TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 72 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #961
rassi

If I buy a Roamio from another vendor, can I buy lifetime for it from TiVo, or do I have to buy the Roamio from TiVo to get lifetime for it?
rassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #962
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rassi View Post
If I buy a Roamio from another vendor, can I buy lifetime for it from TiVo, or do I have to buy the Roamio from TiVo to get lifetime for it?
You can buy the Roamio from anywhere and buy Lifetime from Tivo during activation.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #963
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rassi View Post
Yes you can, you have 30 days in case something goes wrong with it and can be move to another.
Its $499.99 if its your first box, $399.99 for subsequent boxes, FYI.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #964
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Yes you can, you have 30 days in case something goes wrong with it and can be move to another.
Its $499.99 if its your first box, $399.99 for subsequent boxes, FYI.
Or $399.99 on the first box if you use the code "PLSR".
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #965
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Or $399.99 on the first box if you use the code "PLSR".
Isn't that code defunct now?
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #966
imacericg

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Nope. Used it yesterday.
imacericg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #967
Brighton Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyluc View Post
I tried to get on the phone with Tivo to get the $99 offer to upgrade the Tivo to lifetime and the CSR wouldn't budge. Any recommendations or advice?
First time I called CSR gave me $99 on a 3+ Year old Premier. Would not budge on my 2.1 Year old Premier so I did that and added the Roamio Pro at $399 lifetime.

Week later when I've transferred everything from the 2.1 year old I called back to CANCEL Service as the first of the month I was going to monthly without commitment. That's when the CSR said "Oh I see you just added a Roamio Pro Lifetime, is this the box you are replacing?"
I said yes and that is when she offered me $199 lifetime on the 2.1 year old box which also still has 0.9 left on its 3 year extended warranty. Getting rid of it since my other Premier is an XL and this one is just regular with the small HD.

On my account page the "next service plan" for the Premier is listed as $199 lifetime to take effect on 2/1/14.
FWIW
Brighton Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:34 AM   #968
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Fwiw, I just picked up a new Roamio Pro & Mini, both with Lifetime. Right out of the gate their price wasn't as low as the winter promo mail. When I pointed that out I ended up with around $800 for the Pro $200 for the Mini. I picked up an extra remote too, but the Slides are still out of stock.

So if you've been a long time customer it's certainly worth ask for better prices.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #969
alyssa

when i called a few weeks ago to start service on a new premiere, the CSR said i didn't qualify for MSD because i didn't have any 'qualifying unit'

to which i responded i've had tivos since 03, i don't know what a qualifying unit was. lol
he then came back & said i had pushed through a msd on my parents premiere the week after christmas for a month to month so they really couldn't do another MSD on my lifetime premiere.

to which i responded, oh yeah, i'm still within my 30 day trial on that unit, why don't we cancel the month to month unit then re-enroll it on a full price month to month with a 1 year comitment & then you can give me the lifetime multi service discount on my unit.

he choked and said 'you want to cancel a service?"
he disappeared for 5 min's, then said "i talked to my boss & my bosses boss & we'll give you the MSD on your lifetime--- "

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #970
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
when i called a few weeks ago to start service on a new premiere, the CSR said i didn't qualify for MSD because i didn't have any 'qualifying unit'

to which i responded i've had tivos since 03, i don't know what a qualifying unit was. lol
he then came back & said i had pushed through a msd on my parents premiere the week after christmas for a month to month so they really couldn't do another MSD on my lifetime premiere.

to which i responded, oh yeah, i'm still within my 30 day trial on that unit, why don't we cancel the month to month unit then re-enroll it on a full price month to month with a 1 year comitment & then you can give me the lifetime multi service discount on my unit.

he disappeared for 5 min's, then said "i talked to my boss & my bosses boss & we'll give you the MSD on your lifetime--- "
So which MSD did they give you?
(I've seen several different statements so I'm not sure which is which.)
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #971
alyssa

they let me keep the month to month msd on my parents unit AND gave me the msd on a new premiere i wanted to put lifetime on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #972
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
they let me keep the month to month msd on my parents unit AND gave me the msd on a new premiere i wanted to put lifetime on
How much was it a month?
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #973
alyssa

idk, $13/m the standard msd for a new sub.
i didn't have any subs i could transfer the new premiere into.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #974
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
he disappeared for 5 min's, then said "i talked to my boss & my bosses boss..."
Yup, losing customers is a no-no. Had to pull that out more than once back in the days of having DirecTV and dealing with CSR nonsense. But much like the fable, you don't want to go crying wolf too often...
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #975
Lyrical1

My apologies for dropping into this thread so late, but it seems like an on-going guide for getting the best deal on a Roamio, so here goes.

I have had Tivos for more than a decade and had several SD units initially with DTV and now have one 5-year-old lifetime (HD XL) with a Comcast cablecard.

Reading through this thread, it seems that people have been getting some pretty good deals on Roamios (when moving from monthly to lifetime?). I tried phoning Tivo and they wouldn't do anything for me other than their recent current-user deals with lifetime service (Roamio Basic: $575, Roamio Plus: $750, and Roamio Pro: $900)

Are these the best prices? Is there some secret password to use to get a better deal? Thanks for any assistance.
Lyrical1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #976
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrical1 View Post
Are these the best prices? Is there some secret password to use to get a better deal? Thanks for any assistance.
The basic Roamio has been listed at $149 occasionally on Amazon, that sort of deal might come up again. You'd still be able to get the MSD on lifetime. Not a big savings though over the TiVo offer.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #977
Lyrical1

Grumpy Old Geek, thanks. In reviewing this thread again, it seems that those who are getting these great deals on lifetime service (like $99) are those who had been on month-to-month service and whose contract period is now up. They call, threatening to cancel their service, and then the Tivo rep may offer them a sweet deal if they now go to lifetime.

But, for those purchasing new Tivos there's not much of a better deal than that which Tivo offers its current clients. Oh well.
Lyrical1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #978
ncfoster

As it was explained to me on the phone, I do not believe that there is any need to threaten anything. I believe that offering $99 lifetime on most units that have been subscribed for at least 2 years is now standard. There may be some other limitations that I am not aware of, but the various reps that I talked to weren't shy about it at all, and even recommended getting lifetime and selling the unit on eBay. Just figure it will save people some grief if they realize that they don't need to threaten anything or complain to get the deal.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:20 PM   #979
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post
As it was explained to me on the phone, I do not believe that there is any need to threaten anything. I believe that offering $99 lifetime on most units that have been subscribed for at least 2 years is now standard. There may be some other limitations that I am not aware of, but the various reps that I talked to weren't shy about it at all, and even recommended getting lifetime and selling the unit on eBay. Just figure it will save people some grief if they realize that they don't need to threaten anything or complain to get the deal.
This is a "blanket post" intended for the benefit of all:

There's a trend on TCF where people say "X years old", which is not really relevant. It should be "on active subscription, which has been active for at least 3 years", the status on the System Information screen MUST be "in good standing".

Generally a monthly sub, with or without commitment period, that has been continuously/contiguously active for 3 or more years gets you the $99 LTS offer, if they are going to give it to you. The best way to get the deal offered is to call to remove the TiVo service subscription from the desired unit (whether or not that is your true intention). Otherwise, they are less likely to give you the offer. YMMV, depending on when you call, and if you have purchased a newer model recently, along with "behind the scenes" matters with what TiVo reps are authorized to offer (or not, at that time).

There is a YMMV offer where if the unit has been subbed for 2 or more years, just less than 3, where they may offer $199 LTS, but it's not always on the table. The same easy way to get it (calling to cancel) applies.

If you just call asking about the offer, it's the minority that actually get it (YMMV). You become the majority by not asking about the deal, and going straight to calling to cancel (YMMV).

Calling to cancel gets you sent directly to the "retention" department, staffed with the people who want to give you an offer, if they can at the time. They have the ability to use their discretion, and sometimes use their own judgement (but, may sometimes need a supervisor's OK).

Calling in just to ask for offers usually won't get you sent to retention, unless you switch from asking for a deal, to being sent to the cancellation department. Why waste your time playing CSR Roulette, when such a quicker, easier, and more likely to proceed option exists?

As other have stated, TiVo takes notes every time you call. It is ill-advised to try asking first, then trying the cancellation approach, when any department will see you are seeking out a deal, which may cause them to believe it could be an empty request (threat)?

It's only on limited-time occasions, where calling to ask for anything other than a cancellation results in being given an offer, and the YMMV factors increase, regardless.

I'm not advocating threatening or blackmailing TiVo by using the "call to cancel" approach. I'm just saying it can save time, and the number of calls you need to make. Just because you get a deal offered without bringing up cancelling a service sub, doesn't mean everybody will get the offer too.

While those rare, and often time-sensitive (limited time) offers have existed, from time to time, where you get an offer without doing anything but calling in, for any reason, it doesn't mean they are now "standard practice" just because somebody got one.

I think what you might truly mean, is to call in to make some form of account change (add a unit, change existing service plans, etc), and you may just be presented an offer. It happens, but only when the CSRs have been directed to look for those 3 yr, or sometimes 2yr, subs and make the offers. When that is not what they are directed to do, the retention department is still your best shot.

I'd rather my TiVo call logs show I've called in to cancel, didn't ask for an offer, was given one, and accepted it, rather than my call logs showing me asking for deals, and accepting them. As long as they buy that you didn't call in looking for deals, it increases the odds that a future request that you make yourself, for a deal, may be considered and granted. Less so, if your call logs show a history of seeking deals and being given them.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #980
Silly Burrito

It looks like Best Buy has stopped offering the $50 discount, and Amazon has brought the price back up to $179. Is Amazon's price still the best out there? Should've picked it up at $149, I guess, but my DirecTV contract ends tomorrow. Ah well..
Silly Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #981
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Burrito View Post
It looks like Best Buy has stopped offering the $50 discount, and Amazon has brought the price back up to $179. Is Amazon's price still the best out there? Should've picked it up at $149, I guess, but my DirecTV contract ends tomorrow. Ah well..
I'll sell you my Roamio pro and 2 minis, all with lifetime.
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:31 PM   #982
Silly Burrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Thanks, but I just want the basic for OTA. Still never understood why they only allow OTA on the basic one.
Silly Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #983
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Burrito View Post
Still never understood why they only allow OTA on the basic one.
To save hardware costs on the Plus and Pro models. To get OTA on the Plus and Pro models, TiVo would have had to add an additional OTA tuner and possibly another microchip with its associated drivers.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #984
sangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Nope, just used it this past Monday.
sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #985
M.Jones2014

HarperVision

Quote:
Would you sell just the roamio, and if so, how much?
M.Jones2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #986
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Jones2014 View Post

Would you sell just the roamio, and if so, how much?
PM me with an offer.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #987
Nailz

Quote:
Dave,

I could not send a PM to you, my post count is not high enough.

I was curious as to why you are selling your Tivo equipment? I have been researching alternatives to cable DVR/box rental and have settled on the Tivo as my preferred solution. I am looking to purchase a Roamio Plus with two Mini's, all with lifetime. I have been waiting for a discount or sale because of the large up front cost.

Are there any problems buying equipment from an individual as far as registering equipment & lifetime service with Tivo?

I noticed you have both your CTS and ISF, congrats. I have my CTS and having been working on my Crestron programming cert.

Thanks, Curtis
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #988
Kishore

There are always alternatives (moving from cable, making a quick buck, HTPC et al)...

Hope there will be better deals coming up.
Kishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #989
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
Dave, I could not send a PM to you, my post count is not high enough. I was curious as to why you are selling your Tivo equipment? I have been researching alternatives to cable DVR/box rental and have settled on the Tivo as my preferred solution. I am looking to purchase a Roamio Plus with two Mini's, all with lifetime. I have been waiting for a discount or sale because of the large up front cost. Are there any problems buying equipment from an individual as far as registering equipment & lifetime service with Tivo? I noticed you have both your CTS and ISF, congrats. I have my CTS and having been working on my Crestron programming cert. Thanks, Curtis
Are you on AVS and have enough posts to PM there? If so I'm "Dave Harper" there.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #990
Nailz

No I am not registered on the AVS forum, although I am a lurker there, LOL. If you PM me then maybe I could respond?
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote