TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 4.88 average.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #1201
squint

From the sellmoretivo site:

Quote:
Only certain current employees identified by TiVo of the retailers for which this promotion was designated (the "Retailers") are eligible for this promotion. User must pass employment verification by TiVo, and must receive an award code from TiVo to be eligible. Furthermore, you must remain an eligible employee of Retailer to continue to receive Promotional Subscription pricing as part of this Offer. This Offer is non-transferable.

squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:41 AM   #1202
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The fact that people that TiVo did not intend to use these codes did use these codes may be the part that is unfair to TiVo.
That is TiVo's fault for not writing their contract terms better and for handing out these codes like candy. Courts don't save parties from their own poorly written contracts unless the result is so egregious as to be unconscionable. And even then, if a court allowed TiVo to legally void the contract, that same court would make TiVo refund your money. That's what voiding a contract means, both sides would have to give back what they got, so TiVo refunds you your money and you give them back their DVR. You think TiVo would want to void their contract and buy back their DVR from you? No way they would ever want that.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #1203
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
Obviously TiVo isn't doing the "employment verification". And, as I said, exactly how does this differ from an actual physical transfer of the TiVo after purchase?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #1204
tarheelblue32

Quote:

Only certain current employees identified by TiVo of the retailers for which this promotion was designated (the "Retailers") are eligible for this promotion. User must pass employment verification by TiVo, and must receive an award code from TiVo to be eligible. Furthermore, you must remain an eligible employee of Retailer to continue to receive Promotional Subscription pricing as part of this Offer. This Offer is non-transferable.
And it also says:

"In the event that you are no longer an eligible employee of Retailer, or TiVo otherwise discontinues this Offer and/or the Promotional Subscription pricing, your existing subscription to the TiVo service received as part of this offer shall revert to the then current one (1) year monthly TiVo subscription price."

So if you are not eligible for the promotion discount, and you selected monthly service, then they could revert you back to the normal monthly fee. But if you selected lifetime service, then they can't do anything. Another excellent reason to choose lifetime service over monthly service.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #1205
squint

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Obviously TiVo isn't doing the "employment verification". And, as I said, exactly how does this differ from an actual physical transfer of the TiVo after purchase?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
So if you are not eligible for the promotion discount, and you selected monthly service, then they could revert you back to the normal monthly fee. But if you selected lifetime service, then they can't do anything. Another excellent reason to choose lifetime service over monthly service.
In the past, there were employee-owned units that had lifetime but changed to closed account status when their employment ended.

I think buying lifetime units using these codes is pretty safe. I have a small stash of codes I haven't used yet.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #1206
tarheelblue32

Quote:
In the past, there were employee-owned units that had lifetime but changed to closed account status when their employment ended.
On those units, did the employee actually have to pay for the lifetime service that was subsequently cancelled, or was the service just complementary from TiVo from the start?
Old 06-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #1207
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Amazon $169 with prime shipping, not sure why TiVo.com is so much more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #1208
squint

Quote:
On those units, did the employee actually have to pay for the lifetime service that was subsequently cancelled, or was the service just complementary from TiVo from the start?
I'm not certain but I think it was complimentary for current employees. However, the people who bought them secondhand got a nasty surprise.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #1209
tarheelblue32

Quote:
I'm not certain but I think it was complimentary for current employees. However, the people who bought them secondhand got a nasty surprise.
That makes sense. If the service was complementary, then there was no consideration paid for it, therefore it could be revoked at any time. But if you actually pay something directly to TiVo for the lifetime service, which you do when you use these ebay codes, then there is consideration and they can't simply take it away from you without compensating you (returning your money to you).
Old 06-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #1210
lessd

Quote:
That is TiVo's fault for not writing their contract terms better and for handing out these codes like candy. Courts don't save parties from their own poorly written contracts unless the result is so egregious as to be unconscionable. And even then, if a court allowed TiVo to legally void the contract, that same court would make TiVo refund your money. That's what voiding a contract means, both sides would have to give back what they got, so TiVo refunds you your money and you give them back their DVR. You think TiVo would want to void their contract and buy back their DVR from you? No way they would ever want that.
As I stated before I think TiVo is doing this to get more sales without getting the retail stores mad, they, IMHO, will not go back on any Lifetime service purchased by non authorized people.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #1211
tarheelblue32

Quote:
As I stated before I think TiVo is doing this to get more sales without getting the retail stores mad, they, IMHO, will not go back on any Lifetime service purchased by non authorized people.
And my point is that they can't legally go back on it even if they wanted to.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:20 AM   #1212
HarperVision

Quote:
Exactly, or they wouldn't be giving one salesperson 3 codes for completing the training.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #1213
Farplaner

Thanks very much. I took the second code (The first one was already taken)
Farplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #1214
lessd

Quote:
And my point is that they can't legally go back on it even if they wanted to.
When it comes to the law, never say never.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #1215
tarheelblue32

Quote:
When it comes to the law, never say never.
Speaking as a lawyer, the law in most legal areas isn't as fickle as many people commonly believe. This is because 99.999% of the time the legal result is exactly as expected and thus never gets reported. It is only the very rare, sensational legal outcome that get attention in the media.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #1216
lessd

Quote:
Speaking as a lawyer, the law in most legal areas isn't as fickle as many people commonly believe. This is because 99.999% of the time the legal result is exactly as expected and thus never gets reported. It is only the very rare, sensational legal outcomes that get attention in the media.
I agree with you statement law in most legal areas isn't so fickle , the TiVo case is one that is somewhat undefined, but will never be tested in court as it too small amount of money.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #1217
tarheelblue32

Quote:
I agree with you statement law in most legal areas isn't so fickle , the TiVo case is one that is somewhat undefined, but will never be tested in court as it too small amount of money.
Contract law is well tested, and this all boils down to basic contract law.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:35 AM   #1218
flar

Quote:
Originally Posted by spherular View Post
So I've created the TiVo Community Forum Code that entitles anyone from this site to $10 off any price listed.

The code is COMMUNITY (it is case sensitive)

Thanks so much for your support in getting spherular.com off the ground. A few of the $20 off codes are still available so get them while you can! By the way, codes can not be combined, sorry.
No, thank *you* for getting these codes into the hands of the enthusiasts that will drive some sales and provide a larger base of feedback on these forums.

I snagged a code for a friend that I'm trying to convince to update her frankentivohome (Tivo HD, Tivo 2, Comcast DVR) to a Pro/Mini/Mini system. She may not want to move on this right away as she is currently doing reconstruction on her current A/V built-in-wall system for a new TV and may want to let the bills settle before she changes out her TiVos, but earlier you mentioned that there was no expiration date on the codes. Hopefully August/September or so...
selling TiVo Series 3, WD10EVCS, lifetime from Series 2
retired TiVo Series 2, 80 hour
flar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #1219
Diana Collins

Quote:
The fact that people that TiVo did not intend to use these codes did use these codes may be the part that is unfair to TiVo.
Fair enough. I don't know about anyone else, but my billing history show my purchases as a "Friends and Family" discount, so I'm not concerned.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #1220
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
Fair enough. I don't know about anyone else, but my billing history show my purchases as a "Friends and Family" discount, so I'm not concerned.
Well then I think you are pretty safe. TiVo would never terminate service to their "friends and family".
Old 06-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #1221
lessd

Quote:
I just used the code for my order and my order history just has order placed, at what point does it show "Friends and Family"

Old 06-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #1222
spherular

Quote:
I just used the code for my order and my order history just has order placed, at what point does it show "Friends and Family"
Friends and Family shows up on the monthly invoice for those not opting for "Lifetime".
spherular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #1223
Diana Collins

I opted for lifetime on all my units..."Friends and Family" shows up in the 'Billing History' for the box.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #1224
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Aren't we all just a big Tivo "Family?"

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #1225
lessd

Quote:
I opted for lifetime on all my units..."Friends and Family" shows up in the 'Billing History' for the box.
I just looked and I don't see any ."Friends and Family" in the billing history

Current billing information .

Payment plan: TiVo Mini Bundle, Product Lifetime .

Account Status: Lifetime Service .

Payment plan start date: Jun 26, 2014 .

Credit card on file: .

Expiration date: Mar 2015 .

Card holder's name: xxxxxxx.

Current balance due: $0.00 .

Action

Date

Transaction information

Amount

Sales tax

Total

Billed Jun 26, 2014 TiVo Mini Bundle, Product Lifetime $124.01 $1.24 $125.25
Billed Jun 26, 2014 HW Upgrade TiVo Mini $49.99 $3.17 $53.16
Settled Jun 26, 2014 Charged to: xXXX XXXX XXXxxxx $174.00 $4.41 ($178.41)

Line items may not equal total amount because billing details prior to 2001 are not displayed.
Please allow up to two business days for new transactions to appear on this screen.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #1226
trickymost

Just a heads up to everyone, TiVo is cracking down on those who acquired sellmoretivo codes who are not entitled to them.

I found out when TiVo allowed me to place an order using a code purchased through eBay.

I purchased a Roamio Pro + lifetime, but received my Roamio unactivated. When TiVo CS looked into it, they said I needed to pick a valid service plan. I explained there must be a mistake, I purchased a plan when I purchased the TiVo, and further to my knowledge TiVo does not ship devices un-activated.

The CS people were nice but utterly useless. A 3 business day CS investigation later, TiVo informed me the code I used belonged to someone who works at Frys, and as such I had violated the terms of the program and they could not give me the discounted lifetime price.

They gave me 2 options:

1. Keep the hardware at the discounted price, but pay either $399 for lifetime or $14.99/month with 1 year commitment.
2. RMA for a refund.

I RMA'd it, but guess what? TiVo only refunded me for the hardware. I called CS and raised holy hell, and the short of it was they apologized, but said there are glitches in their billing and activation systems causing all sorts of havoc, and so they can't refund me the full $ I initially paid for lifetime, because there is no record on their end I paid for any service.

Thankfully I have an email invoice from TiVo showing the hardware + service plan purchased, and thankfully I used an AMEX, so I've filed a dispute and expect to have it resolved in my favor shortly.

If you purchased or plan on purchasing a code, buyer beware. Between TiVo's incompetence and the fact these codes are not intended for the public, you are definitely taking a risk buying a code.
trickymost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #1227
aridon

I don't see friend and family anywhere on my account or in the billing history. I bought the code in early April though.

Given the number of feedfback on Ebay they might be starting to crack down. We won't really know until more people speak up if your experience was a fluke or even based on truth.

If they are cracking down then it should become obvious really quickly.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...&mPg=17&page=6
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #1228
spherular

I think it is all units being shipped not those bought with codes.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...php?p=10164228
spherular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #1229
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickymost View Post
Just a heads up to everyone, TiVo is cracking down on those who acquired sellmoretivo codes who are not entitled to them.

I found out when TiVo allowed me to place an order using a code purchased through eBay.

I purchased a Roamio Pro + lifetime, but received my Roamio unactivated. When TiVo CS looked into it, they said I needed to pick a valid service plan. I explained there must be a mistake, I purchased a plan when I purchased the TiVo, and further to my knowledge TiVo does not ship devices un-activated.

The CS people were nice but utterly useless. A 3 business day CS investigation later, TiVo informed me the code I used belonged to someone who works at Frys, and as such I had violated the terms of the program and they could not give me the discounted lifetime price.

They gave me 2 options:

1. Keep the hardware at the discounted price, but pay either $399 for lifetime or $14.99/month with 1 year commitment.
2. RMA for a refund.

I RMA'd it, but guess what? TiVo only refunded me for the hardware. I called CS and raised holy hell, and the short of it was they apologized, but said there are glitches in their billing and activation systems causing all sorts of havoc, and so they can't refund me the full $ I initially paid for lifetime, because there is no record on their end I paid for any service.

Thankfully I have an email invoice from TiVo showing the hardware + service plan purchased, and thankfully I used an AMEX, so I've filed a dispute and expect to have it resolved in my favor shortly.

If you purchased or plan on purchasing a code, buyer beware. Between TiVo's incompetence and the fact these codes are not intended for the public, you are definitely taking a risk buying a code.
The 64,000 question is will TiVo go back to check on the rest of the people that used the codes ?? or is it just a problem as stated above by spherular that all TiVo are going out un-activated, and when fixed all the TiVo will get the activation.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #1230
squint

If it was a problem with all Tivos then why was the use of a code even an issue when it came to trickymost's Roamio?