TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 72 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #1351
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
PLS for $49.99? Gotta be a typo. Someone jump on it before they correct it.
It not a typo as you have to pay full list price for Roamio Pro, so current TiVo customers are saving $350 on a Lifetime Roamio Pro. I got all the way to place your order and it worked, so if you want/need a Roamio Pro it is a good deal.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #1352
TazExprez

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
It not a typo as you have to pay full list price for Roamio Pro, so current TiVo customers are saving $350 on a Lifetime Roamio Pro. I got all the way to place your order and it worked, so if you want/need a Roamio Pro it is a good deal.
Could you use this if you are a new customer?
TazExprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #1353
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Well, I think its a typo because PLS is $499.99 and the offer is $49.99 which is 1 digit #9 left off. The deal will go through with the offer at $49.99, as normal, until its taken down.

Its similar to when they had the airline tickets posted for some insane price like $10 many moons ago, until it was caught and taken down, people jumped in on it and the airline had to accept the tickets.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 08-01-2014 at 09:46 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #1354
TazExprez

I placed order but it just reloads. I guess it was just an error.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #1355
TazExprez

It definitely went through. I noticed because my credit card got charged 3 times. Now I have to call TiVo and cancel 2 of them. I reloaded the page and ordered 3.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #1356
Abbottj123

I posted it on slickdeals before i realised it doesnt work. I have 4 pending charges on my cc from tivo. I called tivo twice, hoping to get a rep that would honor the deal. They said they couldnt unless i had the promo code in a specific email. Oh well. The rep said another big sale is coming labor day if i want to wait.
Abbottj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #1357
TazExprez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbottj123 View Post
I posted it on slickdeals before i realised it doesnt work. I have 4 pending charges on my cc from tivo. I called tivo twice, hoping to get a rep that would honor the deal. They said they couldnt unless i had the promo code in a specific email. Oh well. The rep said another big sale is coming labor day if i want to wait.
Thanks a lot for letting me know. I guess I will call them to get the pending charges removed. I'll be buying during the Labor Day sales, then.

Do you know if they have ever discounted the TiVo Mini boxes? I also want to get 6 of those.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #1358
TigerTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
That's an old offer. From June. Expired. And was only targeted to users who still own/run series 2 Tivos with lifetime. Or so I read on a deals site.
Link to first page of that promotion.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/agent/s2-aggressive-upgrade

TigerTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #1359
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by spherular View Post
Also you get a lower price on the 4-tuner OTA, Pro and Stream too
Thanks bought a couple of minis today for $175 per with the code.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #1360
lessd

I just got a new Roamio deal from my E-Mail

Special offer for veterans and active duty military personnel

We at TiVo appreciate those who have served our nation, past and present. To show our gratitude we're offering exclusive pricing on the all-powerful TiVo Roamio. Starting as low as $0 down and $19.99 a month, our military friends can experience the convenience and flexibility served up by our best DVR ever, TiVo Roamio

Go here to see the deal http://www.tivo.com/military?em_AugNews_2014

I not in the service but the deal for $99 + $19.99/month for a Roamio Plus may be a good deal if after some fixed amount of time you get Lifetime on the unit, if not after 2 years you have paid for Lifetime service like purchasing the Roamio Plus using the E-Bay codes. Maybe I not seeing something about this deal as to why it is so good for our service people.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #1361
lemieuxfan67

Quote:

I not in the service but the deal for $99 + $19.99/month for a Roamio Plus may be a good deal if after some fixed amount of time you get Lifetime on the unit, if not after 2 years you have paid for Lifetime service like purchasing the Roamio Plus using the E-Bay codes. Maybe I not seeing something about this deal as to why it is so good for our service people.
From the same page....

What happens when I complete my commitment?

After the end of your commitment, TiVo will continue to charge you on a monthly basis at the then-current monthly rate. See terms & conditions for TiVo payment plans for details. Keeping your account and credit card information current will help you avoid any interruptions in service
lemieuxfan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #1362
squint

Anybody going to enlist so they can take advantage of this deal?
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #1363
mobouser

I got the military offer and code. Its a good deal but you cannot convert to lifetime until the end of the two year period I think. I was going to wait until around labor day to see if their are any deals on the basic unit (4 tuner for OTA) with MSD lifetime. However on the six tuner plus this is equal to 7.50 monthly discounted price. This really becomes a super deal if I could convert this to lifetime and not wait for the two year time period.
mobouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #1364
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxfan67 View Post

From the same page....

What happens when I complete my commitment?

After the end of your commitment, TiVo will continue to charge you on a monthly basis at the then-current monthly rate. See terms & conditions for TiVo payment plans for details. Keeping your account and credit card information current will help you avoid any interruptions in service
That is normally the case. It is the reason I still have a $6.95 a month rate on one of my TiVos. When the initial three month commitment period expired, they contiued to charge me that rate every month. As long as I don't sign up for another commitment, I can keep that rate. Well at least that has been the case so far. I've had that $6.95 rate for seven years. First on a TiVo HD, then on a Premiere, and now on a Roamio Basic.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #1365
HarperVision

I'm thinking of taking them up on this offer. Anybody interested in my Lifetime TiVo Roamio basic?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #1366
husky55

Is DD214 proof enough for a veteran? What else is required for a vet?

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #1367
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky55 View Post
Is DD214 proof enough for a veteran?
I would think that it would be. I'd want to be sure that they use it only for verification and do not keep it on file.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #1368
HarperVision

They're using something called "SheerID" to verify you online and then you're given a code to input on a special page for this deal, which then places the items in your cart.

I'm on the fence with this. It seems like a great deal but I'm not sure I want to be locked into a 2 year commitment for cable since I'll get the plus or pro.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #1369
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
They're using something called "SheerID" to verify you online and then you're given a code to input on a special page for this deal, which then places the items in your cart.

I'm on the fence with this. It seems like a great deal but I'm not sure I want to be locked into a 2 year commitment for cable since I'll get the plus or pro.
I at a loss as to why this is a good deal, using the E-Bay code a Roamio Plus is $600 inc Lifetime, with this TiVo deal you put down $100 and pay $20/month for two years, at that time you have no equity in your TiVo and you saved about $40 over the purchase of a lifetime TiVo, one would be better off finding a low interest rate credit card and charge the $480 to that card, pay the card back $20/month (its $480 as you have to pay TiVo $100 for the Roamio Plus + the first month rent).
I must be missing something

Old 08-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #1370
lpwcomp

Quote:
I at a loss as to why this is a good deal, using the E-Bay code a Roamio Plus is $600 inc Lifetime, with this TiVo deal you put down $100 and pay $20/month for two years, at that time you have no equity in your TiVo and you saved about $40 over the purchase of a lifetime TiVo, one would be better off finding a low interest rate credit card and charge the $480 to that card, pay the card back $20/month (its $480 as you have to pay TiVo $100 for the Roamio Plus + the first month rent).
I must be missing something
While I don't consider this to be a "good" deal, I can understand why it might be attractive to some people. I took advantage of a similar deal when I purchased my Premieres. I couldn't qualify for a credit card nor did I have the COH to pay full price + PLS but I did have have enough disposable income to make the monthly service payments.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #1371
HarperVision

Quote:
I at a loss as to why this is a good deal, using the E-Bay code a Roamio Plus is $600 inc Lifetime, with this TiVo deal you put down $100 and pay $20/month for two years, at that time you have no equity in your TiVo and you saved about $40 over the purchase of a lifetime TiVo, one would be better off finding a low interest rate credit card and charge the $480 to that card, pay the card back $20/month (its $480 as you have to pay TiVo $100 for the Roamio Plus + the first month rent). I must be missing something
It basically comes down to the fact that I have 2 kids in private school, one about to be going to college, I live I Hawaii and I DO NOT want any more debt that can effect my credit scores etc so this is an easy option to pay $99 down and then only $20/month ($480 for the 2 year commitment) for a total of $579 after 2 years when the commitment is up. I figure after that I call up to cancel and I'm offered the $99 Lifetime deal for a total of $678 for a Lifetime TiVo Roamio Plus (technically a Pro as I'll be putting in my 3TB HD). Doesn't that sound like a reasonable plan that won't show on my credit reports as debt? (Edited bad math haha!)
Old 08-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #1372
Dan203
Super Moderator

My thoughts from the coffehouse thread on the same subject...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
These are basically the same plans they tried to sell everyone a few years ago. I wonder why they are trying to pass them off as a military discount now?

The biggest problem with these deals back then was that after the contract period expired, and you owned the unit, they would continue to charge you $20/mo unless you called and asked to be lowered to the regular monthly rate. So it was basically a scam to get you locked into paying a higher rate for life unless you're paying attention.

Reducing the cost of the hardware, or giving it away for free, in favor of a higher monthly rate is something they've actually tried several times in the past. It's always failed. I don't get the logic of doing it again and trying to pass it off as some sort of special military "discount".

Do the math... You pay $5/mo extra for 2 years, that's $120. Which means in reality it's only about an $80 discount over the full MSRP and only about $25 compared to Amazon. And if you forget to call and ask for the normal price when the 2 year commitment is up you eat into your discount $5 at a time until you do.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #1373
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
It basically comes down to the fact that I have 2 kids in private school, one about to be going to college, I live I Hawaii and I DO NOT want any more debt that can effect my credit scores etc so this is an easy option to pay $99 down and then only $20/month ($480 for the 2 year commitment) for a total of $579 after 2 years when the commitment is up. I figure after that I call up to cancel and I'm offered the $99 Lifetime deal for a total of $678 for a Lifetime TiVo Roamio Plus (technically a Pro as I'll be putting in my 3TB HD). Doesn't that sound like a reasonable plan that won't show on my credit reports as debt? (Edited bad math haha!)
You're banking on them offering you the $99 lifetime deal after just two years? I wouldn't. People still have trouble getting that on a Premiere that's 3+ years old. Most are told the best they can do is $199. And some are told there is no deal.

The $99 deal is only guaranteed to be offered when canceling a S3 or older box. No way I would count on it being offered on a Roamio any time soon. So if I were you I'd look at the deal as if it's going to be monthly forever. Which means after 2 years it'll drop to $15/mo but it'll have little to no resale value. If you're OK with that then go for it.

In fact, given the uncertainty with the cable market and the various FCC rulings/waivers, all Roamios might be worthless in the next few years anyway. So for all we know this might turn out to be the better deal. Charter has a waiver that says if they come up with a downloadable security system that is open and supported by at least one retail device they can stop issuing new CableCARDs completely. If that happens then a used TiVo that takes a CableCARD will be useless to a Charter subscriber. And how long do you think it'll take for the others to follow suit? We could all be on borrowed time anyway.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:14 AM   #1374
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I agree with Dan203.

[EDIT] There was much more here. But, I guess I found a new way to offend people. I decided it's best to just excuse myself, rather than try to rewrite it.

I can't be an expert on everything, and foresee every possible "conflation" (which is a word I need to look up).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-23-2014 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Political Correctness correction
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:17 AM   #1375
lpwcomp

nooneuknow,

Please do not conflate "veterans" and "active duty military".

Old 08-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #1376
Ikrion

Has anyone had success negotiating the monthly service fees? I'm wondering if over online chat, or calling, these can be brought down.

I understand there is some moderate success attempting to negotiate the lifetime cost after use of the box at the monthly rate. But what of the monthly rate? Anyone gotten that down?
Ikrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #1377
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikrion View Post
Has anyone had success negotiating the monthly service fees? I'm wondering if over online chat, or calling, these can be brought down.

I understand there is some moderate success attempting to negotiate the lifetime cost after use of the box at the monthly rate. But what of the monthly rate? Anyone gotten that down?
I've never heard of that ever happening other than long time members being able to transfer their old cheaper monthly service to a new box. In general, they don't negotiate monthly prices.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:24 PM   #1378
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Roamio Deals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
I've never heard of that ever happening other than long time members being able to transfer their old cheaper monthly service to a new box. In general, they don't negotiate monthly prices.

I was able to do just that when I purchased my XL4 20 months ago. Was able to save a chunk of change when they allowed me to transfer my lower monthly rate from an S3. I've been a TiVo customer for 10 years now.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #1379
Ikrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I was able to do just that when I purchased my XL4 20 months ago. Was able to save a chunk of change when they allowed me to transfer my lower monthly rate from an S3. I've been a TiVo customer for 10 years now.
At least they are rewarding loyalty...
Old 09-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #1380
Ikrion

Just got back from Best Buy and they honored the $50 off promotion (KICKOFF) that TiVo is doing right now.

I did call ahead and confirm with a Manager, but they were happy to oblige. I showed that the MFG had it on sale and showed the price. They agreed.

Good way to get it local if you don't want to wait.