TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #151
dcpmark

I just had no trouble getting Best Buy to match TiVO's $100 off a Pro tonight. I called first to make sure they would do it before going over there, and asked for a manager. Never got to one. The guy who picked up put me on hold, then initially came back and said that it was $599.99 on TiVO's website. I said that you had to call in to TiVO for $100 off. He put me on hold for 30 secs while he checked with the manager, and then came back on and said "no problem." I'm setting it up as we speak.

As always, YMMV.
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #152
worachj

Don't know anything about this site, but MClego online has Roamio Basic for $159.99 with free shipping. I just bought one using PayPal for $159.99, no tax and free shipping.

http://mclego.com/products.php?produ...252d-TCD846500
Old 11-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #153
pautler

FYI...

You can use the PLSR discount code for $100 off lifetime service even if you buy the Roamio directly from TiVo, however it turns out to be an $85 discount because you have to initially select the monthly $14.99 service plan, wait 31 days until the first $14.99 is charged, and then you can upgrade to lifetime using the code ($399 instead of $499). You can't use the PLSR code until after 31 days have passed and you have paid the $14.99 for the first month.

(I just did this process)

-Joe
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #154
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
...So typically now, since BestBuy matches Amazon prices....
ONLY if Amazon is the seller and not a third party vendor on Amazon...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #155
hooper

I saw on slick deals that someone was able to get their $6.95 plan moved over to a roamio. Anyone else had success doing this?
hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #156
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pautler View Post
FYI...

You can use the PLSR discount code for $100 off lifetime service even if you buy the Roamio directly from TiVo, however it turns out to be an $85 discount because you have to initially select the monthly $14.99 service plan, wait 31 days until the first $14.99 is charged, and then you can upgrade to lifetime using the code ($399 instead of $499). You can't use the PLSR code until after 31 days have passed and you have paid the $14.99 for the first month.

(I just did this process)

-Joe
I phoned and got lifetime for $399 right away without paying that first month you're referring to. And I got my Roamio Pro from BB.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #157
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
ONLY if Amazon is the seller and not a third party vendor on Amazon...
Yes. 80% of my purchases on Amazon are from Amazon and not a third party seller. Less hasseles going through Amazon even if it is a little more expensive than the third party seller.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #158
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

I work for BB one night a week (3 hours), JUST to get the BB discounts.

Pay sucks but discounts are great!

My day work is very close to NH, so my BB discount, plus no sales tax, priceless (relatively speaking, of course!)
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #159
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Phil, can you hook up a fellow Mass hole?
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #160
soobaerodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
Don't know anything about this site, but MClego online has Roamio Basic for $159.99 with free shipping. I just bought one using PayPal for $159.99, no tax and free shipping.

http://mclego.com/products.php?produ...252d-TCD846500
Stay away

Looks like a scam store that never ships.
More reports of not shipping orders

Too bad.

Last edited by soobaerodude : 11-08-2013 at 01:12 PM.
soobaerodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #161
worachj

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobaerodude View Post
Thanks, doesn't look good! That's one reason I used PayPal for another layer of protection. So far everything has been as expected. I received an order confirmation and PayPal confirmation within minutes of ordering. 30 minutes later I received another email stating my order was moved to processing.

Getting it shipped is the problem. The web site claims delivery in 5-10 days so I should find out quickly if they shipped it or if they’re scamming!
Old 11-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #162
lentiman
Ocassional User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooper View Post
I saw on slick deals that someone was able to get their $6.95 plan moved over to a roamio. Anyone else had success doing this?
I'll be doing this on Monday or Tuesday next week. I love my $6.95 plan! I didn't have any problems transferring it to a TiVo HD last year when my S3 died. I don't think I'll have any problems this time either, but we'll see. If they won't transfer it I'll be returning the Roamio.
lentiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #163
scooby2

Took a lot of work but I did get my local BB to price match on the Roamio Pro. PLSR worked like a charm. Now to wait for Comcast to bring me a cable card tomorrow! Thanks everyone for the great thread!
scooby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #164
Wpfma

Thoughts on when to buy?

I am getting ready to buy a roamio plus. I am new to the tivo community. With black friday, cyber monday and the rest of the holiday season approaching does it make sense to wait a bit to see if there would be any better deals or just order through ABT?
Wpfma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #165
psywzrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpfma View Post
I am getting ready to buy a roamio plus. I am new to the tivo community. With black friday, cyber monday and the rest of the holiday season approaching does it make sense to wait a bit to see if there would be any better deals or just order through ABT?
I would love to know the answer to this as well. My S3 is potentially on the verge of dying and I'm thinking about grabbing a Roamio Plus or Pro. They're very pricey though so I'm trying to save money if at all possible.
psywzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #166
aaronwt
HD Addict

I'm going to try to get my $6.95 plan from my OTA Premiere transferred to a Roamio Basic tonight. I need to call them when I get home from work.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #167
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby2 View Post
Any discounts on lifetime for non recent customers? I had the original TiVo with lifetime and most of DirectTivos and am thinking about coming back.
Oh, I guess you mean you don't have a Tivo now?

There's an ad that showed up on my Premiere 4 within the past day or so that seems like a pretty good deal.. But I can see no hints of it at tivo.com. I don't remember what the prices were, someone else can clarify.. I thought it was way less than the $700 that a Roamio Plus with lifetime would be.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #168
hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm going to try to get my $6.95 plan from my OTA Premiere transferred to a Roamio Basic tonight. I need to call them when I get home from work.
Let me know how it goes. The ad on my premiere says you can transfer your current plan + $100 off
Old 11-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #169
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooper View Post
Let me know how it goes. The ad on my premiere says you can transfer your current plan + $100 off
Apparently there is a deal called the "Non PLSR Roamio offer". As long as you don't already have a Roamio on your account, with this offer you can transfer the lower monthly plan from your Premiere to a Roamio that you purchase directly from TiVo. I'm not sure if it's all Roamio models but it is certainly for the Roamio Basic.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #170
hooper

Just ordered a plus from tivo. They guaranteed the $6.95 month plan would transfer. Unfortunately they did hit me with sales tax. Not a bad deal though.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #171
psywzrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
I work for BB one night a week (3 hours), JUST to get the BB discounts.

Pay sucks but discounts are great!

My day work is very close to NH, so my BB discount, plus no sales tax, priceless (relatively speaking, of course!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
Phil, can you hook up a fellow Mass hole?

Not a fellow Mass hole but I'd love a discount too if at all possible. Even if you can't do it, maybe you could point me in the right direction to help me find a decent discount? I'm looking to get a Pro and they're obviously very expensive.
psywzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #172
conitor

Confirmed transfer of $6.95 plan tonight to Roamio Pro
conitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #173
adaymerced

Tried Best Buy last night with a photo on my iPad of the offer screen from the TiVo offer that comes through on the TiVo Unit. Best Buy wouldn't go for anything that they couldn't find on the internet. Figured I'd also try Fry's Electronics since they also had the unit and it was in the neighborhood. No joy there either.

I could order it online through ABT or Tivo and get the discount, but now my stubborn streak kicks in and I want to figure out how to get Best Buy to go for it. That and I'm about to travel for a week and would rather pick it up in person than worry about getting something shipped to my house while I'm out of town for an extended period.
adaymerced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #174
laria
Librocubicularist

I plan to try Best Buy next month because we get BB gift cards for the holidays usually, and I'll get some reward points, and there's the instant gratification. I have the email offer to show them, but if they don't take it, oh well... we don't have sales tax here so I don't care about ordering it directly from TiVo.

Edit: Maybe it was only Amazon that tax was an issue...
Old 11-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #175
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
and there's the instant gratification.
We bought TiVo hardware about six weeks ago and purchased from Best Buy. 80% for the instant gratification, and 20% for an easy "return" if something went wrong with the change-over from Comcast equipment to TiVo equipment.

My original plan was to keep the Comcast STBs for a month -- give us plenty of time to evaluate TiVo. By day 2 everyone in the household was saying to go ahead and return the Comcast stuff. I did so -- the next weekend.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #176
kemnyc

Love my Roamio so far!

I just bought a Roamio Plus and so far, so good. I had it set up when my cable technician came to set me up with cable (I'd been using OTA with my Premiere) and setup took a few phone calls but wasn't too bad. So far, I've had none of the bugs I had with the Netflix and Hulu apps on the Premiere. The faster processor means I actually use the features that I think I theoretically could have used on the Premiere, but didn't because the HD menus were too slow - for example, if I see an old movie in the suggestions bar but it's not available on Netflix (which it tells me), I can quickly create a wish list so that TiVo will record it if it ever shows up on cable. Awesome.

I've always loved TiVo, but the Premiere was not ready for prime time and really changed my view of the company. The Roamio seems to finally be delivering what the Premiere promised (plus there's the other cool stuff like streaming that I haven't tried yet).

For those on the fence or considering waiting for the holidays for a better deal: The Roamio is getting great reviews, including a recent one in the NY Times. It is a MUCH better product than the Premiere was. If you wait, there's a decent chance it will sell out.

Here's how I made the decision: Assume you'll keep your TiVo for at least 3 years (I kept one of mine for 9). You can get a 3-year extended warranty from TiVo for $40 if you want to make sure to get the full return on your investment. Do the math: if you keep it for 3 years, your monthly cost ranges from $18 for the basic to $28 for the Pro (paying full price and using the PSLR code to get lifetime service). Add in the cost of your cable card. Compare that to what your cable provider would charge you for a DVR set-top box. Then factor in the value to you of the advantages (better interface, probably much more space based on all my friends' complaints about their cable DVRs; ability to integrate Netflix, Hulu; etc.; less need for pay per view because you more easily find things you like on cable) and disadvantages (inability to use VOD, although why anyone would prefer that to TiVo I can't imagine). If you think you'll like the TiVo better, and the cost is comparable to a cable DVR, then it may make sense to pull the trigger rather than wait hoping for a "deal."

Also, keep in mind that you'll probably be able to sell your unit with lifetime for a good amount of money when you're ready to upgrade, so that also sweetens the deal. Premieres with lifetime still go for hundreds of dollars on EBay, even though they suck compared to the Roamio.

I went with the Plus, and my monthly cost of $25.33 is only slightly higher than what Cablevision and FioS charge for a DVR that has a much smaller capacity and is not user-friendly at all. Hopefully I'll keep the Roamio even longer, and/or sell it for a decent amount of money in a few years, so I may end up better off financially. But even if I don't, I think the extra money will be well worth it.

I know this is a thread about "deals," but based on my experience so far I think the Roamio is a steal at any price. That's worth keeping in mind - don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good!
kemnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #177
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemnyc View Post
I just bought a Roamio Plus and so far, so good. I had it set up when my cable technician came to set me up with cable (I'd been using OTA with my Premiere) and setup took a few phone calls but wasn't too bad. So far, I've had none of the bugs I had with the Netflix and Hulu apps on the Premiere. The faster processor means I actually use the features that I think I theoretically could have used on the Premiere, but didn't because the HD menus were too slow - for example, if I see an old movie in the suggestions bar but it's not available on Netflix (which it tells me), I can quickly create a wish list so that TiVo will record it if it ever shows up on cable. Awesome.

I've always loved TiVo, but the Premiere was not ready for prime time and really changed my view of the company. The Roamio seems to finally be delivering what the Premiere promised (plus there's the other cool stuff like streaming that I haven't tried yet).
<snip>
While I'm happy for those who can afford the Roamio platform, this post says many of my own sentiments about the Premiere.

1. They sold the Premiere as the "One Box" - Yep, the one box that makes a relaxing break to watch TV and let the stress slip away, become the new stressor and I don't feel relaxed when using it.

2. The Roamio does everything the Premiere "should have" - While I don't expect Roamio-only features on my Premiere, I *do* expect it to work, and any advertised feature to work.

3. If I wasn't so invested in so many Premieres and HDs, and could afford the cost to replace them with Roamios, I'd probably be more happy than I have in years, and be on here saying so. - But, when a company fails to deliver what I paid for and/or the product is always malfunctioning, and I'm always the "only one to report the problem" or "the first one to", see so many others having those problems and getting those same lines, and I get no compensation or adequate discount on the newer model, just to get something to do what the old one was supposed to, I reconsider if I want to give that company my business anymore.

But, again, I'm not going to be a hater of everybody who posts that their Roamio is doing the things the Premiere was supposed to, and doing them well. So, good for you. Enjoy.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #178
KeinoDoggy

So I see this advertisement displayed on my Tivo today and thought I would call and order a Roamio plus and transfer my lifetime service from another unit. My service agent totally refused, saying it is impossible to transfer a lifetime service. I pointed out the ad stating I could transfer a service to a new Roamio. She still refused. I think this is totally false advertising and told her so.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1048454...2794/lightbox/
KeinoDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #179
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post

While I'm happy for those who can afford the Roamio platform, this post says many of my own sentiments about the Premiere.

1. They sold the Premiere as the "One Box" - Yep, the one box that makes a relaxing break to watch TV and let the stress slip away, become the new stressor and I don't feel relaxed when using it.

2. The Roamio does everything the Premiere "should have" - While I don't expect Roamio-only features on my Premiere, I *do* expect it to work, and any advertised feature to work.

3. If I wasn't so invested in so many Premieres and HDs, and could afford the cost to replace them with Roamios, I'd probably be more happy than I have in years, and be on here saying so. - But, when a company fails to deliver what I paid for and/or the product is always malfunctioning, and I'm always the "only one to report the problem" or "the first one to", see so many others having those problems and getting those same lines, and I get no compensation or adequate discount on the newer model, just to get something to do what the old one was supposed to, I reconsider if I want to give that company my business anymore.

But, again, I'm not going to be a hater of everybody who posts that their Roamio is doing the things the Premiere was supposed to, and doing them well. So, good for you. Enjoy.
Bravo, well said!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #180
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeinoDoggy View Post
So I see this advertisement displayed on my Tivo today and thought I would call and order a Roamio plus and transfer my lifetime service from another unit. My service agent totally refused, saying it is impossible to transfer a lifetime service. I pointed out the ad stating I could transfer a service to a new Roamio. She still refused. I think this is totally false advertising and told her so.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1048454...2794/lightbox/
I agree it seems a little misleading, but I see in your picture of the offer from TiVo on your tv that there's an arrow pointing down that signifies there's more to the message below. What does it say further down in the message?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote