have you done the math as far as upgrading to *fewer* Roamios (due to more tuners)? It might make sense. It comes pretty close to making sense to me (esp with the deal talked about elsewhere, but I have some Best Buy gift cards I want to use so might not take advantage of that deal).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #188
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I think the Premiere is slow as dirt in the HD UI (my only experience is with the Premiere 4), but it DOES (mostly) work. I say mostly since *unfortunately* everything has bugs, especially when dealing with external (i.e. non build in, not literally necessarily physically external) hardware like cablecards & tuning adapters.

Also, do you have lifetime subscriptions? Have you done the math as far as upgrading to *fewer* Roamios (due to more tuners)? It might make sense. It comes pretty close to making sense to me (esp with the deal talked about elsewhere, but I have some Best Buy gift cards I want to use so might not take advantage of that deal).
I hear and understand what you're saying. But if you read my sig, you'd already know that I have lifetimed everything, with 2TB in each one, plus a couple HD's for parts, with no subs. I like that I have so much storage, and can have more than one TiVo record the shows I really would hate to miss when a TA inevitably flakes-out, especially right now, while Cox is moving at least 2 channels a day to SDV, and it's hard top keep all the TAs working when they are messing with the mappings. The linear channels are affected as well, so I have to sometimes watch half from one TiVo, then watch the rest from another...

No matter how great the Roamio may be, it still has a cablecard and TA that can knock it offline, and nothing records, no matter how many tuners it has.

I'd still have to have at least two units, and if I decide I want OTA as a fallback, then three units. I won't be able to front that kind of money any time soon, and ebay is bursting at the seams with used TiVos, that have lost much of their value due to the sheer number for sale, and the word getting around that you really don't want anything but a Roamio...

Cox only charges like $1.50 per cablecard, TAs are free, and I have boxes of new and recertified 2TB drives just waiting to be used...

Now, if I had excess money laying around, instead of excess inventory, I'd at least be trying out a Roamio.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #189
DM3MD157

Quote:
OK, now I have to look at the deal on mine again.. BTW, I mentioned this earlier in the thread too, but was admittedly vague, since I wasn't near my Tivo.

For me, it's something close to $600 for a Roamio Plus, including lifetime subscription. But IIRC, that is NOT *transferring* service, that is buying a new one with lifetime. Though the prices you list are VERY low/compelling, the prices they give are probably actually better, due to resellability of current Premiere + Tivo Stream.
Holy crap, $600 for a Plus with Lifetime? Now I have buyer's remorse for ordering it for $750+ tax. Scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.
DM3MD157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #190
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes some of the current offers would have been sweet back in August when many of us paid retail price for the Roamio models along with $400 MSD lifetime. These current offers with lifetime service are great. As well as the offer to transfer the lower monthly fee, like the old $6.95 subscription.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:07 AM   #191
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
For me, it's something close to $600 for a Roamio Plus, including lifetime subscription.
I don't think that's the correct amount.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #192
aaronwt
HD Addict

They've made some extremely good offers that are easily $200 less than what prices were at launch with MSD pricing. I guess they are really trying to get people to switch from the older models to the new Roamio TiVos?
Old 11-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #193
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I guess they are really trying to get people to switch from the older models to the new Roamio TiVos?
If that is the case, they aren't trying very hard. The deal to transfer a monthly subscription is pretty good if you have one of the lower rates (especially if it is $6.95), but there is really nothing for lifetime owners. $100 off isn't going to get me to jump.
If TiVo was serious about getting users to dump old models, they'd be offering some sort of lifetime transfer deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #194
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
If that is the case, they aren't trying very hard. The deal to transfer a monthly subscription is pretty good if you have one of the lower rates (especially if it is $6.95), but there is really nothing for lifetime owners. $100 off isn't going to get me to jump.
If TiVo was serious about getting users to dump old models, they'd be offering some sort of lifetime transfer deal.
They are offering them with lifetime for between $150 and $300 less(depending on the model), than it cost with lifetime MSD pricing a few months ago. It is more than $100 off. Of course YMMV on those prices and the pricing seems to be for people who don't already have a Roamio on their account. It seems like a big incentive to me. Especially since you could sell your older Lifetime model to cover a nice portion of the lifetime Roamio cost. Of course the caveat is you have to purchase them through TiVo and not have a Roamio on the account.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #195
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
More like $750 for a Plus with lifetime, please say how you can get one for $600.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #196
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
More like $750 for a Plus with lifetime, please say how you can get one for $600.
Agreed. The best reported price for a Roamio Plus so far has been $339 shipped, no tax and the $399 MSD lifetime service for a total of $738
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #197
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
They are offering them with lifetime for between $150 and $300 less(depending on the model), than it cost with lifetime MSD pricing a few months ago. It is more than $100 off.
I don't know where you're getting those figures from but don't think that's true. You get $50 off of Plus MSRP, $100 off of Pro, and the standard MSD lifetime of $100 off. So at most a $200 discount, which is really just $100 since MSD lifetime is a given.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #198
cherry ghost

Quote:
They are offering them with lifetime for between $150 and $300 less(depending on the model), than it cost with lifetime MSD pricing a few months ago. It is more than $100 off.

Where have you seen that?
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #199
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
Agreed. The best reported price for a Roamio Plus so far has been $339 shipped, no tax and the $399 MSD lifetime service for a total of $738
I think he's talking about a Basic. Very annoying when folks don't get the models straight on deals here.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #200
bayern_fan

Quote:
I think he's talking about a Basic. Very annoying when folks don't get the models straight on deals here.
I feel like we should make a sticky about the lowest price per Roamio model from various retailers (like ABT). This could help cut down on incorrect or repetitive information being posted.
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #201
the block

Any guesses at what kind of deals we're going to see on Black Friday / Cyber Monday? Think they'll beat a $738 lifetime plus?
the block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #202
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

I don't know where you're getting those figures from but don't think that's true. You get $50 off of Plus MSRP, $100 off of Pro, and the standard MSD lifetime of $100 off. So at most a $200 discount, which is really just $100 since MSD lifetime is a given.
They are making offers for those discount prices I listed but not for everyone. Again Your Mileage May Vary.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #203
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the block View Post
Any guesses at what kind of deals we're going to see on Black Friday / Cyber Monday? Think they'll beat a $738 lifetime plus?
They already are if you are a lucky enough to get a golden offer which gets you one for $600 instead of the $738 you mentioned.

This is lower than the normal pricing. I have no idea what the critera is to receive the offer. But TiVo has typically had multiple deals out at the same time where they aren't all offered to everyone.

Last edited by aaronwt : 11-12-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #204
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Ok, so, assuming I can get an unbelievable (: deal on the Roamio Plus (I work at Best Buy at night), how does one add a discounted lifetime to it? (The $100 off plan).
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #205
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
Ok, so, assuming I can get an unbelievable (: deal on the Roamio Plus (I work at Best Buy at night), how does one add a discounted lifetime to it? (The $100 off plan).
Use the code PLSR when activating lifetime online.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #206
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
They are making offers for those discount prices I listed but not for everyone. Again Your Mileage May Vary.
Proof please, all you're giving is hearsay. I've seen no one other than mattack claim that they can get a Plus w/lifetime for $600, and I have a feeling he's talking about a Basic. If those deals are out there, we need to know the criteria to get them otherwise it's just a one-off bone that Tivo's throwing to keep someone happy.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #207
Tanquen

Got this email offer today. Anyone think it will get better in the next few months?

Tanquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #208
DM3MD157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post
Got this email offer today. Anyone think it will get better in the next few months?

That is the same deal everyone is getting. Basic= -$25, Plus=-$50, Pro=-$100. You get $100 off of the lifetime if you're an existing customer, but also you get get it as a new customer as well if you use the code PLSR.
DM3MD157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #209
jayn_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post

I don't have lifetime and the offer I got was for transferring existing service. Prices were $179/349/499. That means that your deal is the same as mine if you figure in $399 discounted lifetime. The advantage is that you get to keep the old box activated.
jayn_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #210
Tanquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3MD157 View Post
That is the same deal everyone is getting. Basic= -$25, Plus=-$50, Pro=-$100. You get $100 off of the lifetime if you're an existing customer, but also you get get it as a new customer as well if you use the code PLSR.
So wait then?
Tanquen is offline   Reply With Quote